Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell script to run a few commands help! Post 302124916 by pbsrinivas on Tuesday 3rd of July 2007 07:04:24 AM
Old 07-03-2007
pg_dump bank > backup { This will overwrite the file if exists and creats if not exits }

u need not put any specfic check to delete if exists

and for mailing after finishing

just put this line at the end of ur run_script

echo "BackUp Done"| sendmail ur_id

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run unix commands in a new shell inside a shell script?

Hi , I am having one situation in which I need to run some simple unix commands after doing "chroot" command in a shell script. Which in turn creates a new shell. So scenario is that - I need to have one shell script which is ran as a part of crontab - in this shell script I need to do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkapil
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can I write script that lets me run shell commands?

Hello I want to make simple extension to vi , you know how you want to run some shell command you do ":! ls -l " , then you go out the vi the command executed and then you hit enter and you back to vi but now I want to be able to go out of vi and run several command outside of vi .. and in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a shell script from one host which connext to remote host and run the commands

I want to write a script which would run from one host say A and connect to other remote host B and then run rest of commands in that host. I tried connecting from A host to B with SSH but after connecting to host B it just getting me inside Host B command prompt. Rest of the script is not running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SN2009
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script to run the commands reading options from local file

I have to use shell script to run series of commands on another unix box by connecting through SSH and giving user credentials. For running commands on remote machine I have to use options reading from a local file. Process: Connecting to remote unix server <host1.ibm.com> through ssh Login: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsprout
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run multiple commands in $() without opening a new shell

The code below works, but takes too many lines and looks awkward: db2 "export to $filename of del select * from $table with ur"|tee -a $LOGFILE|awk '/Number of rows exported:/ {print $5}' > numrows.tmp numrows=$(cat numrows.tmp) rm numrows.tmp When I try the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akar_naveen
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run Shell Commands via HTML on a client machine

Hi guys, so, I have a server running an sqlite database which is accessed by many client machines working as hardware testers, whenever something fails and needs to be replaced the operator would have to enter the Serial Number of the part being replaced as well as some other data. and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sx3v1l_1n51de
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] run a shell who runs commands

Hi all. On X11 I'm on a shell ...shell_1 (/bin/bash). From here I want to open another shell window shell_2 who executes commands like "ls -l" or programs like ". /program"... so the "result" of commands shows in shell_2 window and not in shell_1. Is that possible ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerold
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to run commands in different terminals

hi, how to write shell script that runs different commands(like:ls,ps,ls-l) in differnt terminals(each command should run in different terminal). my main motive is to run different 'c' program exe's available in different locations in different terminals. thanks sai (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saidopdf
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Commands to run from shell script

Hi script> isumid 98765432 if i give above command in cmd prompt it is running the same thing if i give inside the shell script it is not working below is the code #!/bin/bash isumid 98765432 please give me a solution (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramrangasamy
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run Shell Commands after creating MYSQL Connection

Hi, I am trying to make a Shell Script using which I will update around 10K records in MySQL db each night. For that, I am currently doing the following command in FOR LOOP: mysql -D $MASTER_DB_NAME -h $MASTER_DB_HOST -u $MASTER_DB_USER -p$MASTER_DB_PASSWD -e "$SQL_Query" This command is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulmittal87
2 Replies
aliascheck(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3						     aliascheck(1)

NAME
aliascheck - check for existence of mail alias SYNOPSIS
aliascheck [--nopwd] name [alias-file] aliascheck --map [--case] name map-file aliascheck --qmail [--nopwd] name [alias-user] DESCRIPTION
aliascheck checks whether name is a valid email alias or a user in the password file. It converts name to lower-case before performing any of the checks. If the alias or user exists, aliascheck exits with status 0 and outputs what the address resolves to. If the alias does not exist, aliascheck exits with status 1. If aliascheck cannot determine the validity of name because of some system error, it exits with status 2. aliascheck can run in three different modes--sendmail alias mode (the default), sendmail map mode, and qmail mode. In sendmail alias mode the second argument, alias-file, is the name of the sendmail alias file, typically /etc/mail/aliases.db. If no second argument is supplied, aliascheck first checks for the existence of /etc/mail/aliases.db, then for the existence of /etc/aliases.db, then finally exits with status 2 if neither file exists. When an alias is found, aliascheck outputs the value of that alias in the alias database. When aliascheck is invoked with --map, it looks up name in map-file, which should be a database created with sendmail's makemap(8) utility. Note that maps have a slightly different and incompatible format from that of alias files. Use the --case argument to prevent name from being folded to lower-case before it is looked up in the database. Note that --map implies the --nopwd option. When aliascheck is given the argument --qmail, it runs in qmail mode. In this case, the second argument, alias-user, specifies the user under which qmail processes mail aliases. aliascheck will check this user's home directory for files named .qmail-XXX for various appropriate suffixes XXX. On success, it outputs the full pathname of the appropriate file. If aliascheck cannot find an alias, it also checks the password file, and exits 0 if it can find name there. If name is found, aliascheck also outputs name (in lower-case) to standard output before exiting. (This is useful for Mail Avenger, because asmtpd does not recognize users with invalid shells or UID 0, while MTAs typically do.) To suppress password file checking, supply the --nopwd argument to aliascheck. EXAMPLES
If you are using Mail Avenger in conjunction with a sendmail installation, you might want to put the following code in your /etc/avenger/unknown file to reject mail for unknown users who do not show up in the alias file. aliascheck "$RECIPIENT_LOCAL" /etc/mail/aliases.db > /dev/null case "$?" in 0) # Fall through to default checks ;; 1) reject unknown user ;; *) # Probably safest to do nothing, but could also # defer the mail with the following command: # #defer Temporary error processing alias file ;; esac If you have qmail instead of sendmail, assuming the qmail alias user is called "alias", you would change the first line in the previous example to: aliascheck --qmail "$RECIPIENT_LOCAL" alias > /dev/null FILES
/etc/avenger/unknown Mail Avenger rules for local email addresses that do not correspond to local users, or correspond to local users without valid shells, or local users with uid 0 (i.e., root). Note the location may be different if you set EtcDir in your asmtpd.conf file. /etc/mail/aliases.db /etc/aliases.db Default locations of sendmail alias file /etc/mail/virtusertable.db Default location of the sendmail virtual user table map, when this feature is in use. ~alias/.qmail-* Default locations of qmail alias files /etc/password System password file. (Note, however, that aliascheck uses the getpwnam function, and will thus be compatible with schemes such as NIS that do not keep all users in the local password file.) SEE ALSO
avenger(1), asmtpd.conf(5), makemap(8), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
aliascheck doesn't necessarily know how to parse the particular database format your sendmail installation uses for aliases. Make sure you test it before using it in an avenger script. In some sendmail installations, the alias database is not world readable, which can obviously prevent aliascheck from working properly if run under the wrong user identity (such as the AvengerUser). It is quite possible for aliascheck to return a system error (exit code 2), particularly if you run it while you are rebuilding a large alias database. (aliascheck checks for the existence of special key "@" in the database.) Make sure you differentiate between error code 1 (no user) and error code 2 (system error). aliascheck may not do the right thing if you installed qmail with conf-break set to a character other than "-". Remember that aliascheck does not read your qmail users/assign or users/cdb files--it only checks for .qmail files in the alias user's home directory. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 aliascheck(1)