Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ftp - determine ascii or binary file Post 302128070 by jgt on Saturday 21st of July 2007 03:53:58 PM
Old 07-21-2007
If your purpose is to back up the files, then copy them all as binary, and restore them all as binary, then there is no conversion or corruption to worry about.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to determine if a file is ASCII?

I'm writing a script that takes a filename as an argument, which determines the "file type" of the file. I want to know if there is any command I can use to determine if a file is ASCII type, thanks all for giving a help. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: popo
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP'ed in ASCII a word file, how to recover

This is my worst nightmare in recent years!!! I spent two days writing a proposal due tomorrow, ftp'ed the Word doc to a Unix machine in ASCII mode (i forgot to turn BIN on). Then I was trying to help a colleague download it and I accidently download the ASCII file back to the same dir on my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkir
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Binary or ascii file

I want to verify the file is Binary or ascii file and accordingly I want to switch the program with ret code ie 0 or success and 1 for failure Can any one help me is this a correct syntex...i am getting error #!/bin/ksh $file filename if echo "ascii fie Found" else echo " binary... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: u263066
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check the file data type(ascii or binary)

hi i am receiving a file from one system , i have to verify the format of the file data i.e whether the data is in acii format or binary format, please help thanks in advance satya (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

5. Programming

Reading a binary file in text or ASCII format

Hi All, Please suggest me how to read a binary file in text or ASCII format. thanks Nagendra (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagendra
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tru64 - how can you determine the package where a file or binary belongs to?

Dear linux-unix users, I hope that one of you will be able to help me. How can I determine to which package a file or binary belongs to. With solaris/linux package managers you can easely determine this but i cant find the way how to do this on tru64. Any help would greatly be appreciated.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crazy_lenny
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between ascii and binary file -

what is the diff between ascii and binary file. my understand is that.. ascii file - has only line feed - \n in it where as binary file - has both line feed and carriage return in it- \r\n is that correct. also,what is the ksh command to identify whether it is a binary or ascii... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: billpeter3010
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a binary file to ascii and vice versa?

Hi All, I have a binary file which is being exported from a Database, and i need to convert that to ASCII format. How can i achieve that? And this solution should work for any file which is given to us; means they will give different files from different tables. Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: baranisachin
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File conversion from Binary to ASCII though UNIX command

Hi All , I have a mainframe file which contains the data in EBCDIC format.I have downloaded this file from mainframe to windows in binary format(unreadable raw data).Now I want convert this file to ASCII format(readable format data) through Unix command.I have tried iconv but that is not working... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: STCET22
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Base32 decoding binary file to ascii

I need to convert a binary file which in encoded using base32 encoding technique and convert that into readible ASCII so that i can load the same in DB. is there any command to do the same. sample from the binary file lools like : ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: krk
18 Replies
geniconvtbl(1)                                                     User Commands                                                    geniconvtbl(1)

NAME
geniconvtbl - generate iconv code conversion tables SYNOPSIS
geniconvtbl [-fnq] [-p preprocessor] [-W arg] [-Dname] [-Dname=def] [-Idirectory] [-Uname] [infile...] DESCRIPTION
The geniconvtbl utility accepts code conversion rules defined in flat text file(s) and writes code conversion binary table file(s) that can be used to support user-defined iconv code conversions (see iconv(1) and iconv(3C) for more detail on the iconv code conversion). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f Overwrites output file if the output file exists. -n Does not generate an output file. This is useful to check the contents of the input file. -p preprocessor Uses specified preprocessor instead of the default preprocessor, /usr/lib/cpp. -q Quiet option. It suppresses warning and error messages. -W arg Passes the argument arg to the preprocessor. If this option is specified more than once, all arguments are passed to the preprocessor. -Dname geniconvtbl recognizes these options and passes them and their arguments to the preprocessor. -Dname=def -Idirectory -Uname OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: infile A path name of an input file. If no input file is specified, geniconvtbl reads from the standard input stream. The user can specify more than one input file if necessary. OUTPUT
If input is from the standard input stream, geniconvtbl writes output to the standard output stream. If one or more input files are speci- fied, geniconvtbl reads from each input file and writes to a corresponding output file. Each of the output file names will be the same as the corresponding input file with .bt appended. The generated output files must be moved to the following directory prior to using the code conversions at iconv(1) and iconv(3C): /usr/lib/iconv/geniconvtbl/binarytables/ The output file name should start with one or more printable ASCII characters as the 'fromcode' name followed by a percentage character (%), followed by one or more printable ASCII characters as the 'tocode' name, followed by the suffix '.bt'. The 'fromcode' and 'tocode' names are used to identify the iconv code conversion at iconv(1) and iconv_open(3C)). The properly named output file should be placed in the directory, /usr/lib/iconv/geniconvtbl/binarytables/. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Generating an iconv code conversion binary table The following example generates a code conversion binary table with output file name convertA2B.bt: example% geniconvtbl convertA2B Example 2: Generating multiple iconv code conversion binary tables The following example generates two code conversion binary tables with output files test1.bt and test2.bt: example% geniconvtbl test1 test2 Example 3: Using another preprocessor The following example generates a code conversion binary table once the specified preprocessor has processed the input file: example% geniconvtbl -p /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -W -E convertB2A Example 4: Placing a binary table To use the binary table created in the first example above as the engine of the conversion 'fromcode' ABC to 'tocode' DEF, become super- user and then rename it and place it like this: example# mv convertA2B.bt /usr/lib/iconv/geniconvtbl/binarytables/ABC%DEF.bt Example 5: Providing modified ISO8859-1 to UTF-8 code conversion Write a geniconvtbl source file that defines the code conversion. For instance, you can copy over /usr/lib/iconv/genicon- vtbl/srcs/ISO8859-1_to_UTF-8.src into your directory and make necessary changes at the source file. Once the modifications are done, generate the binary table: example% geniconvtbl ISO8859-1_to_UTF-8.src As super-user, place the generated binary table with a unique name at the system directory where iconv_open(3C) can find the binary table: example su Password: example% cp ISO8859-1_to_UTF-8.bt /usr/lib/iconv/geniconvtbl/binarytables/my-iso-8859-1%utf-8.bt After that, you can do the iconv code conversion. For instance: example% iconv -f my-iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 testfile.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of geniconvtbl: LANG and LC_CTYPE. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 No errors occurred and the output files were successfully created. 1 Command line options are not correctly used or an unknown command line option was specified. 2 Invalid input or output file was specified. 3 Conversion rules in input files are not correctly defined. 4 Conversion rule limit of input files has been reached. See NOTES section of geniconvtbl(4). 5 No more system resource error. 6 Internal error. FILES
/usr/lib/iconv/geniconvtbl/binarytables/*.bt conversion binary tables /usr/lib/iconv/geniconvtbl/srcs/* conversion source files for user reference ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpp(1), iconv(1), iconv(3C), iconv_close(3C), iconv_open(3C), geniconvtbl(4), attributes(5), environ(5), iconv(5) Solaris Internationalization Guide for Developers NOTES
The generated and correctly placed output files, /usr/lib/iconv/geniconvtbl/binarytables/*.bt, are used in both 32-bit and 64-bit environ- ments. SunOS 5.10 30 Nov 2001 geniconvtbl(1)