Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SED for XML's
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED for XML's Post 302132552 by matrixmadhan on Friday 17th of August 2007 10:16:59 AM
Old 08-17-2007
Code:
echo "<BOOK>:</BOOK>" | sed 's!:</BOOK>!:   </BOOK>!g'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed with xml files

Hello I'm working on a project modifying XML files in Unix and, I would like to use sed to change these values. For example, I've got a tag <book>354678209<\book> and I want to replace the value 354678209 with a another value without having to go into the file and change it manually. How can I do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stonemonolith
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed with xml files part 2

I'm trying to replace a date in an XML file that has the format mm/dd/yyyy. I'm using the Unix date function to set up a variable with the current date but, when I try to replace the value in the XML file, the error message says it cannot be parsed. Here is the command I'm using ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stonemonolith
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace string in XML with sed

Greetings, I have an XML : file.xml <component> <name>abcd</name> <value>1234</value> </component> I am using sed to replace abcd with the desired value dynamically without knowing the actual value. sed 's/<name>./]\{1,\}<\/name>/<name>ijkl<\/name>/' file.xml > newfile.xml I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed xml challenge

I have a web xml file that looks like this: <allinfo> <info> <a>Name1<\a> <b>address1<\b> <c>phone1<c> <\info> <info> <a>Name2<\a> <b>address2<\b> <c>phone2<c> <\info> <\allinfo> I want to use sed to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katrvu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

modifying xml files using sed

Hello, I have lots of xml files in the same format and I need to modify a xml tag in these files. i loop over the files and apply sed to the files to make the modification but CPU goes to %100 while doing this. I think I'm doing something wrong. Here is my onliner: for f in $( find . -name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyzt
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED extract XML value

I have the following string: <min-pool-size>2</min-pool-size> When I pipe the string into the following code I am expcting for it to return just the value "2", but its just reurning the whole string. Why?? sed -n '/<min-pool-size>/,/<\/min-pool-size>/p' Outputting:... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArterialTool
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and XML

I am trying to edit an XML file with sed, and I can successfully do so, but the resulting file no longer opens as an XML file? I am working on a project to automate DVD authoring. I am using DVD Studio Pro, which uses XML files as its instructions for DVD authoring. I've worked out a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starcast
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Again, Sed and Xml

Hi all, I have a xml file like below, <JavaArgs> <containerSet> <container id="333"> <JavaArgs> Very Big String </Javargs> </container> <container id="334"> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nasbtv
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed extract from xml

I have an xml file that generally looks like this: "<row><dnorpattern>02788920</dnorpattern><description/></row><row><dnorpattern>\+ 44146322XXXX</dnorpattern><description/></row><row><dnorpattern>40XXX</dnorpattern><description/></row><row><dnorpattern>11</dn... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garboon
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bit of sed help in XML

Hi all, need some help seeing the bug in my SED Source XML <SMART_FOLDER JOBISN="1" SUB_APPLICATION="PMT-APB" MEMNAME="Job0" JOBNAME="PMT-APB" FOLDER_NAME="PMT-APB"> </SMART_FOLDER> My SED Command sed -e 's/\(<SMART_FOLDER \)\(.*FOLDER_NAME="PMT-APB"\)/\FOLDER_ORDER_METHOD="PCI" \2/' <... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: J-Man
0 Replies
XML::Grove::Subst(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      XML::Grove::Subst(3)

NAME
XML::Grove::Subst - substitute values into a template SYNOPSIS
use XML::Grove::Subst; # Using subst method on XML::Grove::Document or XML::Grove::Element: $new_grove = $source_grove->subst( ARGS ); $new_grove = $source_grove->subst_hash( ARG ); # Using an XML::Grove::Subst instance: $subster = XML::Grove::Subst->new(); $new_grove = $subster->subst( $source_grove, ARGS ); $new_grove = $subster->subst_hash( $source_grove, ARG ); DESCRIPTION
"XML::Grove::Subst" implements XML templates. "XML::Grove::Subst" traverses through a source grove replacing all elements with names `"SUB:XXX"' or `"SUB:key"' with their corresponding values from ARGS (a list) or ARG (a hash), repsectively. METHODS
$grove_obj->subst( ARGS ) =item $subster->subst( $grove_obj, ARGS ) Search for `"SUB:XXX"' elements, where XXX is an array index, and replace the element with the value from ARGS, a list of values. The return value is a new grove with the substitutions applied. $grove_obj->subst_hash( ARG ) =item $subster->subst_hash( $grove_obj, ARG ) Search for `"SUB:key"' elements and replace the element with the value from ARG, a hash of values. The hash key is taken from the `"key"' attribute of the `"SUB:key"' element, for example, `"<SUB:key key='foo'>"'. The return value is a new grove with the substitutions applied. EXAMPLE
The following template, in a file `"template.xml"', could be used for a simple parts database conversion to HTML: <html> <head> <title><SUB:key key='Name'></title> </head> <body> <h1><SUB:key key='Name'></title> <p>Information for part number <SUB:key key='Number'>:</p> <SUB:key key='Description'> </body> </html> To use this template you would first parse it and convert it to a grove, and then use `"subst_hash()"' every time you needed a new page: use XML::Parser::PerlSAX; use XML::Grove; use XML::Grove::Builder; use XML::Grove::Subst; use XML::Grove::PerlSAX; use XML::Handler::XMLWriter; # Load the template $b = XML::Grove::Builder->new(); $p = XML::Parser::PerlSAX->new( Handler = $b ); $source_grove = $p->parse( Source => { SystemId => 'template.xml' } ); # Apply the substitutions $new_grove = $source_grove->subst_hash( { Name => 'Acme DCX-2000 Filter', Number => 'N4728', Description => 'The Best' } ); # Write the new grove to standard output $w = XML::Handler::XMLWriter->new(); $wp = XML::Grove::PerlSAX->new( Handler => $w ); $wp->parse( Source => { Grove => $new_grove } ); AUTHOR
Ken MacLeod, ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us SEE ALSO
perl(1), XML::Grove(3) Extensible Markup Language (XML) <http://www.w3c.org/XML> POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 173: You forgot a '=back' before '=head1' perl v5.16.3 1999-08-25 XML::Grove::Subst(3)