Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX support calls
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users UNIX support calls Post 302129170 by moodswingz on Sunday 29th of July 2007 09:56:20 AM
Old 07-29-2007
UNIX support calls

Does anyone know some support issues on unix? I've worked on unix for years at the lower end and the only support I've done is reset print queues, send jobs to printer, kill phantom processes. I'm looking for a new job and I'm curious as to what other problems occur so I can research them.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What file types does unix support?

Hello, I've search this site many times and ave not been able to find my answer. So I'm going to post my question....(duh) Ok. I'm wanting to know what file types does unix support. if you can try and list them like this: php, .php or somthing like that. plus don't forget that I said I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgames
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux Support?

If the strength of Unix based operating systems such as Linux and Red Hat are based on the fact that they are open-source. Who will provide support for personal computers or average users that uses these operating systems. Wouldn't the absence of some structured and formal support system inhibit... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does UNIX support international caracters?

Hi, we have client in Poland, and they using PB7 as front-end and UNIX at the end. The problem is when they typing in comments field in Polich characters, it goes to host and it got saved in some question marks or some weird format. Does any one know if UNIX can save comments in any languages?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrey
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Processors that support Unix

Hello all! My boss wants we to learn a little bit of Unix in the next couple of months so I can broaden my opportunities. What processors will Unix run on? Intel... AMD32.... AMD64... Help Please. I need to build a computer that can support Unix to begin learning. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkypro7
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

Identification of data calls & voice calls

Is there any facility to filter/identify the data calls and voice calls coming throug modem? OR Can we get the data or voice calls information through a script(preferably C Kermit)? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Enable hpet support in unix

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have a machine, the BIOS doesn't offer a choice to enable/disable HPET, I know in Linux, the hpet.c file can be modified to turn on and off the hpet, I am looking for a way to do this in UNIX as well. Is there already code existed for the modification? If not can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: KAKAMOMO
0 Replies

7. Programming

Copy a file using UNIX-system calls

#include<unistd.h> #include<sys/types.h> #include<sys/stat.h> #include<fcntl.h> #include<stdlib.h> int main( int argc,char *argv ) { char buf; int sourcefile,destfile,n; if(argc!=3) { write(STDOUT_FILENO,"prgm1 <sourcefile> <destination file>\n",50); ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_d
6 Replies

8. Programming

getting the pid of another C program with unix calls

I have a C program called server.c which is supposed to get the pid of another program, client.c, and send a signal to it, but I'm not sure how to do it. Server.c is first run in the background then client is run in the foreground. I tried pid_t pid; pid = system("pidof -s client.c");... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: busdude
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix directory system calls question

I'm currently studying for my exam, and is practicing with sample exam questions. However there is a question asking "Name THREE UNIX Directory system calls" and the answer given is "opendir, closedir and readdir", however the next question ask "Why is a write directory system call not included... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Izzy123
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls in UNIX

Hi i am very new to programming in UNIX and don't understand the difference between a system call and a normal function call. Also can I implement system calls from within a program? If so could someone please give me an example of a system call from within a program. Lastly, when creating a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjhum33
1 Replies
LPC(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    LPC(8)

NAME
lpc -- line printer control program SYNOPSIS
lpc [command [argument ...]] DESCRIPTION
lpc is used by the system administrator to control the operation of the line printer system. For each line printer configured in /etc/printcap, lpc may be used to: o disable or enable a printer, o disable or enable a printer's spooling queue, o rearrange the order of jobs in a spooling queue, o find the status of printers, and their associated spooling queues and printer daemons. Without any arguments, lpc will prompt for commands from the standard input. If arguments are supplied, lpc interprets the first argument as a command and the remaining arguments as parameters to the command. The standard input may be redirected causing lpc to read commands from file. Commands may be abbreviated; the following is the list of recognized commands. ? [command ...] help [command ...] Print a short description of each command specified in the argument list, or, if no argument is given, a list of the recognized com- mands. abort { all | printer } Terminate an active spooling daemon on the local host immediately and then disable printing (preventing new daemons from being started by lpr(1)) for the specified printers. clean { all | printer } Remove any temporary files, data files, and control files that cannot be printed (i.e., do not form a complete printer job) from the specified printer queue(s) on the local machine. disable { all | printer } Turn the specified printer queues off. This prevents new printer jobs from being entered into the queue by lpr(1). down { all | printer } message ... Turn the specified printer queue off, disable printing and put message in the printer status file. The message doesn't need to be quoted, the remaining arguments are treated like echo(1). This is normally used to take a printer down and let others know why lpq(1) will indicate the printer is down and print the status message. enable { all | printer } Enable spooling on the local queue for the listed printers. This will allow lpr(1) to put new jobs in the spool queue. exit quit Exit from lpc. restart { all | printer } Attempt to start a new printer daemon. This is useful when some abnormal condition causes the daemon to die unexpectedly, leaving jobs in the queue. lpq(1) will report that there is no daemon present when this condition occurs. If the user is the super-user, try to abort the current daemon first (i.e., kill and restart a stuck daemon). start { all | printer } Enable printing and start a spooling daemon for the listed printers. status { all | printer } Display the status of daemons and queues on the local machine. stop { all | printer } Stop a spooling daemon after the current job completes and disable printing. topq printer [ jobnum ... ] [ user ... ] Place the jobs in the order listed at the top of the printer queue. up { all | printer } Enable everything and start a new printer daemon. Undoes the effects of down. FILES
/etc/printcap printer description file /var/spool/output/* spool directories /var/spool/output/*/lock lock file for queue control DIAGNOSTICS
?Ambiguous command abbreviation matches more than one command ?Invalid command no match was found ?Privileged command you must be a member of group "operator" or root to execute this command SEE ALSO
lpq(1), lpr(1), lprm(1), printcap(5), lpd(8) HISTORY
The lpc command appeared in 4.2BSD. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD