Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE inconsistent ls command display at the command prompt & running as a cron job Post 302129242 by quintet on Monday 30th of July 2007 06:49:12 AM
Old 07-30-2007
Which OS you are using. I tried the same command in AIX

ls -lt | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}'

and I got 'Jul' as response

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to display hostname in command prompt

Anyone know How to configure solaris 8 to display hostname in command prompt , everytime when you open a terminal screen . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job giving error while running SSH command

Hi All, The script which i am using to SSH to remote server is working fine when i run is using ./ but when cron runs it it gives error that "ssh: not found" please help!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: visingha
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sudo command not working with cron job.

Hello, I have written a script that has a sudo command to change file permissions within it. When I run the script manually, the sudo command inside of it works fine. When the script is run through crontab I get the error "cron: not found". It the same user profile that I am using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT: cron job not running the sqlplus command in shell script

cron job not running the sqlplus command in shell script but the shell script works fine from command line.. Cronjob: 5 * * * * /home/dreg/script.sh script.sh: #!/bin/ksh /oracle/u000/app/oracle/product/10204/GEN/bin/sqlplus -s <user>/<pass>@<sid/home/dreg/sqlscript.sh ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikea
18 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron job to run a command from another dir?

I would like to setup a cron job to run a command from another directory. What is the best way to do this? The cron file is in a directory and the script I want it to run is in another directory. I tried doing this in the cron file: /location/of/command/run.sh But that did not work.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

command job not running

Hi, I have an autosys box job and 2 command jobs. When i force start the box job the command jobs are moving to 'Active' state but are not running. I have tried various options for the start times and run windows but doesnt seem to work. Any help is appreciated update_job: job1.jil... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: userscript
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with sar command in cron job

HI, I have a problem with 'sar' command. I am using the sar comman in script.when i execute the script manually using ./filenae, i am getting the desired output. But when i put the script in cron job i am not getting the desired value. Below is the script.. sar > $_LOCATION/sar.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron job: command not found

Hi, I have a simple script. When I run it as cron job. I jot email saying: /bin/sh: line 1: test.tmp: command not found. the test.tmp looks like: #!/bin/sh date > done Even I took first line out, I got the same error. The current shell I have is /bin/tcsh Could anyone help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natxie
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron Job - date command problem

Hi I have one problem with cron job in Control Panel. I have a log file that is created once a day on another server and I need to transfer it in an exact time to my server so I wrote the cron job for it BUT the problem is in the date command: /filelog-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar.gz; The file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobo_balde
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job cannot run the command

Hi, I created this cron job for asterisk to send sms daily to a number #!/bin/sh #custom mod - send sms once a day, at 07:00. CRON_PATH="/etc/asterisk/gw/crontabs_root"; if ! grep 'gsm send sms' $CRON_PATH > /dev/null 2>&1 ;then echo "* 7 * * * asterisk -rx 'gsm send sms 1 7666... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazzyzha
4 Replies
tail(1) 																   tail(1)

NAME
tail - deliver the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/tail [ +-s number [lbcr]] [file] /usr/bin/tail [-lbcr] [file] /usr/bin/tail [ +- number [lbcf]] [file] /usr/bin/tail [-lbcf] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [-f | -r] [-c number | -n number] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [ +- number [l | b | c] [f]] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [ +- number [l] [f | r] ] [file] The tail utility copies the named file to the standard output beginning at a designated place. If no file is named, the standard input is used. Copying begins at a point in the file indicated by the -cnumber, -nnumber, or +-number options (if +number is specified, begins at distance number from the beginning; if -number is specified, from the end of the input; if number is NULL, the value 10 is assumed). number is counted in units of lines or byte according to the -c or -n options, or lines, blocks, or bytes, according to the appended option l, b, or c. When no units are specified, counting is by lines. The following options are supported for both /usr/bin/tail and /usr/xpg4/bin/tail. The -r and -f options are mutually exclusive. If both are specified on the command line, the -f option is ignored. -b Units of blocks. -c Units of bytes. -f Follow. If the input-file is not a pipe, the program does not terminate after the line of the input-file has been copied, but enters an endless loop, wherein it sleeps for a second and then attempts to read and copy further records from the input-file. Thus it can be used to monitor the growth of a file that is being written by some other process. -l Units of lines. -r Reverse. Copies lines from the specified starting point in the file in reverse order. The default for r is to print the entire file in reverse order. /usr/xpg4/bin/tail The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/tail only: -c number The number option-argument must be a decimal integer whose sign affects the location in the file, measured in bytes, to begin the copying: + Copying starts relative to the beginning of the file. - Copying starts relative to the end of the file. none Copying starts relative to the end of the file. The origin for counting is 1; that is, -c+1 represents the first byte of the file, -c-1 the last. -n number Equivalent to -cnumber, except the starting location in the file is measured in lines instead of bytes. The origin for counting is 1. That is, -n+1 represents the first line of the file, -n-1 the last. The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, the standard input is used. See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of tail when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). Example 1: Using the tail Command The following command prints the last ten lines of the file fred, followed by any lines that are appended to fred between the time tail is initiated and killed. example% tail -f fred The next command prints the last 15 bytes of the file fred, followed by any lines that are appended to fred between the time tail is initi- ated and killed: example% tail -15cf fred See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tail: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/tail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/tail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ cat(1), head(1), more(1), pg(1), dd(1M), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) Piped tails relative to the end of the file are stored in a buffer, and thus are limited in length. Various kinds of anomalous behavior can happen with character special files. 13 Jul 2005 tail(1)