Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Script duplicate file names Post 302126468 by stumpyuk on Wednesday 11th of July 2007 02:25:23 PM
Old 07-11-2007
Thanks for the reply Shell_Life. It seems that your solution re-names each file in each directory, however, it still creates duplicate file names across directories. For instance, my first directory contains a file called 0000004.jpg...but so does my 10th and 13th directory. I can see from your code what it should be doing, it seems okay to me...I can't figure out why it isn't working as expected.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Processing extended ascii character file names in UNIX (BASH scipts)

Hi, I have a accentuated letter (ö) in a script for an Installer. It's a file name. This is not working and I'm told to try using the octal value for the extended ascii character. Does anyone no how to do this? If I had the word "filförval", can I just put in the value between the letters, like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peli
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to : Find duplicate number from file? with bash

Thanks AVKlinux (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some questions - renaming duplicate names

I have a file that looks like this 2 4 10 500 tim9 5 8 14 700 tim9 3 5 15 432 john1 1 4 12 999 ellen2 So basically what i want to do is fine duplicate names on column 5 and rename it with an extention (i.e. tim9_1 and tim9_2). so the output file will look like this 2 4 10 500 tim9_1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kylle345
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

duplicate index names renamed

Hello everyone ! Please have a minute and see if you know how to script this I have a file like this: "create table .... ... create index n112 on ... ... create table ... .... create index n113 on... ... create table ... create index n112 on ...! duplicate ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sotoc79
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the number of non-duplicate names recursively.

Hi, here comes another newbie question: How to find the number of non-duplicate names recursively? For example, my files are stored in the folders like: If I do find . -depth -name "*.txt" | wc -l This will gives out a result "4". One .txt file named "1.txt" in folder "1", and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash keep only duplicate lines in file

hello all in my bash script I have a file and I only want to keep the lines that appear twice in the file.Is there a way to do this? thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlm
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to append incremental numbers to the end of duplicate file names.

I'm currently working on a script that extracts files from a .zip, runs an sha1sum against them and then uses awk to pre-format them into zomething more readable thusly: Z 69 89e013b0d8aa2f9a79fcec4f2d71c6a469222c07 File1 Z 69 6c3aea28ce22b495e68e022a1578204a9de908ed File2 Z 69... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ethereal
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for printing folder names and their sizes

Good day, everyone! I'm very new to bash scripting. Our teacher gave us a task to create a script that basically does the same job the 'du' command does, with the difference that 'du' command gives an output in the form of <size> <folder name>and what we need is <folder name> <size>As for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: UncleIS
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Bash script for printing folder names and their sizes

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The task is to create a script that would reproduce the output of 'du' command, but in a different way: what 'du' does is: <size> <folder name>and what is needed is <folder name> <size>We need to show only 10 folders which are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UncleIS
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matching file in bash with variable file names but consisent prefixs

As part of a bash the below line strips off a numerical prefix from directory 1 to search for in directory 2. for file in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/comparison/missing/*.txt do file1=${file##*/} # Strip off directory getprefix=${file1%%_*.txt} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)