Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Please help with computer name Solaris 5.8 Post 302129742 by komputersman on Wednesday 1st of August 2007 11:38:27 AM
Old 08-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by reborg
dhcp, as my previous post suggested, the correct thing to do is remove /etc/dhcp.hme0

You may also have to have to define the default gateway etc.
I did this, but then I could not remote in via ssh. I had to walk over to it and restore the /etc/dhcp.hme0 locally, I could then remote in again. What does the /etc/dhcp.hme0 have to do with the machine name?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

how do you get 2 windows off your computer

i have windows 2000 professional and windows 98 on my computer but i onle want 1:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary_king
3 Replies

2. Programming

getting computer name

Hi all! Is there any function to get the name from a computer by the IP adresse? Thank you in advance! Greetings Mario (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coredump2003
2 Replies

3. Solaris

problem with installing Solaris 10 on x86 stand-alone computer

hi. I'm using Intel-based processor for my stand-alone computer running Windows XP Professional with a broadband connection. By navigating through Solaris 10 documentations via the following paths: 'Solaris 10 Release and Installation Collection' > 'Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninelives1980
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Are my computer valid for Solaris

hello It's my first post in your forum I have a Pentium 4 processor and Motherboard Gigabyte with Intel chipset and 80 GB hard disk .My question is : Are my computer valid for Solaris os ??? Are the Solaris is free like Fedora and Suse ?? (sorry for my bad English because I'm not English man) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: engshaheen
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

who - PC Computer name

Does anyone know of a way of identifying the PC / client name rather than IP address via who or some other AIX command (5.3). (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
4 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

What was your first computer?

Hey, the What Do You Do for a Living thread got me thinking about this. My first "computer" was a Timex Sinclair that I built from a kit. I also spent many hours painstakingly programming a Commodore Vic20 to display graphics and sound (and save them on that slooooow tape drive). My first "real"... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: dday
26 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't shutdown the computer

i cannot shutdown my computer through GUI or CLI when i put the command shutdown -P/-r nowor press the shutdown button it goes to the login prompt and stays like that afterwards, so i press CTRL+ALT+delete (which works) but that only restarts it and closes processes like winbind and apache ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mi117
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help my computer has been compromised

Hi everyone, I hope I am posting in the right spot and I really need some help. I am going through a horrible divorce and I am afraid that my husband has compromised . He set up my mac computer and router and for my job set up remote access for me. I caught him cheating on me and I think he... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kk243665
6 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

How to become more confortable on my computer?

Hi all, Lately I have being practicing several ways to improve on the amount of time i spend reading and coding on my computer. I realized that it can be very tiring and hard work. The had work needed and time is not the main issue here. The issue is do i start of by spending at least one -- two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: despiragado
3 Replies
dhcp(5) 						Standards, Environments, and Macros						   dhcp(5)

NAME
dhcp - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol DESCRIPTION
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) enables host systems in a TCP/IP network to be configured automatically for the network as they boot. DHCP uses a client/server mechanism: servers store configuration information for clients, and provide that information upon a client's request. The information can include the client's IP address and information about network services available to the client. This manual page provides a brief summary of the Solaris DHCP implementation. Solaris DHCP Client The Solaris DHCP client is implemented as background daemon, dhcpagent(1M). This daemon is started automatically during bootup if there exists at least one dhcp.interface file in /etc. Only interfaces with a corresponding /etc/dhcp.interface file are automatically configured during boot. Network parameters needed for system configuration during bootup are extracted from the information recieved by the daemon through the use of the dhcpinfo(1) command. The daemon's default behavior can be altered by changing the tunables in the /etc/default/dhc- pagent file. The daemon is controlled by the ifconfig(1M) utility. Check the status of the daemon using the netstat(1M) and ifconfig(1M) commands. Solaris DHCP Server The Solaris DHCP server is implemented as a background daemon, in.dhcpd(1M). This daemon can deliver network configuration information to either BOOTP or DHCP clients. The Solaris DHCP service can be managed using the dhcpmgr(1M) GUI or the command line utilities dhcpcon- fig(1M), dhtadm(1M), and pntadm(1M). DHCP Configuration Tables The Solaris DHCP server stores client configuration information in the following two types of tables: dhcptab tables Contain macros and options (also known as symbols), used to construct a package of configuration information to send to each DHCP client. There exists only one dhcptab for the DHCP service. The dhcptab(4) can be viewed and mod- ified using the dhtadm(1M) command or dhcpmgr(1M) graphical utility. See dhcptab(4) for more information about the syntax of dhcptab records. See dhcp_inittab(4) for more information about the DHCP options and symbols. DHCP network tables DHCP network tables, which contain mappings of client IDs to IP addresses and parameters associated with those addresses. Network tables are named with the IP address of the network, and can be created, viewed, and modified using the pntadm command or dhcpmgr graphical utility. See dhcp_network(4) for more information about network tables. SEE ALSO
dhcpinfo(1), dhcpagent(1M), dhcpconfig(1M), dhcpmgr(1M), dhtadm(1M), ifconfig(1M), in.dhcpd(1M), netstat(1M), pntadm(1M), syslog(3C), dhcp_network(4), dhcptab(4), dhcpsvc.conf(4), dhcp_inittab(4), dhcp_modules(5) Solaris DHCP Service Developer's Guide Alexander, S., and R. Droms. RFC 2132, DHCP Options and BOOTP Vendor Extensions. Silicon Graphics, Inc. Bucknell University. March 1997. Droms, R. RFC 1534, Interoperation Between DHCP and BOOTP. Bucknell University. October 1993. Droms, R. RFC 2131, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Bucknell University. March 1997. Wimer, W. RFC 1542, Clarifications and Extensions for the Bootstrap Protocol. Carnegie Mellon University. October 1993. SunOS 5.10 13 Mar 2001 dhcp(5)