Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mailx in shell script (KSH)
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Mailx in shell script (KSH) Post 302124475 by matrixmadhan on Sunday 1st of July 2007 06:08:29 AM
Old 07-01-2007
Am sure .. ( very much )

there had been so many thread and replies in this forum about using mailx, attachments, subject, CC ing, uuencode and pretty much all the details about using mailx in script.

Please use the search facility . Search + mailx Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to do mailx from shell script

Hi From within a shell script my mailx doesnt seem to work...can somebody tell me what is wrong... #!/bin/ksh #Script to verify wheather all databases listed are up and running #Script works with Oracle8 and above databases #Script has to be run by ./scriptname DBA=xiamin@unix.com echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx and awk- didn't find an answer KSH

Hi folks, My input file's content: You are line1 You are line2 You are line3 etc... I need to write a script that for every line, it will send an e-mail and the body will hold the line: Output(The e-mail that will be sent): First e-mail: To: aaa Subject: bbb Body:You are line1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellsd
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh : using mailx and attachments

Hi I want to use mailx command to send a message included more than one file. I tried to use uuencode in pipe but it could only generate one file. I would avoid using an archive file :p Thanks to read you. Mathieu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use mail,mailx command in Shell Script ?

Hi.. How can i use mailx,mail command in Shell Script. Suppose i gave a condition that x value is above 25 send a mail alert to abc@rediffmail.com. How can i do this? Regards Sollin (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sollin
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mailx on ksh revisited

I have read through all documents in FAQ and have run into an issue with sending an email with body message text and an email attachment. I have included what I have thus far and I can get the message body to send in the email to work only. I cannot understand the uuencode even after I read the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tekline
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx: concatenating strings for message body (KSH)

Hi all, Think this is a pretty simple problem, but I've been thinking about it for a few days. Let's say that I'm going to have to output the contents of a file as the body of a mailx message. I'll probably do this: cat <filename> | mailx <extra commands> However, how do I go about doing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockysfr
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read email using mailx in shell script or perl

Hello, I am new to mailx and perl and I need help. I need create a shell script to read the mails on the SUN server, then parse the subject line and message body of each email to extract particular data so that I can pass these data fields in as application parameters to invoke a java... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jliharper
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

what does this ksh shell script do?

Can someone tell me when the script is called, what does it do? I can't see it is going to run anything. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dp100022
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - mailx - Redirect the undelivered mail

Hi, I need to create one KSH which will send mail to set of recipients using "mailx" command like below. mailx -s "Test mail" "test@yahoo.com, test@gmail.com" <$output.txt The recipients are in different domains (like yahoo, gmail, etc.). My requirement is, if any mail is undelivered,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Matrix2682
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mailx command in unix shell script, its throwing below error

How to use Mailx command in unix shell script, its throwing below error #!/bin/ksh let x=3 If ; then mailx -s “ $x is greater than 2” example@gmail.com << EOF This is the message body EOF fi its throwing error as syntax error at EOF... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
10 Replies
uuencode(1)						      General Commands Manual						       uuencode(1)

