Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Counting up a variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting up a variable Post 302127437 by bigearsbilly on Wednesday 18th of July 2007 03:07:38 AM
Old 07-18-2007
if you have a file with variables

x=y
y=twenty
z="(1,2,3)"

you can just dot them in.

. varfile

and these variables will be instantiated to the values given, easy.

is that what you mean?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting string of a variable

Hi, There is a variable f_name, it store some file names. Value of f_name=a.sql b.sql c.sql....... like this. want to count how many file name the var f_name stores. Without using loop is there any command to count that. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with counting of files then pass number to variable

hi all, i'm trying to pass a count of files to a variable thru these set of codes: sh_count=$(ls -1 fnd_upload_LV*.* |wc -l) problem is if no files matches that, it will give an error "ls: fnd_upload_LV*.*: No such file or directory". how do i avoid having the shell script show that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of commas(,) in a variable

Hi all, I am having problems counting commas (,) from a variable in shell scripting.. the variable contains similiar to: ID@NAME@DESCRIPTION,ID@NAME@DESCRIPTION, ..... It can go on and on.. So i need to count the number of sets i.e.( ID@NAME@DESCRIPTION is one set) and process the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faelric
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting

Hi, I want to count how many rows are in a file for a specific column. eg. K NM K NM K NM K JK K NM K JK K NM so the file is tab-delimited. I want to count how many rows are in column 2 and how many NMs there are. I used awk awk '{OFS="\t"}; {count++} {print i,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting

Hi, The following output shows how many pmon process are started by users named : oracle or yoavb $ ps -ef |grep pmon |grep -v grep |grep -v ipmon oracle 11268 1 0 Sep 2 ? 36:00 ora_pmon_qerp oracle 17496 1 0 Oct 11 ? 8:58 ora_pmon_bcv oracle 15081 1 0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alphabet counting

I have a text file in the following format CCCCCGCCCCCCCCCCcCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC AAAATAAAAAAAAAAAaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA TGTTTTTTTTTTTTGGtTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTT-TTTTTTTTTCTtTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Each row/line will have 32 letters and each line will only have multiple occurrences of 2 letters out of a pool... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data counting

I have a large tab delimited text file with 10 columns for example chrM 412 A A 75 0 25 2 ..,AGAATt II chrM 413 G G 72 0 25 4 ..t,,Aag IIIH chrM 414 C C 75 0 25 4 ...a,.. III2 chrM 415 C T 75 75 25 4 TTTt,,,ATC III7 At... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting?

Hi all, I promise this is my very last dumb question.. but how to you count how many unique names you have. My dataset is: >Bac1 afdsgrr >Bac4 egege >Bac8 dgrjh >Bac1 afdsgrr >Bac1 afdsgrr >Bac8 dgrjh What i want to know is that how many unique names there is, so the output would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iifa
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting files without ls or wc

i need to write a shell script to "count the number of files in the current directory but without using either ls or wc command"..... please help! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lexicon
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grouping and counting

Hello, I would like to group/sort a file of records by a particular field and then count how many records belong in that grouping. For example say I have the following data: 1234|"ZZZ"|"Date"|"1"|"Y"|"ABC"|""|AA ABCD|"ZZZ"|"Date"|"1"|"Y"|"ABC"|""|AA EFGH|"ZZZ"|"Date"|"1"|"Y"|"ABC"|""|BB... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nik44
14 Replies
ENVSUBST(1)								GNU							       ENVSUBST(1)

NAME
envsubst - substitutes environment variables in shell format strings SYNOPSIS
envsubst [OPTION] [SHELL-FORMAT] DESCRIPTION
Substitutes the values of environment variables. Operation mode: -v, --variables output the variables occurring in SHELL-FORMAT Informative output: -h, --help display this help and exit -V, --version output version information and exit In normal operation mode, standard input is copied to standard output, with references to environment variables of the form $VARIABLE or ${VARIABLE} being replaced with the corresponding values. If a SHELL-FORMAT is given, only those environment variables that are referenced in SHELL-FORMAT are substituted; otherwise all environment variables references occurring in standard input are substituted. When --variables is used, standard input is ignored, and the output consists of the environment variables that are referenced in SHELL-FOR- MAT, one per line. AUTHOR
Written by Bruno Haible. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-gettext@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for envsubst is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and envsubst programs are properly installed at your site, the command info envsubst should give you access to the complete manual. GNU gettext-runtime 0.18.1 June 2010 ENVSUBST(1)