Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Interpreting java output stream as system commands in Solaris Post 302127584 by EugeneG on Wednesday 18th of July 2007 05:07:54 PM
Old 07-18-2007
Interpreting java output stream as system commands in Solaris

Hi there again,

Running Solaris 10 with built-in Java. Seems to compile and run fine.

Problem is: Say I want to see contents of current directory. In a shell, I'd just write "ls" and it outputs the content.

When I write a Java file, I have the following line:

System.out.println("ls");

But when I run the file, what it does is echo "ls" itself to the screen, instead of sending it to the shell as a command (so instead of seeing directory contents all I see is the text "ls"). What should I change the above line to, so that "ls" is sent to the shell as a command, instead of just echoed?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

rsh commands not getting executed from Solaris 10 System to AIX System

Hi Friends, I am trying to execute rsh commands from Solaris 10 system to AIX system. When I give; Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ls -l , it gives me an error rshd : 0826-826 The host name for your address is not known At the same time, Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ---- gives me remote shell of... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
25 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

interpreting netstat output

hi all, when I run- wcars1j5#netstat -an | grep 8090 127.0.0.1.8090 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN wcars1j5# 1. does this mean that no one is connected to this port? Regards, akash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interpreting prtdiag output - 2 or 4 CPUs?

I am having trouble figuring this one out.....Is this a 2CPU or a 4CPU v490 with 16GB? I think it is a 2CPU system, looking for confirmation. $ prtdiag System Configuration: Sun Microsystems sun4u Sun Fire V490 System clock frequency: 150 MHz Memory size: 16384 Megabytes ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: config_boy
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Interpreting xntpdc output.

Hi. I wonder what the equal sign in front of the answer means. I have read man pages and googled but found no answer. xntpdc -p =15.5.64.3 15.5.2.51 3 512 377 0.02060 0.057426 0.04965Thanks. Jan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vettec3
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How can I output all previous Unix commands in Solaris to a file??

Hello friends: I login to solaris with a username/Password and I can see quite a lot of previous I use dbefore, it accumulates a lot, I hope to output them into a Command.txt file as reference, not copy/paste 1 by 1, is there any way I can collect all commands in batch then put into a file, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysunnysunny
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to fetch the commands at solaris system

:wall:i'm system administrator. now i have a trouble. i want to fetch the command which the login users performed by shell.but i don't know how to process this problem.if anyone tell me how to do this work I would be very grateful.thank you! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anline5104
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting a variable in a stream of commands

can someone help me with this? AgentDX=/tmp/tesfinal && cat final.enc | openssl aes-128-cbc -a -d -salt -k hello | sh the content of final.enc is a code. and in that code, the value of AgentDX is needed. however, i cant seem to find a way to allow the code to recognize that the variable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Interpreting Linux's free command output

I have two questions on Linux's free command. Below, I have provided output from my home laptop (fedora 26 ) which has 16GB Physical RAM and a production server (RHEL 7.4) which has 24GB RAM. Question1. What exactly does the buffer/cache column say in free command's output ? buffer/cache is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
9 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)