Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl question my @guesses=() difference between @guesses; Post 302126989 by hankooknara on Sunday 15th of July 2007 05:26:55 PM
Old 07-15-2007
In fact, I am gonna extend this question even longer,

Below is where this question came from... it is hangman perl program.

Code:
   #!/usr/bin/perl -w

@words=qw( internet answers printer program );
   @guesses=();
   $wrong=0;

$choice=$words[rand @words];
   $hangman="0-|--<";

@letters=split(//, $choice);
  @hangman=split(//, $hangman);
  @blankword=(0) x scalar(@letters);
  OUTER: 
      while ($wrong<@hangman) {
          foreach $i (0..$#letters) {
                  if ($blankword[$i]) {
                          print $blankword[$i];
                  } else {
                          print "-";
                  }
          }
          print "\n";
          if ($wrong) {
                  print @hangman[0..$wrong-1]
          }
          print "\n Your Guess: ";
          $guess=<STDIN>;  chomp $guess;
          foreach(@guesses) {
                  next OUTER if ($_ eq $guess);
          }
          $guesses[@guesses]=$guess;
          $right=0;
          for ($i=0; $i<@letters; $i++) {
                  if ($letters[$i] eq $guess) {
                          $blankword[$i]=$guess;
                          $right=1;
                  }
          }
          $wrong++ if (not $right);
          if (join('', @blankword) eq $choice) {
                  print "You got it right!\n";
                  exit;
          }
  }
  print "$hangman\nSorry, the word was $choice.\n";

where I really don't understand is below,

Say @letters = n o w,

and iterating over 0..$#letters would assign i to
$letters[0]=n
$letters[1]=o
$letters[2]=w

and @blankword was 0 0 0,

how is $blankword[$i] is one of n o w ???

Code:
      while ($wrong<@hangman) {
          foreach $i (0..$#letters) {
                  if ($blankword[$i]) {
                          print $blankword[$i];
                  } else {
                          print "-";
                  }
          }

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Difference in PERL

Hi I have a file which has start time as my first line and End time in last line start time: 23 May 2008 03:30:33 End time : 23 May 2008 04:30:00 I have to extract these two lines and find the time of execution for the script in PERl. Any help appreciated Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: usshell
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compute difference between 2 arrays perl

Hi, I have 2 arrays. I have to compute symmetric difference! @arr=qw(19205134 18630215 18453487 18416242 18338715 18227590 17698645); @arr1=qw(18227590 18053561 17698645 16966777); #The code which i used is this! @union = @isect = @diff = (); %union = %isect = (); %count =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl difference between dates

Hi, Is there any way I can get the difference between two dates in terms of days? I have used this method so far, but I cant format it in terms of days. @a=&DateCalc($date1,$date2,0); The o/p that I am getting is sort of like this: +0:0:0:4:0:0:0 I just want to get 4 days as an o/p.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Time Difference

I having probelm in time difference output using Delta_YMDHMS, using below start date and enddate I get -30days. Any idea how to fix this issue. output : 0,1,-30, 0,0,0 Thanks, Bataf use POSIX qw/strftime/; use Date::Calc qw(Delta_YMDHMS); use Time::Local; $start_date =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bataf
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between 2 arrays in perl

Hi, I have 2 arrays: @a=qw(19190289 18381856 12780546 10626296 9337410 8850557 7740161 8101063); @b=qw(18309897 17612870 10626296 16871843 7740161 19947571 18062861); $len=@a; print "<br> length of array1: $len<br>"; $len1=@b; print "<br> length of array2: $len1<br>"; The output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calc Time Difference in Perl

Hello, I am having hard time calculating the time differnce in the below sequence. I tried nested for loops but I can't get to work. Algorithm: find time difference between the first AVAIL and the next event just before AVAIL. 0 05/17/2010 09:33 AVAIL <-- 1 1 05/17/2010 09:32 UM ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bataf
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What difference does * make here ? (ls command question)

Solaris 10 (korn shell) I use -d option with ls command , when I want to suppress contents of the subdirectories being listed when listing all the directories and files in a directory. This is what man page says about -d option in ls command. -d If an argument is a directory,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

days difference perl

Hi I have the following issue. the headeer in the file contains as follows IMAHDR tsmdsl01 EMBS_DAT 20120911 20120911 233656S000000000000000 001 So the fifth field in the header is a string that represents the file arrival date.(20120911) yyyyMMDD I just need to compare... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : difference between two dates in years

hello folks, I have a requirement in which I have to calculate the difference of localdate(today's date) and the given(earlier) date and to check whether the difference is exactly a year or more than that(can be 1 year or 2 years or 3 years.. ) . Could anyone please let me know the logic... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date difference using perl

Hi All, I am using the below code to get the days difference between 2 dates ddate="05/31/2018" bdate="06/10/2018" diff=$(perl -e 'use Time::Local; my ($month1,$day1,$year1)=split /\W+/, $ENV{'ddate'}; my ($month2,$day2,$year2)=split /\W+/, $ENV{'bdate'}; my $time1 =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
5 Replies
british-english(5)						   Users' Manual						british-english(5)

NAME
british-english - a list of English words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/british-english is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
There may be any number of word lists in /usr/share/dict/. /etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to the currently-chosen /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default-wordlist(8) for more information, and/or to change the currently- chosen word list. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Word lists are collected and maintained by various authors. The Debian English word lists are built from the SCOWL (Spell- Checker Ori- ented Word Lists) package, whose upstream editor is Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>. Debian 16 June 2003 british-english(5)