Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sort / cut question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sort / cut question Post 302126867 by jim mcnamara on Friday 13th of July 2007 05:12:04 PM
Old 07-13-2007
Code:
awk '{ print $5, $1}' filename | sort -rn | \
     awk '
     { arr[$2]=$0 }      
     END { for ( item in arr) { print arr[item]}
     } ' filename > newfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Last,uniq, sort and cut

Using the last, uniq, sort and cut commands, determine how many times the different users have logged in. I know how to use the last command and cut command... i came up with last | cut -f1 -d" " | uniq i dont know if this is right, can someone please help me... thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jay1228
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

using cut command with sort

how to cut for pattern in the file and then count each occurance? say, each line has unique pattern and u want to grep but at last, you want to see how many of them occur? say, cut -d'\" -f15 filename | sort -? or.. do i need to use sed or something.. i need to count lets say how... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut question

#!/bin/bash echo "UserName PID Command" ps -ef > ps.temp grep '^\{2,3\}\{4\}' ps.temp > ps.temp2 cut -f1,2,8 ps.temp2 rm ps.temp* I am having some problems with the cut command. I only want to display the UID (field 1), PID(field 2), and Command(field 8). Right now the whole ps -ef... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: knc9233
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut Question

Hi, I have created a variable abc within my script which can have values as follows abc = Ram,Iam or it can be abc = Uam or it can be abc = Sam,Tam,Pam Basically it can have a max of 3 values , seperated by comma. I want to assign these 3 values to 3 different variables In case of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
2 Replies

5. Solaris

concatenate/sort/cut

I have the following requirement. 1. I have to concatenate the 10 fixed width files. 2. sort based on first 10 characters 3. after that i have remove first 10 chacters from the file. can you please tell me how to do it. Thanks in Advance Samba (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samba
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using the Sort, Cut, and Awk commands

Hello, I am trying, utilizing the few commands I know, to extract all records within my file that were generated in November of 2007. Each record within the file has a "date" field giving the month, day, and year (9-8-88). How do I extract those records to their own file? Once I extract... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: babbabooey
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with cut and sort

<B>andan100:Anders:Andersson:800101-1234:TNCCC_1:TDDB46 TDDB80:berbe101:Bertil:Bertilsson:800102-1234:TNCCC_1:TDDB46 TDDB80:The top is how it looks right now I want it t look like this under and I want it to be sorted. I have tried with cut -f -d studenter.txt and so on but it still doesnt work... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aannaann
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a combination of sort/cut/grep/awk/join/paste/sed

I have a file and need to only select users that have a shell of “/bin/bash” in the line using awk or sed please help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cut and sort

Please help. I have a file containing rows of information. The row needs to be broken down into blocks of 5 and then sorted. Example: 10381 1042010046 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dolph
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on cut

Korn Shell I have a file whose values are delimited using colon ( : ) $ cat test.txt hello:myde:temp:stiker $ cut -d: -f2,4 test.txt myde:stikerI want field 2 and field 4 to be returned but separated by a hyphen. The output should look like myde-stiker How can do this ? (without awk... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
11 Replies
GPE-QUESTION(1) 						   gpe-question 						   GPE-QUESTION(1)

NAME
gpe-question - GPE interface for asking questions from shell scripts. SYNOPSIS
gpe-question [---icon] name {--question "Question text"} {--buttons icon1:text1} [icon2:text2 ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page was written for the Debian(TM) distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. gpe-question provides dialogues to raise a question within the GPE Palmtop Environment with cancel and ok buttons. OPTIONS
--question STRING The question to ask the user via the dialogue. --buttons type:label The type and label of the button(s) to be shown. Repeat for additional buttons. EXAMPLES
gpe-question "test" --question "Do you want to check first?" --buttons YES:yes NO:no AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> for the Debian(TM) system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. AUTHOR
Moray Allen Author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007 Neil Williams Debian 1 January 16, 2007 GPE-QUESTION(1)