Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to reformat a hard disk
Operating Systems Solaris how to reformat a hard disk Post 302131598 by porter on Sunday 12th of August 2007 11:44:48 PM
Old 08-13-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_balodoy
is labeled to have 2.1G capacity but when I invoke the format command, it only has 1.05G of memory.
It may be a count of 512 byte sectors, not a count of kilobytes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk Problem

Does anyone know of any commands that offer the same sort of facilities of scandisk on windows. My Linux server (Mandrake 6.2) keeps crashing and gives hard disk errors when I reboot. I've used fcsk to fix any problems that arise but when I use dumpe2fs to display disk information it says that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DGM
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hard disk problems

Hi all I am facing a strange problem. I am using a sun ultra10 spark machine. first i took a 20gb IDE hard disk and installed solaris 5.8. But due to some requirement i have to reinstall the OS but this time solaris 2.6. and now the hard disk capacity is only showing 8gb. Where the 12gb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
3 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

hard disk meltdown

I had an issue with a second hard disk in my machine. I have a sparc station running solaris 7. It was working fine but now it wont mount on boot up and when you try to mount it manually it gives an I/O error. I tried a different disk as a control which was fine. What I want to know is if my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henrik
3 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hard Disk

I have a cuestion. How Can I to add other hard disk to my computer? I need to configurate anyone? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaraver
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk at 99% Help!

:eek: I use this Solaris to run CMS a call acounting software package for my job. No one could run reports today because it said the this when you logged on "The following file systems are low, and could adversely affect server performance: File system /: 99%full" Can some one please explain... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannyisme
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reformat WD 500 GB hard drive for Linux machine

Linux Red Hat machine GNOME version 2.16.0 External hard drive is a Western Digital 500 GB My Book Essential. How can I reformat the external hard drive so that I can backup my Linux machine? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jm4smtddd
1 Replies

7. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Need help for getting hard-disk traces

When we write a programme,we declare variables and compiler allocates memory to them.I want to get access to the physical block number of hard-disk where actually the data is stored by the programme " Some one help me out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nagraz007
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help for getting hard-disk traces

When we write a programme,we declare variables and compiler allocates memory to them.I want to get access to the physical block number of hard-disk where actually the data is stored by the programme " Some one help me out... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagraz007
3 Replies

10. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies
BLOCKDEV(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       BLOCKDEV(8)

NAME
blockdev - call block device ioctls from the command line SYNOPSIS
blockdev [-q] [-v] command [command...] device [device...] blockdev --report [device...] DESCRIPTION
The utility blockdev allows one to call block device ioctls from the command line. OPTIONS
-V Print version and exit. -q Be quiet. -v Be verbose. --report Print a report for the specified device. It is possible to give multiple devices. If none is given, all devices which appear in /proc/partitions are shown. Note that the partition StartSec is in 512-byte sectors. COMMANDS
It is possible to give multiple devices and multiple commands. --flushbufs Flush buffers. --getalignoff Get alignment offset. --getbsz Print blocksize in bytes. --getdiscardzeroes Get discard zeroes support status. --getfra Get filesystem readahead in 512-byte sectors. --getiomin Get minimum I/O size. --getioopt Get optimal I/O size. --getmaxsect Get max sectors per request --getpbsz Get physical block (sector) size. --getra Print readahead (in 512-byte sectors). --getro Get read-only. Print 1 if the device is read-only, 0 otherwise. --getsize64 Print device size in bytes. --getsize Print device size (32-bit!) in sectors. Deprecated in favor of the --getsz option. --getss Print sectorsize in bytes - usually 512. --getsz Get size in 512-byte sectors. --rereadpt Reread partition table --setbsz bytes Set blocksize. --setfra sectors Set filesystem readahead (same like --setra on 2.6 kernels). --setra sectors Set readahead (in 512-byte sectors). --setro Set read-only. --setrw Set read-write. AUTHOR
blockdev was written by Andries E. Brouwer and rewritten by Karel Zak. AVAILABILITY
The blockdev command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Aug 2010 BLOCKDEV(8)