Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Processing files within a directory one by one Post 302127020 by reborg on Monday 16th of July 2007 01:44:24 AM
Old 07-16-2007
Please use the search before posting. This would have easily been answered by either searching this site or by using an internet search engine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP and Files processing

I want to do the following thing and I am newbie to Unix: 1) FTP files and save them in a folder 2) Pick the oldest file and also its name among the above FTPed files 3) Copy it to another folder X and also move the file to folder Y I know how to do the first task i.e., FTP the files and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harish409
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two files processing

I have the following two files: 1st File: 1:1:100 2:101:400 3:401:450 4:451:600 5:601:980 6:981:1500 7:1501:1600 8:1601:1800 9:1801:2000 2nd File: 30 50 80 700 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moutaz1983
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract files one by one from a directory and let some processing happen

how to extract files one by one from a directory and let some processing be done on the file I have a directory by name INTRN which has files like INTR.0003080248636814 INTR.0003080248636816 INTR.0003080248636818 . . . . and so on and in a script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saniya
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing files

Hi I have the folowing input file, the file looks like below sftp> . .. archive x001_ameint*.zip x001_ameint_1.zip x001_ameint_2.zip x001_REPORTS*.zip x001_REPORTS_1.zip sftp> I want my output to look like this x001_ameint*.zip x001_ameint_1.zip x001_ameint_2.zip (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Processing very big directory

Hello, I have a very big directory with lots of small files. Just doing a single "ls" takes eternity, so I even can't know how many files the directory has. I need to get the newest files in the last 15 minutes, but I can't get an eficient way of doing it. I've tried find, perl, shell script,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psimoes79
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

get all files from a directory and pass the files for processing

Hi All, I have a directory in which there will be several files. i want to get all the files and pass it to a piece of code for processing on the files. This is the piece of code which does the processing. tr "\n" "|" < (log file name) | tr "$" "\n" > output echo ' ' >>output while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh_kb211
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script: processing files

Hi All, I have a log file which is attached here: ACCTXN.ALLOC, ACCTXN.IDX, ACCTXN.UDX, AE_COMS, AGENCY are different file names present in my input file (it could be 000s files and all names are starting with ). Now, I am interested in getting the files which are having " Predicted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rishav
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing multiple files

Hello I have a program cfxfrwb which is designed to remove headers from reports files. The cfxfrwb is located in the following directory /u01/efin/v40/live/bin I run the program against a single report file in the temp directory and it does it's job../cfxfrwb... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: captainrhodes
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing of log files

Hi, I have typical logs file something of these formats - fn2013.12.13.log fn2013.12.13_a.log fn2013.12.13_b.log suffix part is after the underscore ( ie a.log or b.log ) I need to process the files in ascending date order, but descending suffix order, and check if the file exist and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: scott_apc
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies
DIRECTORY(3)						     Library Functions Manual						      DIRECTORY(3)

NAME
opendir, readdir, telldir, seekdir, rewinddir, closedir - directory operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/dir.h> DIR *opendir(filename) char *filename; struct direct *readdir(dirp) DIR *dirp; long telldir(dirp) DIR *dirp; seekdir(dirp, loc) DIR *dirp; long loc; rewinddir(dirp) DIR *dirp; closedir(dirp) DIR *dirp; DESCRIPTION
Opendir opens the directory named by filename and associates a directory stream with it. Opendir returns a pointer to be used to identify the directory stream in subsequent operations. The pointer NULL is returned if filename cannot be accessed, or if it cannot malloc(3) enough memory to hold the whole thing. Readdir returns a pointer to the next directory entry. It returns NULL upon reaching the end of the directory or detecting an invalid seekdir operation. Telldir returns the current location associated with the named directory stream. Seekdir sets the position of the next readdir operation on the directory stream. The new position reverts to the one associated with the directory stream when the telldir operation was performed. Values returned by telldir are good only for the lifetime of the DIR pointer from which they are derived. If the directory is closed and then reopened, the telldir value may be invalidated due to undetected direc- tory compaction. It is safe to use a previous telldir value immediately after a call to opendir and before any calls to readdir. Rewinddir resets the position of the named directory stream to the beginning of the directory. Closedir closes the named directory stream and frees the structure associated with the DIR pointer. Sample code which searchs a directory for entry ``name'' is: len = strlen(name); dirp = opendir("."); for (dp = readdir(dirp); dp != NULL; dp = readdir(dirp)) if (dp->d_namlen == len && !strcmp(dp->d_name, name)) { closedir(dirp); return FOUND; } closedir(dirp); return NOT_FOUND; SEE ALSO
open(2), close(2), read(2), lseek(2), dir(5) 4.2 Berkeley Distribution September 24, 1985 DIRECTORY(3)