Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help with find & grep commands Post 302128585 by moe2266 on Wednesday 25th of July 2007 02:34:08 PM
Old 07-25-2007
Computer help with find & grep commands

Folks;
First about find:
when i run this:
find . -name '*log*' -mtime +10 -print | sed 's+^\./++;s+/.*++' | sort -u

i got list of log files but also get a directories (although directory names doesn't have "log" in it).
How can i exclude the directory from the output of this find command?

Now for grep:

How can i grep for some file names & exclude some other files, for example:
Let's say my files named file.now.txt and i want to grep for files named *.txt except for the ones with now.txt
any idea?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find & grep

Hi, I would like to know which files contain a certain string. If I use 'grep "string" *' only the working directory is being searched. I also want to search the subdirectories. When I use 'find . -type f -print |xargs grep "string" > dev/null' I get the message 'xargs: missing quote?'. What's... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anika
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and grep commands

I'm having trouble with the following commands i. count the number of lines which end in a 4 letter word grep '{4\}$' bfile <<seems to print out everything abc abc abcd joe joe john bob bill gregory greg greg gregory the grep command prints out the lines with 4 letter words and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: StrengthThaDon
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find & If commands together

Hi to everybody!! I have a (simple) question but i am newbie with unix and so i need a little help...I am writing a bash script file and i want to put inside this: i have this command " find /usr/bin -name bzip2 -print " that i want to put it in a "if" statement and when it returns true the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis7
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string using grep & print the line above or below that.

Hi All, Please tell me how can I Find a string using grep & print the line above or below that in solaris? Please share as I am unable to use grep -A or grep -B as it is not working on Solaris. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaib
10 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

find grep sed commands homework

Use and complete the template provided. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have to make as home work several commands with gerp find and sed 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: FIND command -use command find... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ViruS89
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Grep & find & while read line in a script

Hello people! I would like to create one script following this stage I have one directory with 100 files File001 File002 ... File100 (This is the format of content of the 100 files) 2012/03/10 12:56:50:221875936 1292800448912 12345 0x00 0x04 0 then I have one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abv_mx81
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GREP Find & Replace <p class>

I am making an eBook. I am editing the html in BBedit. I need to replace all <p class="s5"> with just a <p>. How do I write this for GREP? Thank you, Abby (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cuddlykitty
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Wildcards used in find, ls and grep commands

Platforms : Solaris 10 and RHEL 5.6 I always get double quotes , single quotes and asteriks mixed up for find, ls and grep commands. The below commands retrieve the correct results. But , unders stress , I get all these mixed up :mad: .So, i wanted to get a clear picture. Please check if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep commands & format

I have these grep commands and need to put them next each other (in horizontal layout). cat /tmp/dsmc.out |grep Done cat /tmp/dsmc.out |grep "Elapsed processing time:" cat /tmp/dsmc.out |grep "Client date/time:" cat /tmp/dsmc.out |grep "Total number of bytes transferred:" so that it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)