Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NIM Questions
Operating Systems AIX NIM Questions Post 302131068 by johnf on Thursday 9th of August 2007 04:34:50 AM
Old 08-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhfrommn
I'll give you the quick answers to your questions. Detailed answers would fill a whole book. Which, luckily, is already written! Smilie

IBM Redbooks | NIM from A to Z in AIX 5L

NIM does not require all to be on the same subnet. We use one nim master for hundreds of AIX boxes on many subnets. Exactly how I'm not sure, but it definately can be done.

You can definately use NIM to do a bare-metal install of a new server. If you had a hard drive crash you'd replace the drive and install the OS using the same procedures. Then once you have an OS on there you could restore your mksysb to get all the details the same as previously. I'm not sure if you can go directly from the mksysb skipping the initial OS load step or not, but I'm sure the redbook would have that info.
In answer to both of you as follows:

You take the MKSYSB on the client storing the result on the NIM server in for example /export/backup.

You then define the MKSYSB as a NIM resource.

You then allocate the resource to the NIM client to be re-built.

When the crash happens rootvg is replaced on the client and a boot to SMS will occur as there is no O/S. Setup the bootp section of SMS; declare the IP address of the client and the IP address of the NIM server as the server; also declare any gateway address to get round subnet differences. You could try a ping test just to make sure. If all is correct set the client in bootp mode and the system restore will start.

Hope that helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

migrate NIM server through NIM installation

I try to migrate a NIM server from one server to another. I try to do a mksysb on NIM server restore the NIM server's mksysb to a client through NIM installation shutdown NIM server start newly installed client as NIM server Does anyone do this before? who can give me some suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanzhang
1 Replies

2. AIX

Nim

Hello guys, what is a sure-shot single command to find out if the NIM environment is working properly from both master as well as client side? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
2 Replies

3. AIX

NIM Questions

I have been trying to increase the NIM usage in my AIX environment especially for patching, got few questions 1. If I have a service pack available in the nim server, how do I define that particular directory as an LPP source, without again copying it somewhere else ie I want to define that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
5 Replies

4. AIX

Nim

Hello everyone I have two questions. 1.-The NIM and EZNIM are the same. 2.-If I have in one partition NIM installed I need to install EZNIM or I need to unistall NIM and then install EZNIM. Thanks for your comments. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

5. AIX

Back up a client NIM from nim master

Hello everyone Im trying to backup a nim client from nim master but I got this message COMMAND STATUS Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. 0042-001 nim:... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

6. AIX

Nim

Hello I would like to hear your opinions about shell and nimsh I install the nim master on a server and and client nim on others servers. I backup this clients with the NIM master. When Im trying to install the clients with the option nimsh (communication protocol) send me an error ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

8. AIX

NIM : remove nim client info from the client

Hi. I change my client's IP and hostname but I forgot to change anything on the master. How can I redefine or modify my client's resource from my master, or with using smit niminit from my client ? Tks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephnane
2 Replies

9. AIX

Problem in communication nim client with nim master

Hello, I have an AIX6.1 machine which is a nim client to my nim master which is also AIX6.1 machine. I had some problem to perform an installation on my client using smit nim . i removed /etc/niminfo file in order to do the initialization again but when i run the command niminit -a name=client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
0 Replies

10. AIX

How to know NIM name from NIM client?

Friend's, I was playing around with NIM in my environment & had a quick question in mind which I didn't/couldn't find answer to, which is -- how to find the name of the NIM server sitting on the NIM client? All leads to the answer would be much appreciated, many thanks! -- Souvik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies
c-icap-client(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  c-icap-client(8)

NAME
c-icap-client - simple ICAP client SYNOPSIS
c-icap-client [ -i icap_servername ] [ -p port ] [ -s service ] [ -f input_file ] [ -o out_file ] [ -req url ] [ -d debug level ] [ -nore- shdr ] [ -x icap-header ] [ -hx http-header ] [ -v ] DESCRIPTION
c-icap-client is a simple ICAP client. It can be used to test your icap server configuration. OPTIONS
-i icap_servername The hostname of the icap server. The default is localhost -p port The server port. The default port value is 1344 -s service The service name. The default service name is "echo" -f filename Send this file to the icap server. Default is to send an options request -o filename Save output to this file. Default is to send to stdout -req url Send a request modification instead of response modification, using as http url the url provided with this option. -d level debug level info to stdout -noreshdr Do not send reshdr headers -x icap-header Include the icap-header in icap request headers -hx http-header Include the http-header in http headers -v Print response headers SEE ALSO
c-icap(8) c-icap-stretch(8) c-icap-config(8) c-icap-libicapapi-config(8) c-icap-mkbdb(8) BUGS
Many... AUTHOR
Tsantilas Christos c_icap 0.1.6 c-icap-client(8)