Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Good source of X11 programming info? Post 302127366 by willil on Tuesday 17th of July 2007 02:44:55 PM
Old 07-17-2007
Good source of X11 programming info?

Is there a good book or something on practical programming in X11? I have the O'Reilly X window system book set. They don't seem to cover the nuances very well (at least for me). So far the only thing I find on the web is the text from these books.

Specifically, I'm looking for optimization techniques and internal differences in the event checking functions. I have an application drawing many bitmaps and want to allow the drawing to be interrupted. I've found that checking for the interrupts can increase display times by 30-50%. Moving the checks to a thread helps, but then I lose button events entirely, and configure events only come when the drawing is complete for some reason. I'll probably end up with moving the draw operations to a thread and just run event checking in the main thread. But I'd still like to really understand why things are happening the way they are.

Thanks,
Willi

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

good book for unix shell programming

hi, i am ajay. I need a good book for shell programming. a book which covers from fundamental to advance shell programming. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaygodbole
3 Replies

2. AIX

Good source of AIX Specific Scripting?

Hi everyone, I need to write some AIX scripts (ksh?), kind of fast so I'm looking for somewhere to get a crash course in it. Are there any AIX Specific Scripting resource sites that anyone can recommend, really not getting a whole lot from google. Thanks in advance, Darren (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbridle
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

source reader info

Hi friends, I urgently need to know if there is any tool called source reader in C or Unix or Linux...... If so ..plz let me know the details.I am running out of time..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Good site for Shell Programming

Hi unixers, :) I found some Good sites for learning Shell Programming. I Hope they will be useful to all of You. http://steve-parker.org/forum/ http://www.e-learningcenter.com/freecourses.htm similarly ,if u find any very good sites for shell programming pls post them, so that they will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie needs help with Xlib / X11 programming,dunno who to ask,but you :(

Hi,I'm new here and to Unix also. I'm totall newbie. Here is what I have to do: -Basics of programming user interface with Xlib library -Xlib -Client/Server model of X-Windows system -Example of "Hello world" with button which changes text ,so that when u click displays another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: megane16v
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Please advise good source of info about swapping

Hi Everyone, I have some misunderstanding about swapping. Is it true that swap a) required always (I mean I cannot set size 0 bytes) and b) some pages are saved on disk in idle time even free memory is enough ? Could you please advise some good reading about it? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sant
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

any good book for shell programming and scripting??

as title suggest i am looking for good book to start learning shell programming.please help me with this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvk21
5 Replies

8. Programming

Low level X11 programming

How to use X11 without Xlib not XCB? How draw window directly on low level? I must use anyway window manager like Motif? I have ridden that X11 has server-client architecture, client send via TCP/IP to port 6000 request for primitives and get replies. Where is detailed description of it? In X11... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndrzejB
0 Replies

9. Programming

MOTIF programming and X11 client !

Hi there , i am interesting in MOTIF programming. One question : Is it right that in Motif GUI programming the actions are automaticly transformed and networked to other clients over the internet without network programming necessary ? Are the commands automatic transformed by the X11... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zabo
4 Replies
Protocol::Connection(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Protocol::Connection(3pm)

NAME
X11::Protocol::Connection - Perl module abstract base class for X11 client to server connections SYNOPSIS
# In connection object module package X11::Protocol::Connection::CarrierPigeon; use X11::Protocol::Connection; @ISA = ('X11::Protocol::Connection'); sub open { ... } sub give { ... } sub get { ... } sub fh { ... } ... # In program $connection = X11::Protocol::Connection::CarrierPigeon ->open($host, $display_number); $x = X11::Protocol->new($connection); $connection->give($data); $reply = unpack("I", $connection->get(4)); use IO::Select; $sel = IO::select->new($connection->fh); if ($sel->can_read == $connection->fh) ... DESCRIPTION
This module is an abstract base class for the various X11::Protocol::Connection::* modules that provide connections to X servers for the X11::Protocol module. It provides stubs for the following methods: open $conn = X11::Protocol::Connection::Foo->open($host, $display_num) Open a connection to the specified display (numbered from 0) on the specified $host. give $conn->give($data) Send the given data to the server. Normally, this method is used only by the protocol module itself. get $data = $conn->get($n) Read $n bytes of data from the server. Normally, this method is used only by the protocol module itself. fh $filehandle = $conn->fh Return an object suitable for use as a filehandle. This is mainly useful for doing select() and other such system calls. AUTHOR
Stephen McCamant <SMCCAM@cpan.org>. SEE ALSO
perl(1), X11::Protocol, X11::Protocol::Connection::Socket, X11::Protocol::Connection::FileHandle, X11::Protocol::Connection::INETSocket, X11::Protocol::Connection::UNIXSocket, X11::Protocol::Connection::INETFH, X11::Protocol::Connection::UNIXFH. perl v5.14.2 2003-01-27 Protocol::Connection(3pm)