Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ps | grep command not returning existing process Post 302127811 by kahuna on Thursday 19th of July 2007 03:29:56 PM
Old 07-19-2007
I know nothing about AIX. But some man pages on the web for "ps" say, "Programs swapped out to disk will be shown without command line arguments, and unless the c option is given, in brackets."

It's not clear if you are grepping for command line arguments. If you are, and the program is swapped out and the AIX ps is subject to the limitation, it could be failing on the grep for command line arguments.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED Command Returning a Blank File

I have a file called get_columns.sh that I would like to replace $2 with $3. I have the following sed command written that works sed s/'$3'/'$2'/g get_columns.sh > output.txt However, when I try the command below, the file is empty. sed s/'$3'/'$2'/g get_columns.sh > get_columns.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find command not returning any result

I am looking for all the header files (*.h).. which as per documentation of the UNIX system shouldbe there. I am using find / -name *.h -print But it does't give anything. My question is under what condition the "find" condition will fail to find the file? What is the work around. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rraajjiibb
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

returning status of a command

Hello gurus, Tired of using $? to view the execution status of the previous command. how can I get the status directly? definitely this is not working, if ] then fi (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biglau
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command to show only process name

Can I modify the grep command to show only a process name? Currently I run ps -efa | grep chk_web to get the following: mousr 3395 1 0 09:36:06 pts/10 0:00 sh /var/opt/scripts/chk_web.sh Can this be changed in any way to get only: /var/opt/scripts/chk_web.sh or chk_web.sh. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep returning partial lines due to special characters

Hey guys, I have a file with an ID which I'm using to grep out the original record from another file. Problem is I have special characters in the original file, and grep is returning only a partial record. How can I get around this? Appreciate your help! Pete (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peteroc
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command returning bad status--

would like to remove the post (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vk39221
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Grep --byte-offset not returning the offset (Grep version 2.5.1)

Hi, I am trying to get the position of a repeated string in a line using grep -b -o "pattern" In my server I am using GNU grep version 2.14 and the code is working fine. However when I am deploying the same code in a different server which is using GNU grep version 2.5.1 the code is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subhamoy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps returning more process ids

Please help me with this question I have a tantan.sh under /home/mydir which is a caller to another script "tantan.sh" under /home/anotherdir ----------------------------------------------------------- /home/mydir/tantan.sh ------------------------------------------------------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruincredible
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

RHEL6 : Remote process exited without returning status

Hi All, I am using RHEL 6 linux in my lab server and I am new to RHEL6 features. lab1:root> uname -a Linux lab1 2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Aug 2 17:04:38 EDT 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I am facing a peculiar issue in my lab machine. When I connected via Opsware Global... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: go2suresh1979
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Process to add mount point in Sun Cluster existing HAplus resource

Hi Well I would like to know step by step process of adding a mountpoint in HAPLUS resource in SUN cluster as I go the below command to add a mount point but not the step by step process of adding a mount point in existing HA Plus resource. clrs set -p FileSystemMountPoints+=<new_MP>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
3 Replies
Tk_SetAppName(3)					       Tk Library Procedures						  Tk_SetAppName(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_SetAppName - Set the name of an application for 'send' commands SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> const char * Tk_SetAppName(tkwin, name) ARGUMENTS
Tk_Window tkwin (in) Token for window in application. Used only to select a particular application. const char *name (in) Name under which to register the application. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tk_SetAppName associates a name with a given application and records that association on the display containing with the application's main window. After this procedure has been invoked, other applications on the display will be able to use the send command to invoke operations in the application. If name is already in use by some other application on the display, then a new name will be generated by appending " #2" to name; if this name is also in use, the number will be incremented until an unused name is found. The return value from the proce- dure is a pointer to the name actually used. If the application already has a name when Tk_SetAppName is called, then the new name replaces the old name. Tk_SetAppName also adds a send command to the application's interpreter, which can be used to send commands from this application to others on any of the displays where the application has windows. The application's name registration persists until the interpreter is deleted or the send command is deleted from interp, at which point the name is automatically unregistered and the application becomes inaccessible via send. The application can be made accessible again by calling Tk_SetAppName. Tk_SetAppName is called automatically by Tk_Init, so applications do not normally need to call it explicitly. The command tk appname provides Tcl-level access to the functionality of Tk_SetAppName. KEYWORDS
application, name, register, send command Tk 4.0 Tk_SetAppName(3)