Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to get real user name
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to get real user name Post 302129781 by hemangjani on Wednesday 1st of August 2007 03:29:15 PM
Old 08-01-2007
who | awk -F' ' '{ print $1 }' | sort | uniq > list2; while read record; do cat /etc/passwd | grep $record | cut -d: -f5; done < list2; rm list2

Smilie

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

In real time - what user connects or disconnect

Write a tool that will be displayed in real time, what user connects or disconnects from a system that uses this tool :)) Maybe anyone can help me? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: titasas
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Help with who am i . Not displaying real user

Hi I'm trying to get the real username of any user running as root on my server. On one of my server running Sol 10, if I su to root and run who am i, it displays my username. which is what I want. But when I run it on another server, this time on Sol 8, it displays root as the user. Is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisdom
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wget script to simulate real user visits

so i'm using the following script to attempt to simulate a user visiting a page but unfortunately, it doesn't look like this is working: wget -nv -r "http://www.mywebsite.com" does anyone have a better idea of how to do this? the goal here is to run a wget command from a linux host to a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log all the commands input by user at real time in /var/log/messages

Below is my script to log all the command input by any user to /var/log/messages. But I cant achieve the desired output that i want. PLease see below. function log2syslog { declare COMMAND COMMAND=$(fc -ln -0) logger -p local1.notice -t bash -i -- "$USER:$COMMAND" } trap... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regarding real example of user of semicolon(;) and + in find/exec command.

Hello All, Was recently working on an requirement where we have to search files more than a specific number, following is the example on same. Let's say file names are test_40000.txt,test_40001.txt and so on till test_99999.txt. Now requirement was to search from find command only those... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
1 Replies

6. Programming

Real, effective and saved user id in C program

I figured it out by now. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph
0 Replies
ns_lctl(3aolserver)					    AOLserver Built-In Commands 				       ns_lctl(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_for, ns_foreach, ns_while, ns_lctl - Replacements for standard Tcl loop commands which enable monitoring and control SYNOPSIS
ns_for start test next body ns_foreach varname list body ns_foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body ns_while test body ns_lctl cancel id ns_lctl eval id script ns_lctl info id ns_lctl install command ns_lctl list ns_lctl pause id ns_lctl result id _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The ns_for, ns_foreach, and ns_while commands are replacements for cooresponding Tcl commands with the additional capability of monitoring and control through the ns_lctl command. ns_for start test next body See the for(n) man page for usage. ns_foreach start test next body See the foreach(n) man page for usage. ns_foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body See the foreach(n) man page for usage. ns_while test body See the while(n) man page for usage. ns_lctl cancel id Mark the given loop to cancel at the next iteration, resulting in the loop returning with TCL_ERROR. ns_lctl eval id script ns_lctl info id ns_lctl install command ns_lctl list ns_lctl pause id ns_lctl result id SEE ALSO
for(n), foreach(n), while(n) KEYWORDS
threads, iteration, list, looping, cancel AOLserver 4.5 ns_lctl(3aolserver)