Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Kernel Switching?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix Kernel Switching? Post 302130252 by ilan on Saturday 4th of August 2007 05:21:52 AM
Old 08-04-2007
BTW:You should restart the system after editing /etc/grub.conf

-ilan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Kernel Designing

Hello, I want to know what a kernel is? what are its functions and uses. what is a unix kernel? can i make a new kernel like unix or any other OS. if yes what type of programming is needed or can i use C programming language.if there is C, then what kind of C is required (hardware like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching shells in UNIX Scripts

Solaris Newbie here to scripting in UNIX/SOLARIS. What I am looking to do is, once the script is executed, switch to /bin/bash shell and continue to execute the script. The problem I run into is once the script switches to the Bash shell, the script stops, and does not execute the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scoobiez
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why does UNIX kernel does not shrink?

Hello this is a book problem of chapter 8 william stallings's operating systems..can anyone tells me the accurate solution of it?? The Unix kernel will dynamicaly grow a process's stack in virtual memory as needed, but it willnever try to shrink it. Consider the case in which a program calls a C... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dillidamunda
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Distribution and Kernel

By way of a small report what is involved in the updating of the unix distribution and kernel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dipset
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX kernel type?

Hai guys,This is my first question. What type of UNIX kernel is? (W.K.T linux kernel is monolithic) Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Felicia23
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

developing a Kernel for old old Unix?

Hello all , My father has been running the last version of unix before all the liscensing began 20 or so years ago. In his particular field his programmer has written a great deal of software to work with this version. Emulating so newer computers could speak to the unix server as well. Im sure... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill78
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching between users on UNIX without private key (intentional)

Hello Everyone, I'm new to unix and having trouble with switching users s_user='sample_user', I need to connect to a remote server using the user "sampleuser" copy files on that remote server. However I am not allowed to add a private key to that same server nor add scripts on sampleuser's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AmazingTyagoman
5 Replies

8. Linux

Switching between Windows and UNIX

I have both UNIX and Windows on my system. While booting it asks for me to select an OS. Once I log in to an OS, then to log in to another OS, there is no direct method. I need to shutdown and again start to select another OS. May I know any method to directly switch between the two. (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
23 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching server in UNIX via shell script (SSH )

Requirement: I am writing a shell script which take some file from say Server1 and I have to execute some command on Server2 then I have to manipulate the data and based on that I have to produce report. Problem:I can schedule the shell script on only one server (Server1 or Server2) So, In the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raks2301
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching from production to development envirornment in UNIX

I had a unix scripts in prod. I need to made changes in those scripts which I don't have the edit access. I need to move those scripts from prod to dev to edit. Please tell me how to switch from production to development, So that I can made changes in dev and again move those scripts to Prod. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeswararao
3 Replies
update-grub(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    update-grub(8)

NAME
update-grub - program to generate GRUB's menu.lst file SYNOPSIS
update-grub DESCRIPTION
update-grub is a program used to generate the menu.lst file used by the grub bootloader. It works by looking in /boot for all files which start with "vmlinuz-". They will be treated as kernels, and grub menu entries will be created for each. It will also create the initial menu.lst if none exists, after prompting the user. It will also add initrd lines for ramdisk images found with the same version as kernels found. e.g. /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.5 and /boot/initrd-2.4.5 will cause a line of "initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.5 or similar to be added for the ker- nel entry in the menu.lst. After update-grub has been run for the first time, the user is required to edit the generated menu.lst. The user must set the two options update-grub uses. Then re-run the update-grub script to update the menu.lst file using the default's that have been set. These are the options passed to the linux kernel: # kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro Everything after "kopt=" is passed to the kernel as parameters. See bootparam(7) for more information. This is the grub device from which grub loads the kernel: # groot=(hd0,1) (hd0,1) is a partition in grub notation. See grub(8) for more information. This option controls if grub should create the alternative boot options in the menu entries # alternative=true # alternative=false This option controls if grub should lock the alternative boot options see grub(8) for more information. # lockalternative=true # lockalternative=false This option controls if grub should lock the old kernels. # lockold=true # lockold=false This options controls what is used for the alternative boot options, multiple altoptions lines are allowed. # altoptions=(some description) some kernel command line options # altoptions=(recovery option) single The description is placed in '()' and the kernel command line options follow that. # updatedefault=true # updatedefault=false This option controls if grub should update the default entry to keep booting the same kernel even if a new one is installed. The update-grub script can be ran automagically from the /etc/kernel-img.conf file by adding the following lines: postinst_hook = update-grub postrm_hook = update-grub do_bootloader = no For further information related to /etc/kernel-img.conf, see the manpage kernel-img.conf(5). SEE ALSO
grub(8), grub-install(8), kernel-img.conf(5) (contained in the kernel-package package), bootparam(7). The full documentation for grub is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub programs are prop- erly installed at your site, the command info grub should give you access to the complete manual. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Jason Thomas <jason@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Jason Thomas June 18, 2001 update-grub(8)