Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A few questions from a newbie(shell script) Post 302127684 by perk_bud on Thursday 19th of July 2007 04:26:39 AM
Old 07-19-2007
A few questions from a newbie(shell script)

Q1>How do i read and write to file in shell script. Here is what i want let's assume the filename as "file1"

Read file1

Check the content of file1 which can be either "0" or "1"

if(content == 0)
{
execute a command
}

flush file1(remove all contents in it)

write "1" in to file1

execute a few commands

flush file1(remove all contents in it)

write "0" in to the file

Q2>How do i store the result of a shell script command in a variable.For example

"dropdb something" - When i execute this command on bash it gives a message
"database dropped" how do i capture this in shell and store it in a variable and compare it

Thanks for helping me!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A few newbie questions

Hi :) I just wanted to ask a few basic questions really. I'm telnetting to a remote host and I've finally found out that I'm using a csh shell. My questions are: 1. Is the somename@something, the user group logged in? 2. How do I change user? I'm really lost so I hope someone can help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellz
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

buncha questions from a newbie

Even though I have been logging in to a UNIX shell at school to complete school projects and write programs, but I had never really worked in UNIX environment. But a couple of weeks back I got hooked on to Solaris 9OE, read a book, a tutorial, a document provided on the Sun Microsystems website,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: init-5
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Questions

I am relatively new to both KSH and Unix scripting, and I would like some help getting my script up and running. I would like to have the script attempt various commands (tar, copy, gzip etc) and then write the results (error msg or success msg) to a temp file. I would then like an email sent to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
2 Replies

4. Linux

Questions of a newbie

I have been an apple customer for years now, and am not satisfied with the direction that they are going. So I just ordered my first PC notebook the other day. I have no desire to use windows, however with microsoft's hold on the market, I feel that I may have a hard time doing this. I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brycemb16
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LISP newbie's questions

Hello, I want to learn LISP, and I have a GNU/Linux OS. I first sought a LISP compiler/interpreter and was told that GNU Emacs has a LISP mode. But I couldn't get into LISP mode, nor I don't know how to use it when I get into LISP mode. How can I run LISP code under GNU Emacs? And if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rayne
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris Newbie questions...

Hello everyone, I am brand spanking new to both Solaris and Unix. I thought I would give it a go after buying a SB2500 off ebay for a few hundred dollars. I am having some issues that I am not sure how to correct, and I am wondering if I can get a few pointers? The first one is that my system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl newbie questions!

Hi, So I started to learn perl a few days ago, and I have some problems... One of my problems... #!C:\Perl64\bin\perl.exe -w use LWP::Simple; print "Content-Type: Text/Plain\n\n"; sub pagelinks { return @all = get($_) =~ /href\s*=\s*"?(+)/gis; } @a =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: byte1918
5 Replies

8. AIX

Newbie Questions for AIX !!!

Hi Guys, I am new in this forum and new with AIX however not new with Power System. I have worked with iSeries for many years. Now supporting AIX on Power. Here are some basic questions I have. 1. I am using Putty to connect from my PC to the AIX boxes. Is there any other (better) program to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script newbie- how to generate service log from shell script

Hi, I am totally a newbie to any programming languages and I just started an entry level job in an IT company. One of my recent tasks is to create a script that is able to show the log file of linux service (i.e. ntpd service) lets say, if I run my script ./test.sh, the output should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiaogeji
3 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
compares three versions of a file, and prints disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: all three files differ file1 is different file2 is different file3 is different The type of change required to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = or Text is to be changed in the range line n1 through line n2. If n1 = n2, the range can be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Produces a script for the editor that can be used to incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3 (see ed(1)); i.e., the changes that normally would be flagged and Produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged Produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged Produces a script that will incorporate all changes between file2 and file3, but treat overlapping changes (that is, changes that would be flagged with in normal listing) differently. The overlapping lines in both files will be inserted by the edit script bracketed by and lines. Produces a script that will incorporate only changes flagged , but treat these changes in the manner of option. The following command applies the resulting script to file1. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
Text lines that consist of a single period defeat Files longer than 64K bytes do not work. FILES
SEE ALSO
diff(1). diff3(1)