Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TUNING: memory page sizes
Operating Systems AIX TUNING: memory page sizes Post 302127540 by kapilraj on Wednesday 18th of July 2007 12:27:59 PM
Old 07-18-2007
Large pages will help applications like Oracle in saving a lot of cpu time by reading / writing large pages instead of the smaller 4K pages , I think the pricess is called lrud which will save lots of cpu. I remember when we did it in the past, We designed the Oracle SGA to use all large pages and pinned. Please note that large pages does not support paging.

Yes, we did leave the rest of the memory [ Total - SGA ] in 4Ks. As IBM documented it can have serious impact to other applications if the page size is more than 4K.

So we will need sufficient memory. And make sure that all the large pages are allocated for the application which is capable of using it. Dont leave any large pages free. They must be pinned in the memory [ no paging ].

If you are talking about oracle, then I will implement large pages on a server which is dedicated for Oracle DB. Nothing else. If that is a webserver cum apps server and something else , I will not do that. The reason being complexity is designing and then maintaining.

Regards,

Kaps

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tuning Unix server memory - HPUX11i

Hello, I'm using a unix server (HP rp2450) which has : 2 Go RAM memory and 4 Go swap. Here is the result of vmstat -n command : $ vmstat -n VM memory page faults avm free re at pi po fr de sr in sy ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thierryUX
5 Replies

2. Web Development

MySQL Tuning Tools with mysqltuner.pl and tuning-primer.sh

We have been tuning MySQL lately and I ran accoss two useful tools that you might be interested in: mysqltuner.pl tuning-primer.sh Both of these scripts are quite useful for MySQL tuning. Here is some sample output of mysqltuner.pl >> MySQLTuner 0.9.8 - Major Hayden... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
3 Replies

3. AIX

amount of memory allocated to large page

We just set up a system to use large pages. I want to know if there is a command to see how much of the memory is being used for large pages. For example if we have a system with 8GB of RAm assigned and it has been set to use 4GB for large pages is there a command to show that 4GB of the *GB is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

4. AIX

Check that memory page is filled by zeros when a process gets it in first time

I have to check whether AIX fills physical memory pages by zeros when they are given for a new process (or may be when they are freed from an address space, but it's hardly probable). In other words when a process gets a new memory page, this one must be cleaned. I've solved this issue for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sokolovm
2 Replies

5. AIX

Lots of page faults and free memory

Hello, I've been reading your forums for quite a while and the great amount of information I find here always come in hand.This time however, I need some specific help... I have a doubt with an AIX server which I'm failing to understand as I'm new to its concept of memory management... ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: flpgdt
8 Replies

6. AIX

AIX 6.1: Releasing Memory and Page Space

Hi everyone, i have a question about the Memory Management in AIX 6.1. I have - 128 GB RAM and - 70 GB Page Space. The application i am running on this machine is doing some operations in perl. These are done only once a day and uses both memory and paging space. My problem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Haichao
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Page Fault + Memory

I am not sure where to post this so i will put it in the newbie section. I have set up a bog standard debain 6, LAMP environment in the cloud. The specs 1 core at 2GH 2.5gb Memory running Jommla, with about 1.6K visitors a day. I am using AppFirst (appfirst.com) to monitor the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waseem
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Memory Utilization swap and page scan

Hi, on AIX 6 , how to see : Memory Utilization Memory Page Scan Rate Swap Utilization Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 6.1 memory tuning

Greetings, i'm wondering if there is a way to determine minimum memory requirement for AIX kernel and OS functions? We use memdetails script from perfpmr package to see actual memory allocation, for example like this: ===========================================================================... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dzodzo
5 Replies
MLOCKALL(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       MLOCKALL(2)

NAME
mlockall - disable paging for calling process SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int mlockall(int flags); DESCRIPTION
mlockall disables paging for all pages mapped into the address space of the calling process. This includes the pages of the code, data and stack segment, as well as shared libraries, user space kernel data, shared memory and memory mapped files. All mapped pages are guaranteed to be resident in RAM when the mlockall system call returns successfully and they are guaranteed to stay in RAM until the pages are unlocked again by munlock or munlockall or until the process terminates or starts another program with exec. Child processes do not inherit page locks across a fork. Memory locking has two main applications: real-time algorithms and high-security data processing. Real-time applications require determin- istic timing, and, like scheduling, paging is one major cause of unexpected program execution delays. Real-time applications will usually also switch to a real-time scheduler with sched_setscheduler. Cryptographic security software often handles critical bytes like passwords or secret keys as data structures. As a result of paging, these secrets could be transfered onto a persistent swap store medium, where they might be accessible to the enemy long after the security software has erased the secrets in RAM and terminated. For security applications, only small parts of memory have to be locked, for which mlock is available. The flags parameter can be constructed from the bitwise OR of the following constants: MCL_CURRENT Lock all pages which are currently mapped into the address space of the process. MCL_FUTURE Lock all pages which will become mapped into the address space of the process in the future. These could be for instance new pages required by a growing heap and stack as well as new memory mapped files or shared memory regions. If MCL_FUTURE has been specified and the number of locked pages exceeds the upper limit of allowed locked pages, then the system call which caused the new mapping will fail with ENOMEM. If these new pages have been mapped by the the growing stack, then the kernel will deny stack expansion and send a SIGSEGV. Real-time processes should reserve enough locked stack pages before entering the time-critical section, so that no page fault can be caused by function calls. This can be achieved by calling a function which has a sufficiently large automatic variable and which writes to the memory occupied by this large array in order to touch these stack pages. This way, enough pages will be mapped for the stack and can be locked into RAM. The dummy writes ensure that not even copy-on-write page faults can occur in the critical section. Memory locks do not stack, i.e., pages which have been locked several times by calls to mlockall or mlock will be unlocked by a single call to munlockall. Pages which are mapped to several locations or by several processes stay locked into RAM as long as they are locked at least at one location or by at least one process. On POSIX systems on which mlockall and munlockall are available, _POSIX_MEMLOCK is defined in <unistd.h>. RETURN VALUE
On success, mlockall returns zero. On error, -1 is returned, errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
ENOMEM The process tried to exceed the maximum number of allowed locked pages. EPERM The calling process does not have appropriate privileges. Only root processes are allowed to lock pages. EINVAL Unknown flags were specified. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1b, SVr4. SVr4 documents an additional EAGAIN error code. SEE ALSO
munlockall(2), mlock(2), munlock(2) Linux 1.3.43 1995-11-26 MLOCKALL(2)