Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming error: field has incomplete type Post 302131203 by porter on Thursday 9th of August 2007 02:05:32 PM
Old 08-09-2007
Are you aware of the terms "user-space" and "kernel-space"?

The macro "__KERNEL__" is being used to give you the appropriate types and sizes for which ever environment your code is being compiled for.

So if you were compiling a driver or kernel module you would have "-D__KERNEL__" as one of your compile options.

A type *may* have a different layout depending on whether it's part of user-space or not, for example the kernel may change considerably without the user-space being affected, so defining __KERNEL__ in a user-space program may not have the affect you want.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Accesing structure member:Error:dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

$ gcc -Wall -Werror struct.c struct.c: In function `main': struct.c:18: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type $ cat struct.c #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> /*Declaration of structure*/ struct human { char *first; char gender; int age; } man,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
3 Replies

2. Programming

array type has incomplete element type

Dear colleagues, One of my friend have a problem with c code. While compiling a c program it displays a message like "array type has incomplete element type". Any body can provide a solution for it. Jaganadh.G (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

3. Programming

error: field `fatx_i' has incomplete type

I'm trying to compile a 2.4.26 kernel but I have to apply two patches to it. The patches are: linux-2.4.26-xbox.patch openMosix-2.4.26-1 This is the reason that it doesn't compile. There is only one error but I'm not familiar with C or C++(Unfortunately only Java and some lower-level... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lateralus01
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Build Error: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

I'm getting the following Error: prepare_pcap.c: In function `prepare_pkts': prepare_pcap.c:127: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type prepare_pcap.c:138: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type ==================================== This is the part of the relevant... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: katwala
8 Replies

5. Programming

Dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

// Hello all, I am having this error "Dereferencing pointer to incomplete type " on these 2 lines: xpoint = my_point->x; ypoint = my_point->y; I am having no clue y this is happening. Any help would be greately appreciated!!!! #include<stdio.h> #include<string.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mind@work
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

What type of error is this?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Jul 18 19:31:31 plbp1s sendmail: STARTTLS: read error=syscall error (-1), errno=104, get_error=error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0) ---------- Post updated at 03:08 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:07 AM ---------- # cat /var/log/maillog|egrep -i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find -exec with 2 commands doesn't work (error incomplete staement)

Hi Gurues, I need to modify an existing script that uses find to search a folder, and then move its contents to a folder. What I need to do is run gzip on each file after it's moved. So, I ran this little test: Put a ls.tar file on my $HOME, mkdir tmp, and then: virtuo@tnpmprd01: find .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: llagos
3 Replies

8. Programming

Compilation Error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

I am getting a dereferencing pointer to incomplete type error when i compile the following code on lines highlighted in red. Can anyone help me in identifying what is wrong in the code? #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> typedef struct{ int info; struct node* link ; } node; void... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreeharshasn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error type order

Hi all, Sample data file... 9f680197||y|a|6 9f6801||6 9f68017|20120511|y|6 9f68017|y|1 9f68017|6 9f68017|20120511|N|2 9f68017|MD|212343907|20120511|N|2 9f68017212343907|20120511|N|2 9f68017N|3 9f68017|20120511|y|3 9f68017|MD|212343907|20120511|N|3 9f68017|MD|212343907|20120511|y|3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
3 Replies
kstat_io(9S)						    Data Structures for Drivers 					      kstat_io(9S)

NAME
kstat_io - structure for I/O kstats SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/kstat.h> #include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI) DESCRIPTION
I/O kstat statistics are kept in a kstat_io structure. When kstat_create(9F) creates an I/O kstat, the ks_data field is a pointer to one of these structures. The macro KSTAT_IO_PTR() is provided to retrieve this field. It looks like this: #define KSTAT_IO_PTR(kptr) ((kstat_io_t *)(kptr)->ks_data) STRUCTURE MEMBERS
u_longlong_t nread; /* number of bytes read */ u_longlong_t nwritten; /* number of bytes written *]/ ulong_t reads; /* number of read operations */ ulong_t writes; /* number of write operations */ The nread field should be updated by the driver with the number of bytes successfully read upon completion. The nwritten field should be updated by the driver with the number of bytes successfully written upon completion. The reads field should be updated by the driver after each successful read operation. The writes field should be updated by the driver after each successful write operation. Other I/O statistics are updated through the use of the kstat_queue(9F) functions. SEE ALSO
kstat_create(9F), kstat_named_init(9F), kstat_queue(9F), kstat_runq_back_to_waitq(9F), kstat_runq_enter(9F), kstat_runq_exit(9F), kstat_waitq_enter(9F), kstat_waitq_exit(9F), kstat_waitq_to_runq(9F) Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 4 Apr 1994 kstat_io(9S)