Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with changing directory and subdirectories to read only Post 302133168 by Yogesh Sawant on Wednesday 22nd of August 2007 08:46:18 AM
Old 08-22-2007
try this:
Code:
find ~/test -type d | grep -v "^.$" | xargs chmod 444

find command selects all directories and subdirectories (recursively) in the ~/test directory
grep command weeds out . which represents current directory (this may not be necessary in your case)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

makefiles in a directory and subdirectories

I need to develop a makefile that spans across directories. For example, let's say i have an upper level directory (main) and about 2 subdirectories. I want my .cpp files and .o files to be in one subdirectory. I want my .a files to be in the other subdirectory. The .a files are made up of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: benjie_asu
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Can I Make Subdirectories In A Directory?

I cant remember how, i use to know but its been like 2 years since ive used shell can anyone help me? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kprescod4158
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search files in a directory and its subdirectories

Hello my friends, I need to write a simple shell bad file :D that search and delete a file it's name 'Microsoft.txt' in the current directory and its subdirectories? So can you help to guide me how i can write this shell, Just give me the beginning :o thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Net-Man
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with changing default home directory

Hi I want to change the default home directory of a user by modifying the /etc/passwd. I have a user named John cat /etc/passwd | grep John john:x:503:506::/home/john/:/bin Here is my script: echo "Enter username"; read username; echo "Enter new home directory"; read new_path; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read files from subdirectories

hello there the problem i got: i need to list .rrd files in each sub-directory from the parent directory, then create .xml files for each rrd files, the xml file should be in the same subdirectoryas rrd file. i have tried ls |awk '{print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: binbintriangel
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove directory with subdirectories and files?

I'm trying to remove several directories which contains sun-dirs and files inside. I used the command rm -r <dirname> But, it always ask "examine file in directory <dirname> yes/no?" line by line. So, i need to write "y" for every line. How can i skip this step and remove all directories with... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppa108
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find directory name while traversing subdirectories

Hi, I have a parent directory in which I have sub directories of different depth /usr/usr1/user2/671 /usr/usr1/672 /usr/user2/user1/673 /usr/user2/user3/user4/674 And I need the names of all the directories that which starts only with 6 in a file. Thanks, (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying subdirectories of a directory to some other directory and renaming them

Hi, I am a newbie in shell scripting. I have to copy a particular sub-directory (data) from a large no. of directories (all in the same folder) and paste them to another directory ( /home/hubble/data ) and then rename all the subdirectories (data) as the name of its parent directory. please... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sholay
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing mode of files in subdirectories

Hi I actually need to change the mode to 777 in the current directory as well as subdirectories how to achieve that. I have /usr/sol/home/workfold as the main directory there are many directies and files in the workfold directory . I need to chmod 777 to all the directories and files under... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive copy into a directory and all its subdirectories...

I want to copy a file from the top directory into all the sub-folders and all of the sub-folders of those sub-folder etc. Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Thanks in advance of any help you can give. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EinsteinMcfly
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)