Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Not able to display the value I am accepting as an argument Post 302130502 by ermur on Monday 6th of August 2007 12:14:17 PM
Old 08-06-2007
Hi Mahek

You just have to remove the spaces in the assignment of the variable:

#! /usr/bin/ksh

currDate=$1
export currDate;
echo " Date is $currDate"

Regards,

Erwin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the last argument in a argument line?

How to find the last argument in a argument line? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehagupta2008
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get positive number n as argument script must calculate the factorial of its argument

Can someone please help me with this SHELL script? I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must calculate the factorial of its argument. In other words, it must calculate n!=1x2x3x...xn. Note that 0!=1. Here is a start but I have no clue how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accepting input date

I how do i accept a input date in script which is lesser than a specified day? ex: to accept a date less than or equal to 100 days(from today).?:( Thanks for the help in advance.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reg accepting password

Hi, I want to login to many systems and password should be taken automatically from a file(login is working but password is not accepting). Any help on this is appreciable . My code. for i in `cat /tmp/tes ` ====>tes file contain list of hosts > do ssh $i > perl prog.pl >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rogerben
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting A-Za-Z

Is there a way accept A-Za-z0-9 from the user from a parameter? EX. I want to take the parameter from the user even if its hEu or H3y and store it as a parameter ( $1 ) (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Accepting Directories as an Argument

I'm doing a script where you are suppose to start off in accepting one or more directory as an argument. How do i do this? Sorry for the nub question. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxUser232331
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot compare argument in if statement in csh/grep command if argument starts with “-“

If ($argv == “-debug”) then Echo “in loop” Endif But this is not working. If I modify this code and remove “-“, then it works. Similarly I am getting problem using grep command also Grep “-debug” Filename Can someone please help me on how to resolve these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting Input regardless of Case

Hi I am trying to get my script to accept input regardless if the person enters a or A. here is the portion of the code where I get the input. echo -n 'Please enter your choice:' # prompt user for input. read reply # read input echo case $reply in #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DualPandas
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accepting search pattern to script argument

I have a script in tcsh and I want to have a find option to which I can pass a file search pattern I want using the command: /home/chrisd/tatsh/trunk/hstmy/bin/tcsh/raytrac.tcsh -f=*rc* The set command seems to fail when user does not supply a search pattern (if user just supplies -f, a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)