Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: deciaml places
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers deciaml places Post 302133666 by jim mcnamara on Friday 24th of August 2007 03:16:30 PM
Old 08-24-2007
Code:
TABLEAVG=`echo " $TABLECHARS/$TABLELINES" | bc -l`
printf "%5.4f" $TABLEAVG

printf -- the %5.4 controls the number of decimal places - otherwise you can a get a lot whith just
Code:
echo $TABLEAVG

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX lp spooling places

Does anybody know if HP-UX uses any other directories besides /var/spool/lp/request to spool print jobs? I checked the man pages, and it only mentions /var/spool/lp in general. I was just wondering if anyone knew of some other place it might possibly use. thanks in advance for any help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doeboy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rotate an array by 2 places

I have an array a={0,1,2,3,4} The out put should be: 3,4,0,1,2 Please can any body write code for this program? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ansar basha.k
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Four decimal places with awk

i have a script in which awk prints "($2-1700)/10000" and the answer is -0.07,but i want the answer in 4 decimal places. that is -0.0700. How can i sue awk to get my results in four decimal places (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimal places

i need to multiplay a number with 1.00.. so that the output should contain two decimal places at end.. for example... 236 * 1.00 = 236.00 245.8 * 1.00 = 245.80 but when i perform multiplication it shows output as. 236 245.8 can anyone help me to get the actual output of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert underscore at certain places

Hi all, I have to insert underscore at certain places(places before and after PAxxx/PAxxxx entries in a big file like this ESR1 PA156 leflunomide PA450192 CHST3 PA26503 docetaxel tungstate Pa4586; thalidomide Pa34958; PAxxx/PAxxxx entries are metioned between 2 names in each row ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Channeling output to 2 places

Below is my requirement. When I type 'ls' from the command prompt, 1. I need the output/listing to be shown on screen(which happens by default) 2. Also a file named a.txt should be populated with the output of 'ls' comma nd. How should I do this? -Yuvaraj. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yuvaraj737
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to interchange the places of 1st name and last name?

cat emp.lst 12 |Rob Cliff |G.M. 14 |Mark Rob |Chairman Please use awk to invert the names in the file emp.lst, i.e. the surname should be 1st and then the 1st name. There are trailing spaces even in each field making them fixed length. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Sync script between two places

Hello Team, We would like to copy or sync a couple a zpool and all dataset inside between two datacenters one time per day, the structure and space are the same in both sides. We are consider to use rsync and a cron job. We would like to know what type of ports we have to open in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csierra
1 Replies

9. Programming

Badly places ()'s on C

I dont know why this Linux would give me badly placed () error all the time for this; #include <stdio.h> int main() { register int num=0 ; while ((num < 5)) ++num; printf("Pass %d \n", num) ; return 0 ; } can anyone help me please? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sizzler786
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum the fields with 6 decimal places - getting only 2 decimal places as output

I used the below script to Sum up a field in a file based on some unique values. But the problem is when it is summing up the units, it is truncating to 2 decimals and not 6 decimals as in the input file (Input file has the units with up to 6 Decimals – Sample data below, when the units in the 2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brlsubbu
4 Replies
ECHO(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   ECHO(1)

NAME
echo -- write arguments to the standard output SYNOPSIS
echo [-n] [string ...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes any specified operands, separated by single blank (' ') characters and followed by a newline (' ') character, to the standard output. The following option is available: -n Do not print the trailing newline character. This may also be achieved by appending 'c' to the end of the string, as is done by iBCS2 compatible systems. Note that this option as well as the effect of 'c' are implementation-defined in IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. Applications aiming for maximum portability are strongly encouraged to use printf(1) to sup- press the newline character. Some shells may provide a builtin echo command which is similar or identical to this utility. Most notably, the builtin echo in sh(1) does not accept the -n option. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. EXIT STATUS
The echo utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), printf(1), sh(1) STANDARDS
The echo utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1'') as amended by Cor. 1-2002. BSD
April 12, 2003 BSD