Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Use of #! at the begining ?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use of #! at the begining ? Post 302128400 by Perderabo on Tuesday 24th of July 2007 03:08:33 PM
Old 07-24-2007

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore Lines Begining With #

Is there a standard way to make a shell script read a file, or list, and skip each line that contains # at the begining, or ignores the content starting after a # in line? I'm looking to mimic the way commenting in a shell script normally works. This way I can comment my text files and lists my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I ignore only the lines which have # at the begining?

From the below file I want to grep only the lines except the comment sections. But grep -v "#" is eliminating the last line because it has one # in between. Any idea how can I ignore only the lines which have # at the begining (I mean comment lines) ? Thanks a lot to all in advance C Saha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaha
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning to begining of a script

Dear all, When i ask a question in my script if the answer is not correct i need to goback to the begning of the script and ask the question again. ex - What is your name ? saman Name is not correct ...try again What is the name ? Nimal Thank you.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nayanajith
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Begining Shell scripter

I am trying to write for my class project a shell script, using bourne shell, that will take one command, either -l or -w. If -l is entered then the script should output the names of all the files in my working directory sorted in increasing order of the number of lines in the file. If -w is input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Ronaldo-7-
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

append zero's in the begining

Hi Guru's I've a variable "COUNT", which has the total number of records. I need to print the contents of COUNT in 8 digit form to a file. If count is 1, I need to print 00000001 If count is 23, I need to print 00000023 same way if count is 77898, I need to print 00077898. the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put a comment at the begining of the sentence

I have a file shows as below. I would like to put # before CCCC. so how to do in Solaris. Here sed doesnot support -i AAAA BBBB CCCCC DDDDD EEEEE FFFFFF (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best book to learn UNIX from the begining

What is the Best book to learn UNIX from the begining? am really a beginner and no nothing about UNIX, so what are the track that i have to trace in order to be a professional in UNIX and scripting? What are the best books to learn it and what are the certificates such as CCNA in networks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eng.pirlo
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

junk characters in the begining of every line

Hi Experts, here is a background to my problem : I am exporting data from teradata using fastexport utility, as varchar data. This pads additional two bytes (2 places as seen in notepad) in the resultset. I have found out other means of avoiding it but can't use varchar option in that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumoka
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to check begining of each row

Hi, I want to insert columns into a file. Some are standard (e.g. 1) and some are dependent on the contents on other columns. I am using the following code In the below the first 1 (after $2), can be a 1 or 3 depending on what $1 starts with e.g. if $1 is 405 then the third field in the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksexton
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace string at begining of the line

Hello again people, I have a list of websites in this format: domain.com domain1.com domain2.com domainwww.com domain2www.com domain3www.com www.domain.com www.domain2.com www.domain3.com I want to replace the string "www." with "nothing" but only lines that start with "www." ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
3 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)