Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syntax of mailx
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting syntax of mailx Post 302130638 by lorcan on Tuesday 7th of August 2007 07:16:43 AM
Old 08-07-2007
Check whether your inputs are correct.

If not you can use the mailx command like

Code:
mailx -s "FOR TESTING" "abcd@yahoo.com" <<EOF
This is going to be body of the mail 

EOF

or

Code:
echo "This is going to be body of the mail" |mailx -s "FOR TESTING" "abcd@yahoo.com"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with mailx

How can I send a file of Unix usernames to everyone on the file without making an alias in my .mailrc file? Using a mailx command. Thanks, J.J. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JJJ
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with mailx

I want to send a message with an attachment from Unix using the following command: uuencode $DIRNAME/$FILENAME1 | mailx -s "test subject" xyz@xyz I need to attach the file and I also want a simple message body like "there is an error. Please check it". Do I need to have this message body... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssmith001
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx error message : mailx: NUL changed to @

If I use the "Mail" link instead of the "mail" link to ../mailx I get this error. Mail so-n-so @whatever.com mailx: NUL changed to @ Unknown command: "postmaster" The email still goes through but i get the error. If I use "mail" it goes thru without the error. Any ideas?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MAILX help

Hello all, how do I view the default mail configurations using the mailx problem? At the moment, I have an account, and all the mail to that account is being routed to an email address, how can I view this behaviour? Also, is there anyway I can view the default mail settings for a server without... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx

Hi, Thanks in Advance !! I have a korn script which is used to mail the reports to the users. I'm using the mailx utility. The uid used for running the script is "cronman", so the mails recieved by users are id FROM:"cronman". Now i want to change the FROM address to another user name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeep_desh
2 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

MailX

Hi, I am not able to send direct mails from our unix server to our lotus notes id. It was fine until we upgrade our Lotus notes server. What are the changes need to add when we upgrade Lotus notes. Please advice. It run in sh file This is the statement uuencode $RTDIR/$filename... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajani_p
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mailx

whn mail command fails. Please tell various reasons. Thanks for the reply (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratna
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mailx

We are using mailx to send email alerts. On occasions, it is updating our Distribution list with the mesage content. The following is the relevant portion of the script :- MAILGROUP=`more $MDS/feeds/alerts/distribution.lst` export MAILGROUP echo " " | mailx -s "MDS Alert - Refresh Complete"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Byrne
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx: How to send a attachment using mailx command

Hi All, Can anyone please provide the command for sending an mail with attachment using mailx command. Thanks in Advance :) Regards, Siram. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriram.Vedula53
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Syntax for mailx to send email to CC

I am trying to send email using "echo "Test Email" | mailx -s "Subject" someone@xyz.com I also want to send CC to another email address along with TO using above statement. Can anyone please help me on this. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap27
2 Replies
aliases(5)							File Formats Manual							aliases(5)

NAME
aliases - aliases file for sendmail SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The command (which is the same as see sendmail(1M)) builds the sendmail alias database from a text file. The default text file is Local addresses (local user names) are looked up in the alias database and expanded as necessary, unless the user name is preceded by a backslash When the aliases file contains multiple entries for a given alias, only the last entry is used. Except when the processing option (the send to me option) is set in the command or in the configuration file, the sender is not included in any alias expansions. For example, if sends a message to and the expansion of includes the message is not delivered to Each line of the alias text file must be of the form: Mailing lists can be continued onto multiple lines. Each continuation line must begin with white space. Lines beginning with # are com- ments. A mailing-list is a comma-separated list of one or more of the following: user-name Local user names occurring in alias expansions will themselves be looked up in the alias database unless they are preceded by backslash remote-address The remote address syntax understood by is configured in the configuration file, and typically includes the RFC-822-style and the UUCP-style filename This must be an absolute path name. appends a message to the file only if the directory in which it resides is readable and searchable by all, and only if the file already exists, is not executable, and is writable by all. pipes the message as standard input to the specified command. If command-line contains blanks, it must be enclosed in quotation marks (). For example, reads filename for a list of recipient addresses and forwards the message to each. For example, an alias such as: would read for the list of addresses making up the group. If a file named exists in a user's home directory and is owned by the user, redirects mail for that user to the list of addresses in the file. An address in a or file can be anything that can appear as a mailing-list in the alias text file. can run programs or write to files using file. This is controlled by the file. If the owner of the file lacks a valid shell as listed in file, the execution of such programs will be disallowed. The user can still execute such programs by placing the special string in the file. The alias database is examined before a recipient's file is examined. After aliasing has been done, local and valid recipients who have a file in their home directory will have messages forwarded to the list of users defined in that file. Aliasing occurs only on local names. Loops can not occur, since no message will be sent to any person more than once. Aliases defined in will NOT be expanded in headers from (see mailx(1)), but WILL be visible over networks and in headers from (see mail(1)). is only the raw data file. The actual aliasing information is placed into a binary format in the file using (see newaliases(1M)). A command should be executed each time the file is changed in order for the change to take effect. Note that the NIS alias maps are gener- ated by using which leaves and in the directory. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley, and originally appeared in 4.0BSD. FILES
User's mail forwarding file raw data file for alias names database of alias names SEE ALSO
mail(1), mailx(1), makemap(1M), newaliases(1M), sendmail(1M). aliases(5)