Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Password limitations.
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Password limitations. Post 302128637 by vikesh.dayaram on Wednesday 25th of July 2007 09:51:08 PM
Old 07-25-2007
Enforcing Password - on first login

By using the passwd -f (username) command- .this will enfore a new password on the first login attempt. This works was wandering if their was a way to incorporate this into the user account creation. To be a little clearer- when the administrator is creating a new account- unix will ask for the new password - is their any script that can be run that once the temporary password has been entered twice- unix will automatically run the passwd -f (username) command and hence save the administrator time from manually using this command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mkdir limitations

What characters can't be used with a mkdir? Any limits on length of name? Thank you, Randy M. Zeitman http://www.StoneRoseDesign.com (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: flignar
12 Replies

2. IP Networking

need help with 32 bit IP address limitations

32 bit IP addresses with class based allocation schemes have limitations. does anyone know where i could get some info on this or if you have time to spare and really want to help me, a couple of sentences. thanks milos (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 30177005
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Sort - Limitations

Hi All, I want to sort a flat file which will contain millions of records based on a key/field. For this I want to use unix sort command and before that I want to make sure that unix sort command has any file size limitations. And also please let me know whether I have to change any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chprvkmr
2 Replies

4. AIX

SORT Command Limitations

Hi every body, On AIX 4.3.3 what is the maximum file size that can be used with sort command? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csplit limitations

I am trying to use the csplit file on a file that contains records that have more than 2048 characters on a line. The resultant split file seems to ignore the rest of the line and I lose the data. Is there any way that csplit can handle record lengths greater than 2048? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravagga
0 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

gnuplot limitations

I'm running a simulation (programmed in C) which makes calls to gnuplot periodically to plot data I have stored. First I open a pipe to gnuplot and set it to multiplot: FILE * pipe = popen("gnuplot", "w"); fprintf(pipe, "set multiplot\n"); fflush(pipe); (this pipe stays open until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedavidw
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitations of tac/cat?

As part of a quiz assigned during my unix class I was asked to write a program to ask for a file name, print read errors, and "reverse elements in a list." I used the 'tac' command in my solution, however, I was then lectured for 5 min about the "limitations" of the 'tac' command and how a 'for'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 127.0.0.1
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

Eth0 Limitations

Hi, I have noticed some performance issues on my RHEL5 server but the memory and CPU utilization on the box is fine. I have a 1G full duplexed eth0 card and I am suspicious that this may be causing the problem. My eth0 settings are as follows: Settings for eth0: Supported ports: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
12 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris limitations

Hi, I recently started working with Solaris, and what I noticed is that a lot of commands I used to regularly use don't work, like sed -i and grep -r. I have found work arounds for these problems though but it's a pain in the ass. I'm just wondering why they decided not to include these handy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Limitations of 'pdftotext' in Linux...

Guys: I have a customer using the 'pdftotext' utility under Linux. PDFs are received via email, converted to text, etc. and it has worked nicely for years. They received a PDF from a customer and the utility will not read it. The text file is created but it's either empty or has 1-2 bytes of... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenlenard
23 Replies
authck(1M)																authck(1M)

NAME
authck - check internal consistency of Authentication database SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The command only works for systems that have been converted to trusted mode. checks both the overall structure and internal field consistency of all components of the Authentication database. It reports all problems it finds. Only users who have the superuser capability can run this command. When is used with the option, is run with the option auto- matically. Options recognizes the following options and tests: Check the Protected Password database. The Protected Password database and are checked for completeness such that neither contains entries not in the other. The cross references between the Protected Password database and are checked to make sure that they agree. If a user does NOT exist in but exists in the Protected Password database, then all inconsistencies are reported. Fields in the Protected Password database are then checked for reasonable values. For example, all time stamps of past events are checked to make sure that they have times less than the times returned by time(2). Fields in the Terminal Control database are checked for reasonable values. All time stamps of past events are checked to make sure they have times less than those returned by time(2). Shorthand equivalent of using the and options together in a single command. Provide running diagnostics as the program proceeds. Produce warnings when unusual conditions are encountered that might not cause program errors in login, password and su pro- grams. WARNINGS
HP-UX 11i Version 3 is the last release to support trusted systems functionality. FILES
System password file Protected Password database Terminal Control database System Defaults database AUTHOR was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
getprpwent(3), getprtcent(3), getprdfent(3), authcap(4). TO BE OBSOLETED authck(1M)