Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Matching a choice of character in test command Post 302132919 by Ygor on Tuesday 21st of August 2007 01:40:02 AM
Old 08-21-2007
Or...
Code:
case $answer in [Yy]) exit 0 ;; esac

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

character matching

Is there a way to pull out a character at a time from a work in unix, using a shell script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rukshan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test return character.

Hi, in my korn shell I have this code: typeset -uL1 rc read rc?"Insert Y=Yes (default) or N=No >>" If I press enter without value I wish to set rc=Y. This is my default. This test: if ] then .... Do not work. I hope in your help. Thanks in advance. Regards, Giovanni (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching repeated character

looking for a bit of help with sed. I have a file that looks a bit like this: sdfghhjk asdfdfghgj asdfhgghj werdfvtfh edftbgh 1211211221 sdffgfm dfghnhjm dfvfsgbgh adsfv bdhgn 1111111dffg dfv1122 dsgvbghn111111 fffffffgbdghn fffffff sfgh3333gs vdf (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcl: regexp matching special character

Hello Experts, Can someone help me here: I have a variable which contains a string with "". set var1 {a} set str1 {a is the element i want to match} Now "regexp $var1 $str1" does not work? ("regexp {a\} $str1" works, but var1 gets it's value automatically from another script) Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitgarg
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Matching character

Alright, I am stuck here. I have this variable that stores the word = HELLO and I have converted it it to ----- I have asked user to input one character at a time. SAy, if they enter E. Therefore, I need to search 2nd character and input E there. makes it -E--- (other checkings have been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching multiples of a single character using sed and awk

Hi, I have a file 'imei_01.txt' having the following contents: $ cat imei_01.txt a123456 bbr22135 yet223 where I want to check whether the expression 'first single alphabet followed by 6 digits' is present in the file (here it is the first record 'a123456') I am using the following... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching on any special character in Unix

Hi, I have field in a file which would come with any special character, how do i check that field? Eg: @123TYtaasa>>>/ 131dfetr_~2 In the above example, how do I add pattern for any special character on the keyboard. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tcsh - test for character in string for if then

I apologize if this treads already covered ground (which I sure it must have), however I wasn't able to determine what I needed from searches. I'm trying to do detemine if a string represents a file name or not (i.e., is in the form "string.ext" or just "string"), by seeing if there's a period... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepstructure
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test command with special character not work

Hi all, Case 1 : A=88^M && echo "PASS" Result: PASS Case 2: A=88 && echo "PASS" Result: PASS I would like to know why Case 1 and Case 2 got the same result? What make ^M ignored ? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: montor
6 Replies
UPSCLI_LIST_NEXT(3)						    NUT Manual						       UPSCLI_LIST_NEXT(3)

NAME
upscli_list_next - retrieve list items from a UPS SYNOPSIS
#include <upsclient.h> int upscli_list_next(UPSCONN_t *ups, int numq, const char **query, int *numa, char ***answer) DESCRIPTION
The upscli_list_next() function takes the pointer ups to a UPSCONN_t state structure, and the pointer query to an array of numq query elements. It performs a read from the network and expects to find either another list item or the end of a list. You must call upscli_list_start(3) before calling this function. This function will return 1 and set values in numa and answer if a list item is received. If the list is done, it will return 0, and the values in numa and answer are undefined. Calling this function after it returns something other than 1 is undefined. QUERY FORMATTING
You may not change the values of numq or query between the call to upscli_list_start(3) and the first call to this function. You also may not change the values between calls to this function. ANSWER FORMATTING
The contents of numa and answer work just like a call to upscli_get(3). The values returned by upsd(8) are identical to a single item request, so this is not surprising. ERROR CHECKING
This function checks the response from upsd(8) against your query. If the response is not part of the list you have requested, it will return an error code. When this happens, upscli_upserror(3) will return UPSCLI_ERR_PROTOCOL. RETURN VALUE
The upscli_list_next() function returns 1 when list data is present, 0 if the list is finished, or -1 if an error occurs. It is possible to have an empty list. The function will return 0 for its first call in that case. SEE ALSO
upscli_list_start(3), upscli_strerror(3), upscli_upserror(3) Network UPS Tools 05/22/2012 UPSCLI_LIST_NEXT(3)