Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Check for numeric inputs
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check for numeric inputs Post 302132957 by namishtiwari on Tuesday 21st of August 2007 06:27:09 AM
Old 08-21-2007
MySQL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynon
Hi All,

How do i modify the below script such that if the input is numeric, it will give the numeric digit, else it will ouput "0"

Code:
echo "xxx"  | awk '/^[0-9]+$/'

Here is the script that will do for you..

#!/bin/ksh
echo "Digits as input"
read number

test=`echo "$number" | egrep "^[0-9]+$"`

if [ "$test" ]
then
echo "Entered number is a digit"
else
echo "0"
fi

Instead of egrep you can use awk,grep or any command for searching patterns.

Thanks
Namish

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

to check variable if its non numeric

if test $b -ne then echo "\n\n\n\tPassword reset has been done successfully" else echo "\n\n\n\tAn error occurred" fi i want to check whether $b is non-numeric so how to do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check whether it is a non-numeric character

Below is the abstract of the script which is working fine. if ] then error_process "Invalid month format." return 1 fi I am doing validation for month and it errors if the value is > 12 or < 0. In addition, I want to add another condition to error if it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sony_dada
2 Replies

3. Programming

check the given string is numeric or not.

Hi, how to check the given string is numeric or not , without converting ( using strtol...). for ex: if string is C01 - non-numeric data if string is 001 - numeric data TIA (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: knowledge_gain
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for Numeric output in Perl

Hi All, I would like to convert my below csh script to Perl. Can any expert help ? # To check for numeric input set tested1 = `echo "$tested"| awk '/^+$/'`; # To remove un-neccessary zeros set tested2 = `echo "$tested"|awk '{print $0+0}'`; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if the file contains only numeric values

How to check if the file contains only numeric values. I don't want to read entire file it eats lot of cpu Or any way which consumes less memory n cpu.. Please suggest -S (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if a column is having a numeric value or not in a file?

Hi, I want to know, how we find out if a column is having a numeric value or not. For Example if we have a csv file as ASDF,QWER,GHJK,123,FGHY,9876 GHTY,NVHR,WOPI,623,HFBS,5386 we need to find out if the 4th and 6th column has muneric value or not. Thanks in advance Keerthan (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: keerthan
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for a Numeric Value?

Using shell, I have a variable, how can I check that variable for a numeric value such as "41.0"? My program needs to do one things if the numeric value is found, and another if something else such as a string of letter is found. is there a specific character that denotes a numeral? The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chagan02
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if a string is numeric

I checked all the previous threads related to this and tried this. My input is all numbers or decimals greater than zero everytime. I want to check the same in the korn shell script. Just validate the string to be numeric. This is what I am doing. var="12345" if ) -o "$var" !=... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether input is numeric

Hello there, find below for my code first: $pdp_asaba=`cat /tmp/temp_total | grep asaba | sed 's/*//g'` if ]] then pdp_asaba=0 fi $pdp_abuja=`cat /tmp/temp_total | grep abuja | sed 's/*//g'` if ]] then pdp_abuja=0 fi $pdp_ojota=`cat /tmp/temp_total | grep ojota | sed 's/*//g'` if ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Noob question: How to check the total number of inputs entered by user?

Say I have this line: read -p "Enter 3 numbers: " num1 num2 num3; I want to write a while loop that repeatedly asks for input if the number of inputs entered is not equal to 3. I don't know the correct command to find the number of inputs entered. Help, please? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jejemonx
4 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)