Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: can't shut down ultra-10
Operating Systems Solaris can't shut down ultra-10 Post 302129756 by jgt on Wednesday 1st of August 2007 01:01:58 PM
Old 08-01-2007
Don't turn it off until you know why 'shutdown' is no longer executable.
Maybe the path has changed, or you may be confused as to what your pwd actually is.
If you have inadvertently corrupted something on the root file system of the primary drive, you may not be able to reboot the system if you do turn it off.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Start Up and Shut down

I've never been on a Unix machine so please be easy on me!!! I need to create a step by step process for the Unix start up and shut down process. Thanks for any help in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaughney
3 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Shut down runner

How do i get win98 to run a script just before shutdown? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
2 Replies

3. Solaris

I need to clone an ultra 1 onto and ultra 60

I need to move everything from an older ultra 1 onto a newer ultra 60 (OS and all) running SUNOS 5.5.1. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Frank P.S. If you know of a document somewhere please let me know. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to shut off beep

I need to know how to turn off the beep in my unix environment. I tried with the Common Desktop Environment on solaris but it didn't work. I used to know the environment variable to set but I have forgotten it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpedicone
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to shut down and start a Windows process

Hi , Good day people. I want to know if i can shut down a particular service that runs in windows from solaris through a script . Scenario : we have a distributed environment where we want to shut down a service that runs under windows through a shell script in solaris , is this kinda action... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivsiv
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Machine Shut

Hi , I am using Sunsolaris 10 and System model T1000, I am getting This error and system is not booting . ERROR : SC Alert: SC initiating soft host system shutdown due to fault at MB/V_+3V3STBY. Please provide solution for this. Thanks Raja (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajasm
4 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

The ps command - process showing up even after application is shut down

Hi all, I'm very new to unix, I'm developing an application in Java, part of which requires me to check if a certain application is still running. In windows, I just use tasklist - if the application has been shut down it won't appear in the task list. I've been trying to use the ps command to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekatmcg
0 Replies

8. Linux

Find last system shut down time

Hi, I need to find the last system shutdown time. I got a command last that is used for this.But the command is not give the year. Below i posted the sample output last -x |grep shutdown shutdown system down 2.6.31.5-server- Tue Jan 11 11:45 - 11:46 (00:00) shutdown system down ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maruthu
6 Replies

9. Solaris

When was the zone shut down?

Is there an easy way (or any way) to determine from a ksh script when a specific zone was shut down? I'm assuming the zone had been running and is now properly shut down in the 'installed' state. Is there a log entry or some other reliable way to find out when the zone had been shut down? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmcgrego
1 Replies
HALT(8) 						Linux System Administrator's Manual						   HALT(8)

NAME
halt, reboot, poweroff - stop the system. SYNOPSIS
/sbin/halt [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-p] [-h] /sbin/reboot [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] /sbin/poweroff [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-h] DESCRIPTION
Halt notes that the system is being brought down in the file /var/log/wtmp, and then either tells the kernel to halt, reboot or poweroff the system. If halt or reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6, in other words when it's running normally, shutdown will be invoked instead (with the -h or -r flag). For more info see the shutdown(8) manpage. The rest of this manpage describes the behaviour in runlevels 0 and 6, that is when the systems shutdown scripts are being run. OPTIONS
-n Don't sync before reboot or halt. -w Don't actually reboot or halt but only write the wtmp record (in the /var/log/wtmp file). -d Don't write the wtmp record. The -n flag implies -d. -f Force halt or reboot, don't call shutdown(8). -i Shut down all network interfaces just before halt or reboot. -h Put all harddrives on the system in standby mode just before halt or poweroff. -p When halting the system, do a poweroff. This is the default when halt is called as poweroff. DIAGNOSTICS
If you're not the superuser, you will get the message `must be superuser'. NOTES
Under older sysvinit releases , reboot and halt should never be called directly. From release 2.74 on halt and reboot invoke shutdown(8) if the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt or reboot cannot find out the current runlevel (for example, when /var/run/utmp hasn't been initialized correctly) shutdown will be called, which might not be what you want. Use the -f flag if you want to do a hard halt or reboot. The -h flag puts all harddisks in standby mode just before halt or poweroff. Right now this is only implemented for IDE drives. A side effect of putting the drive in standby mode is that the write cache on the disk is flushed. This is important for IDE drives, since the kernel doesn't flush the write-cache itself before poweroff. The halt program uses /proc/ide/hd* to find all IDE disk devices, which means that /proc needs to be mounted when halt or poweroff is called or the -h switch will do nothing. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8) Nov 6, 2001 HALT(8)