Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell script & cron
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script & cron Post 302129952 by deppy82 on Thursday 2nd of August 2007 12:48:07 PM
Old 08-02-2007
The matter is that the script fully works even when launched in cron.
The focus problem is that the ping command returns always a non-zero value and the then block is always executed.
This bug only occurs when i run the script from cron.
P.S. my O.S. id FreeBSD 6.2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

executing shell script from the cron

This isn't the usual problem that a shell script runs from the command line and not the cron. It's a little different. Among other things, the shell scrip executes my .profile to set a bunch of variables. It then does an env to ensure that it ran OK. There are echos in the shell script and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abNORMal
2 Replies

2. AIX

Is it possible to have more than one Cron in shell script?

Hi, can we have more than one cron in the shell script? If so pls let me know on what basis it is running. Whether on OS scheduling or the time scheduled in the cron file.Pls answer this query. Many Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yamini Thoppen
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron execution of shell script

Hi Guys, Unable to run this script from the cron,although the same executes perfectly from the command line.Please help. #!/bin/sh #### aprintd alarm creation files ##### file=`date +%m%d%Y` pid=$$ echo "$pid" /u01/app/netboss/bin/aprintd/aprintd > $file & childpid=$!... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashish.sharma
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Network Shell Script & Blade Logic & Network Security

I am going to take up a position in Data & Network Security. I would need to write network shell scripts doing the following task: Going to around 2000 servers and findout which groups has access to each servers and which ids are there in each group that has access. I need to implement... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job shell script..

Hey Guys, i was trying out a shell script which has to remove a file for every 90 mins. this is the code i came up with . $ crontab -e file1 file1 contains 30 1 * * * * rm -r /folder1/folder2/somefile.txt Now i need the cron to run for every 90 mins. the problem with this is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script and Cron

Hi there, I have a script that pulls in a weather feed via FTP then writes the output to a file. This script is run everyday at 3pm by cron. Heres the shell script: #!/bin/sh HOST='ftp.weatheronline.co.uk' USER='my username' PASSWD='my password'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpk_3
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell Script and Cron

How can I tell a script to only execute if the other scripts exits successfully? So "script A" executes and if it executes successfully (0),then "script B" will run or else "script A "executes and it exits unsucessfully (1) then "script B" will read return code (1) and will not execute ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cron shell script question

Hi all, hopefully someone out there can give me some tips on how to resolve this I have a simple shell script who -u > /tmp/userlog one of the line stored in userlog when executing shell script manually: jim123 pts/24 2012-03-30 13:02 00:56 4131 (xya.dsfgds.com) one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux_Novice
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running shell script via cron

Hi Guys, I do have a shell script that I scheduled to run via the cron but when the script don't run. But when I run the script manually it does run perfectly... What might be the problem? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phuti
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP Shell Script Get & Delete && Upload & Delete

Hi All, Do you have any sample script, - auto get file from SFTP remote server and delete file in remove server after downloaded. - only download specify filename - auto upload file from local to SFTP remote server and delete local folder file after uploaded - only upload specify filename ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weesiong
3 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
auth/cron [-c] DESCRIPTION
Cron executes commands at specified dates and times according to instructions in the files /cron/user/cron. It runs only on an authentica- tion server. Option -c causes cron to create /cron/user and /cron/user/cron for the current user; it can be run from any Plan 9 machine. Blank lines and lines beginning with # in these files are ignored. Entries are lines with fields minute hour day month weekday host command Command is a string, which may contain spaces, that is passed to an rc(1) running on host for execution. The first five fields are integer patterns for minute 0-59 hour 0-23 day of month 1-31 month of year 1-12 day of week 0-6; 0=Sunday The syntax for these patterns is time : '*' | range range : number | number '-' number | range ',' range Each number must be in the appropriate range. Hyphens specify inclusive ranges of valid times; commas specify lists of valid time ranges. To run the job, cron calls host and authenticates remote execution, equivalent to running rx host command (see con(1)). The user's profile is run with $service set to rx. Cron is not a reliable service. It skips commands if it cannot reach host within two minutes, or if the cron daemon is not running at the appropriate time. EXAMPLES
Here is the job that mails system news. % cat /cron/upas/cron # send system news 15 8-17, 21 *** helix /mail/lib/mailnews % SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/auth/cron.c SEE ALSO
con(1), rc(1) CRON(8)