Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed questions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed questions Post 302131997 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 14th of August 2007 04:43:24 PM
Old 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgersh99
Code:
$ echo "19990101"|awk '{print substr($0, 0, 4)}'
$ echo "19990101"|awk '{print substr($0, 1, 4)}'

I guess some awk's are more 'permissive' than others - try it with '1'
Ok, I'm confinced and 1 works properly, though in that case, it's for reason of compatabilty better to start with 1, which is used in a lots of tutorials and books.

Regards

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unpratical SED and GREP questions

Hello every one, I have read a little about SED and GREP but I do not know how to do this: Using SED or GREP: "reverse all three letter words" "replace the last two digits in any string of digits by zeros (0)" "remove lines that start and end with the same word" and I have more like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lem2003
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed questions-Please Help

I am using this command to replace a text string in a data file: sed -e 's/ab/test2/g' -e 's/abcxyz/test1/g' datafile datafile contains: ab abcxyz My results: test2 test2cxyz I want my results to be: test2 test1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
7 Replies

3. Programming

two questions

hey all, I have question when am writing simple shell... in the child am calling execvp, i want the parent to know when execvp returns - 1. how can i let the parent know the result of execvp thanks in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

...yet another string of awk/sed questions from a RegExp-Challenged luser %-\

Greetings all, ...here is yet another string of awk/sed questions from a RegExp-Challenged luser :eek: I'm looking to have sed/awk do some clean-up on routing tables and to that end, I would like to do the following: 1.) If a line contains the word "masks" or "subnets" prepend CR/LF to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: SteveB-in-LV
16 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and sed exact match questions

This was mistaken as homework in a different forum, but is not. These are questions that are close to what I am trying to do at work. QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and sed exact match questions

This post was previously mistaken for homework, but is actually a small piece of what I working on at work. Please answer if you can. QUESTION1 How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/grep questions

Hi. I have a txt file. I need to make a copy of the lines which are beginning with a mobile phone number, or a fix phone number. I have to copy thoose lines in numbers.txt, after that i have to delete then from the originally file. In numbers.txt i need to write a prefix before each number. if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: T720
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Couple of easy questions for experts on awk/sed

Hello Experts.. I have 3-4 C codes with Oracle SQL statements embedded. All the SQL statements starts with EXEC SQL keyword and ends with ;. I want to extract all the SQL statements out of these codes. I did awk '/^EXEC SQL/,/\;/' inputFile (I use this on all of the codes individually). That... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
2 Replies
GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)                                               User Commands                                              GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)

NAME
grub-render-label - generate a .disk_label for Apple Macs. SYNOPSIS
grub-render-label [OPTION...] [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
Render Apple .disk_label. -b, --bgcolor=COLOR use COLOR for background -c, --color=COLOR use COLOR for text -f, --font=FILE use FILE as font (PF2). -i, --input=FILE read text from FILE. -o, --output=FILE set output filename. Default is STDOUT -t, --text=STRING set the label to render -v, --verbose print verbose messages. -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-render-label is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-render-label programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-render-label should give you access to the complete manual. grub-render-label (GRUB) 2.02-2ubuntu8.3 July 2018 GRUB-RENDER-LABEL(1)