Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl problem - why isn't 'die' being called? Post 302131831 by Yogesh Sawant on Tuesday 14th of August 2007 01:16:28 AM
Old 08-14-2007
from the man pages:
Code:
The return value is the exit status of the program as returned by the wait call.
To get the actual exit value, shift right by eight (see below). See also exec.
This is not what you want to use to capture the output from a command, for that you should use merely backticks or qx//, as described in "`STRING`" in perlop.
Return value of -1 indicates a failure to start the program or an error of the wait(2) system call (inspect $! for the reason).

see system - perldoc.perl.org

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to determine if a script (perl) was called from a CRON job or commandline

Hi, Is there a way to determine if a Script is called from a CRON job or from a commandline Gerry. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerryMcguire
2 Replies

2. Solaris

what time did my process die ??

Hi there I have a backup script that runs every night and for some reason ive been getting in in the morning and the process has died, Is there any way I can tell when it died? if not .....would anybody recommend some scripting that i could do that would be able to tell me this information ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Python 2.5 must die.

I am using SunOS 5.7 I have installed Python 2.5 via make install Without going into details, I'd like to uninstall it and replace it with an earlier version. Maybe as far back as 2.2.3. Unfortuantely, make uninstall gives me Don't know how to make target 'uninstall'. This is thematically... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dbecker
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl problem - another 'die' issue.

two things. why doesn't the 'die' message get displayed - "Error: release log directory creation failed..."? why does the script name and line number get displayed despite the inclusion of a '\n'. apparently adding a newline prevents this from happening. if (! -d "$logdir") { use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl process loop isn't running

I'm trying to figure out why the perl process we have running in a loop isn't working. Basically its setup to read our queue from Amazon SQS with the results getting inserted into the db. We are using EC2 for video transcoding and once the conversion takes place our web server hosted outside... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwick6
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from a pipe or die in perl

I have a perl program that I want to read from a file passed as an argument or from a pipe. If their is no pipe or arguments, I want it to output a help message. I am stuck on how to prevent perl from reading from the keyboard if it isn't fed any file names or data from a pipe. The only things I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
4 Replies

7. Programming

Can perl get a pagename when called from iframe?

how? there is html-page with: <iframe> <!--#exec cgi="perl-script"--> </iframe> so in that perl-script need to delegate the name of html-page why? too lazy for ajax (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tip78
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to find where functions is called in c

Hello, I need to write a perl script to find where functions is called in c files.. The script should scan the file and find out the function names and then search to see where they are called... Lets for now assume all functions are internal. I don't know where to start :( ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bojomojo
4 Replies
PPERL(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 PPERL(1p)

NAME
PPerl - Make perl scripts persistent in memory SYNOPSIS
$ pperl foo.pl DESCRIPTION
This program turns ordinary perl scripts into long running daemons, making subsequent executions extremely fast. It forks several processes for each script, allowing many processes to call the script at once. It works a lot like SpeedyCGI, but is written a little differently. I didn't use the SpeedyCGI codebase, because I couldn't get it to compile, and needed something ASAP. The easiest way to use this is to change your shebang line from: #!/usr/bin/perl -w To use pperl instead: #!/usr/bin/pperl -w WARNINGS
Like other persistent environments, this one has problems with things like BEGIN blocks, global variables, etc. So beware, and try checking the mod_perl guide at http://perl.apache.org/guide/ for lots of information that applies to many persistent perl environments. Parameters $ pperl <perl params> -- <pperl params> scriptname <script params> The perl params are sent to the perl binary the first time it is started up. See perlrun for details. The pperl params control how pperl works. Try -h for an overview. The script params are passed to the script on every invocation. The script also gets any current environment variables, the current working directory, and everything on STDIN. Killing In order to kill a currently running PPerl process, use: pperl -- -k <scriptname> You need to make sure the path to the script is the same as when it was invoked. Alternatively look for a .pid file for the script in your tmp directory, and kill (with SIGINT) the process with that PID. ENVIRONMENT
pperl uses the PPERL_TMP_PATH environment variable to determine the directory where to store the files used for inter-process communication. By default, the subdirectory .pperl of the user's home directory is used. BUGS
The process does not reload when the script or modules change. $^S is not represented identically with respect to perl, since your script will be run within an eval block AUTHOR
Matt Sergeant, matt@sergeant.org. Copyright 2001 MessageLabs Ltd. SEE ALSO
perl. perlrun. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 PPERL(1p)