Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Use of #! at the begining ?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use of #! at the begining ? Post 302128389 by jambesh on Tuesday 24th of July 2007 01:35:49 PM
Old 07-24-2007
Use of #! at the begining ?

All,
i have some doubt on #!/bin/bash or #!/bin/ksh at the begining of script.
Need to know folowing thing ?
-- what would be the problem if i will mention in the first line #!/bin/bash
and will use korn shell syntax and the reverse ?
-- Can i mention at the begining #/bin/bash
then use some bash shel syntax ?and then i will write #!/bin/ksh in the
middle of script and start using kshell syntax ? is it right ?
-- I have tested even if i will not write the #! in the begining of script it
is working some time and also when it is not at the first line of code

Please give some suggestion on these point ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore Lines Begining With #

Is there a standard way to make a shell script read a file, or list, and skip each line that contains # at the begining, or ignores the content starting after a # in line? I'm looking to mimic the way commenting in a shell script normally works. This way I can comment my text files and lists my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I ignore only the lines which have # at the begining?

From the below file I want to grep only the lines except the comment sections. But grep -v "#" is eliminating the last line because it has one # in between. Any idea how can I ignore only the lines which have # at the begining (I mean comment lines) ? Thanks a lot to all in advance C Saha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaha
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning to begining of a script

Dear all, When i ask a question in my script if the answer is not correct i need to goback to the begning of the script and ask the question again. ex - What is your name ? saman Name is not correct ...try again What is the name ? Nimal Thank you.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nayanajith
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Begining Shell scripter

I am trying to write for my class project a shell script, using bourne shell, that will take one command, either -l or -w. If -l is entered then the script should output the names of all the files in my working directory sorted in increasing order of the number of lines in the file. If -w is input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Ronaldo-7-
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

append zero's in the begining

Hi Guru's I've a variable "COUNT", which has the total number of records. I need to print the contents of COUNT in 8 digit form to a file. If count is 1, I need to print 00000001 If count is 23, I need to print 00000023 same way if count is 77898, I need to print 00077898. the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put a comment at the begining of the sentence

I have a file shows as below. I would like to put # before CCCC. so how to do in Solaris. Here sed doesnot support -i AAAA BBBB CCCCC DDDDD EEEEE FFFFFF (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best book to learn UNIX from the begining

What is the Best book to learn UNIX from the begining? am really a beginner and no nothing about UNIX, so what are the track that i have to trace in order to be a professional in UNIX and scripting? What are the best books to learn it and what are the certificates such as CCNA in networks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eng.pirlo
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

junk characters in the begining of every line

Hi Experts, here is a background to my problem : I am exporting data from teradata using fastexport utility, as varchar data. This pads additional two bytes (2 places as seen in notepad) in the resultset. I have found out other means of avoiding it but can't use varchar option in that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumoka
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to check begining of each row

Hi, I want to insert columns into a file. Some are standard (e.g. 1) and some are dependent on the contents on other columns. I am using the following code In the below the first 1 (after $2), can be a 1 or 3 depending on what $1 starts with e.g. if $1 is 405 then the third field in the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksexton
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace string at begining of the line

Hello again people, I have a list of websites in this format: domain.com domain1.com domain2.com domainwww.com domain2www.com domain3www.com www.domain.com www.domain2.com www.domain3.com I want to replace the string "www." with "nothing" but only lines that start with "www." ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
3 Replies
gst-complete-0.8(1)						   User Commands					       gst-complete-0.8(1)

NAME
gst-complete-0.8, gst-complete - perform bash completion for gst-launch command lines SYNOPSIS
complete -Cgst-complete-0.8 gst-launch gst-complete [--gst-list-mm] [--gst-mm=string] [--print] DESCRIPTION
gst-complete-0.8 enables bash to provide context-sensitive tab completion for gst-launch command lines. See gst-launch(1) for the syntax of gst-launch command lines. You must have a version of bash that supports programmable completion. Such versions of bash provide the complete built-in command. gst-complete is a wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-complete-X.X. For example, if both gst-complete-0.7 and gst- complete-0.8 are installed on your system, gst-complete runs gst-complete-0.8. OPTIONS
The following options are supported by gst-complete-0.8 and gst-complete: --help Display detailed usage message. You can also use -? to specify this option. The following options are supported by gst-complete only: --gst-list-mm List found major/minor versions. This option displays the versions that are available. --gst-mm=string Force major/minor version. This option enables you to specify a specific version to run, if you do not want to run the default version. --print Print wrapped command line. This option displays the command that will be run, and then runs the command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Generating the Registry of Available Plugins by Running gst-compprep Run the following command in your .bash_profile or other appropriate place: example% complete -C gst-complete-0.8 gst-launch Example 2: Running the Wrapper Script and Displaying the Command Name example% gst-complete --print /usr/bin/gst-complete-0.8 FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gst-complete-0.Executable for bash completion for gst-launch /usr/bin/gst-complete Wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-complete-X.X ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-media | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gst-compprep(1), gst-feedback(1), gst-inspect(1), gst-launch(1), gst-launch-ext(1), gst-md5sum(1), gst-register(1), gst-thumbnail(1), gst- typefind(1), gst-xmlinspect(1), gst-xmllaunch(1), gstreamer-properties(1), libgstreamer-0.8(3), libgstgetbits(3) NOTES
Original man page written by the GStreamer team at http://gstreamer.net/. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 14 Oct 2004 gst-complete-0.8(1)