Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split File into seperate files Post 302130207 by Shell_Life on Friday 3rd of August 2007 02:27:43 PM
Old 08-03-2007
To keep the delimiter in each file, just remove the 'sed':
Code:
sed '/^-----/ d' ${file} > ${file}.new && mv ${file}.new ${file}

And the code will be:
Code:
csplit -k -s -f part. split_file /^-----/ "{100}" 2>/dev/null
ls part.?? | while read file; do
   echo "File ${file} contains:"
   cat ${file}
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file into 2 or more files

Dear friends: I have a datafile contains 1 to 40 lines or i can be varied between 1 to 40. I want to split the datafile into smaller files: if the datafile has 40 lines or more, file1 contains line 1 to 12 file2 contains line 13 to 25 file3 contains line 26 to 28 file4 contains line 29... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Email like files in seperate emails

My goal is to send multiple files to a person based on their input. The files have similar names like: file1-egress-filter file2-ingress-filter stuff1-egress-filter stuff2-ingress-filter ... The script is run with the filename given as arguments, such as: ./mail.sh file stuff would... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: earnstaf
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split A File Into 2 Files

i WANT TO SPLIT A FILE WHICH HAS 250 COLUMNS. and the delimiter is '|'. So , can somebody help me with the command i have to use to split the file into two files. thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dummy_needhelp
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comparing strings in seperate files

Hello, I am comparing files with for mismatches using fgrep but I've run into a problem. fgrep -vf $file1 $file2 > mismatches.dat file1 and file2 both contain file names on each line file1 has filenames which are up to 92 characters long and contain the "$" char. example file name:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split a sentence and seperate into two lines

Hi, I have a string as str="route net,-hopcount,1,255.255.255.0,10.230.20.111,10.230.20.234 Route True route net,-hopcount,0,-netmask,255.255.248.0,0,10.230.23.254 Route True" I need to split this string into two lines as route net,-hopcount,1,255.255.255.0,10.230.20.111,10.230.20.234... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaitanyapn
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split a file into many files

Hello, Here is another one. The file type is almost same, many lines and many fields. What I need to do is to extract each line of old file and make it a new file, and in the new file, the field1 will be file name and the rest of field will be transpose to line. Say, 1, field1 field2 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssshen
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

looping through file and creating seperate files

Hi, My first post!! I have a files with header, something like this Header_Row AMC|D1|D2|D2 AAO|D3|D4|D5 AMC|D6|D7|D8 AAO|D9|D10|D11 . . . . . and millions fo records thereafter like this. I want to read the above file in a loop and write the lines having AMC into another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitbakre
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seperate Odd and Even numbers from 1 file to 2 files

Hey guys. I have been trying to figure out an easy way to seperate a liste of 150k numbers (10 digits) in a .txt file into odd and even numbers with each of their own files, for a project at work. I've tried Excel, but it was too much for it and it wasnt very simple. So i gave up after... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: TranceC
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into 10 different files

OS : RHEL 6.7 Shell : bash I have a text file with 5.97 million lines. I want to split this big file into 12 different files (in sequential order) so that each file will contain roughly 500K lines. I tried the following awk command after googling. But, it just created 2 files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

For loop for seperate files

For shell script. If I had two separate files, file.txt and file1.txt and each has just a list of names from the who command. How would I create an if loop to compare each name? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
flow-split(1)						      General Commands Manual						     flow-split(1)

NAME
flow-split -- Split flow files into smaller files. SYNOPSIS
flow-split [-gGhn] [-b big|little] [-C comment] [-d debug_level] [-N nflows] [-o outfile_basename] [-T nseconds] [-z z_level] DESCRIPTION
The flow-split utility will split a flow file into smaller files based on the the number of flows or the ammount of time that has passed. OPTIONS
-b big|little Byte order of output. -C Comment Add a comment. -d debug_level Enable debugging. -g Split on source tag. -G Split on destination tag. -h Display help. -n Use symbols for tag field in filename. -N nflows Split after processing nflows. -o outfile_basename The basename of the resulting files. -T nsecond Split after processing an interval of nseconds flows. -z z_level Configure compression level to z_level. 0 is disabled (no compression), 9 is highest compression. EXAMPLES
Create 1 minute flow files from the flow archive in /flows/krc4. Store the results in /flows/krc4.split flow-cat /flows/krc4 | flow-split -T60 -o /flows/krc4.split/1min. BUGS
None known. AUTHOR
Mark Fullmer maf@splintered.net SEE ALSO
flow-tools(1) flow-split(1)