Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar'ing and regular expressions Post 302126128 by sirbrian on Tuesday 10th of July 2007 06:57:12 AM
Old 07-10-2007
tar'ing and regular expressions

Hi,

How do I tar all but a specific set of files in a directory? Is it possible to use regular expressions in the tar command? I want to tar all files except those beginning with D. I tried this

tar -cvf files.tar ^[^D]

but this didn't work. Anyone any ideas.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Error tar'ing files to tape

I'm trying to tar a bunch of files off to a tape, but for one specific file (it is fairly large, roughly 10Gb) I get the error: too large to archive Does tar have a limit of the size of file it can write off to tape? I'm using SunOS 5.8. Thanks! -Fred (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar'ing and zipping files

If I have a directory /directory1 and want to tar and zip everything in it into a file new_tar.tar.gz on disk (not tape) How can I do it? I tried tar -cv /new_tar.tar /directory1/* But I got an error: tar: /dev/rmt/0: No such device or address (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

How can i create a regular expression which can detect a new line charcter followed by a special character say * and replace these both by a string of zero length? Eg: Input File san.txt hello hi ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_hi
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hi, can anyone advise me how to shorten this: if || ; then I tried but it dosent seem to work, whats the correct way. Cheers (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack1981
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar-ing the correct directories

Hi all, my directory structure is as follows /a/b/c. I would like to tar the /a directory including the subdirectories b and c. i intend to use the command tar -cvfz a.tgz a/ My question is where do i execute the command? do i execute it at the '/' prompt or at '/a' prompt ? My concern at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Regular Expressions

Hi, below is a piece of code written by my predecessor at work. I'm kind of a newbie and am trying to figure out all the regular expressions in this piece of code. It is really a tough time for me to figure out all the regular expressions. Please shed some light on the regular expressions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Regular Expressions

Hi, In ksh, I am trying to compare folder names having -141- in it's name. e.g.: 4567-141-8098 should match this expression '*-141-*' but, -141-2354 should fail when compared with '*-141-*' simlarly, abc should fail when compared with '*-141-*' I tried multiple things but nevertheless,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jidsh
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

what elements does " /^/ " match? I did the test which indicates that it matches single lowercase character like 'a','b' etc. and '1','2' etc. But I really confused with that. Because, "/^abc/" matches strings like "abcedf" or "abcddddee". So, what does caret ^ really mean? Any response... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidHe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

Hi Ilove unix and alwyas trying to to learn unix,but i am weak in using regular expressions.can you please give me a littel brief discription that how can i understand them and how to use .your response could lead a great hand in my unix love. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj attri
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar-ing folders in a folder

How do I create individual tars of a all the directories in a directory? I have a directory called 'patients', each patient has a directory in the patients directory. I want to create tars such that each patient has their own tar file. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: HappyPhysicist
5 Replies
tar_append_file(3)						  C Library Calls						tar_append_file(3)

NAME
tar_append_file, tar_append_eof, tar_append_regfile - append data to tar archives SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> int tar_append_file(TAR *t, char *realname, char *savename); int tar_append_regfile(TAR *t, char *realname); int tar_append_eof(TAR *t); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The tar_append_file() function creates a tar file header block describing the file named by the realname argument, but with the encoded filename of savename. It then sets the current header associated with the TAR handle t to the newly created header block, and writes this block to the tar archive associated with t. If the file named by realname is a regular file (and is not encoded as a hard link), tar_append_file() will call tar_append_regfile() to append the contents of the file. The tar_append_regfile() function appends the contents of a regular file to the tar archive associated with t. Since this function is called by tar_append_file(), it should only be necessary for applications that construct and write the tar file header on their own. The tar_append_eof() function writes an EOF marker (two blocks of all zeros) to the tar file associated with t. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, these functions will return 0. On failure, they will return -1 and set errno to an appropriate value. ERRORS
The tar_append_*() functions will fail if: EINVAL Less than T_BLOCKSIZE bytes were written to the tar archive. EINVAL Less than T_BLOCKSIZE bytes were read from the realname file. They may also fail if any of the following functions fail: lstat(), malloc(), open(), read(), th_write(), or the write function for the file type associated with the TAR handle t. SEE ALSO
read(2), open(2), lstat(2), th_write(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 tar_append_file(3)