NAME
uuencode, uudecode - encode/decode a binary file for transmission by mailer SYNOPSIS
[source_file] remotedest outfile] [encoded_file] DESCRIPTION
and can be used to send a binary file to another machine by means of such services as or (see elm(1), mailx(1), and uucp(1)). takes the named source file (default standard input) and produces an encoded version on the standard output. The encoding uses only print- ing ASCII characters, includes the original mode of the input file, and preserves the value of the remotedest argument which is the intended name of the file when it is restored later on the remote system. reads an encoded file (the encoded_file argument), ignores any leading and trailing lines added by mailers, and recreates the original file with the specified mode and name. The encoded file is an ordinary ASCII text file and can be edited with any text editor to change the mode or remote name. Options and Arguments recognizes the following command-line option: Encode the input file using the MIME Base64 algorithm. If is not specified, the historical algorithm encodes the input. recognizes the following command-line option and argument: Specifies the pathname of the file that holds the decoded output. This file is not the same as remotedest which was specified at the time of encoding the file. uuencode Base64 Algorithm The encoded file is a text file, encoded in the character set of the current locale (the portable character set). The file begins with the line: and ends with the line: Both of the above lines have no preceding or trailing blank characters. The encoding process represents each 24-bit group of input bits as output strings of four encoded characters. Proceeding from left to right, each 24-bit input group is formed by concatenating three 8-bit input groups. Each such 24-bit input group is then treated as four concatenated 6-bit groups, each of which would be translated into a single digit in the Base64 alphabet shown in the following table. Value Encoding Value Encoding Value Encoding Value Encoding ------------------------------------------------------------------ 0 A 17 R 34 i 51 z 1 B 18 S 35 j 52 0 2 C 19 T 36 k 53 1 3 D 20 U 37 l 54 2 4 E 21 V 38 m 55 3 5 F 22 W 39 n 56 4 6 G 23 X 40 o 57 5 7 H 24 Y 41 p 58 6 8 I 25 Z 42 q 59 7 9 J 26 a 43 r 60 8 10 K 27 b 44 s 61 9 11 L 28 c 45 t 62 + 12 M 29 d 46 u 63 / 13 N 30 e 47 v 14 O 31 f 48 w (pad) = 15 P 32 g 49 x 16 Q 33 h 50 y When encoding a bit stream via the Base64 encoding, the bit stream is presumed to be ordered with the most-significant bit first. That is, the first bit in the stream shall be the high-order bit in the first byte, and the eighth bit shall be the low-order bit in the first byte, and so on. Each line of the encoded output can have only 76 characters or less. If there are less than 24 bits available at the end of a message or encapsulated part of a message, zero bits are added (on the right) to form an integral number of 6-bit groups. Output character positions that are completely made of the padded zero bits are set to the equal character Because all Base64 input is an integral number of octets, only the following cases can arise at the end of an input bit stream: 1. If the final quantum of encoding input is an integral multiple of 24 bits, the final unit of encoded output is an integral multi- ple of 4 characters with no padding character. 2. If the final quantum of encoding input is exactly 16 bits, the final unit of encoded output is three characters followed by one padding character. 3. If the final quantum of encoding input is exactly 8 bits, the final unit of encoded output is two characters followed by two pad- ding characters. All line breaks and other non-Base64 characters are ignored by A terminating evaluates to nothing and denotes the end of the encoded data. uuencode Historical Algorithm The encoded file is a text file, encoded in the character set of the current locale (the portable character set). It begins with the line: and ends with the line: Both of the above lines have no preceding or trailing blank characters. This algorithm takes three octets as input and writes four characters of output by splitting the input at 6-bit intervals. The four 6-bit groups make four octets each of which contain data in the lower six bits only. These octets are converted to characters by adding a value of 0x20 to each octet, so that each octet is in the range [0x20,0x5f]. That is, it is assumed to represent a printable character in the ISO/IEC 646:1991 standard encoded character set. Each octet is then translated into the corresponding character code for the codeset in use in the current locale before writing the encoded output. When the bits of two octets are combined, the least significant bits of the first octet are shifted left and combined with the most signif- icant bits of the second octet shifted right. Thus the three octets A, B, C are converted into the following four octets: 0x20 + (( A >> 2 ) & 0x3F) 0x20 + (((A << 4) | ((B >> 4) & 0xF)) & 0x3F) 0x20 + (((B << 2) | ((C >> 6) & 0x3)) & 0x3F) 0x20 + (( C ) & 0x3F) These octets are then translated into the local character set. Each encoded line contains a length character, equal to the number of characters to be decoded plus 0x20 translated to the local character set as described above, followed by the encoded characters. Each line of the encoded output has only 45 characters or less. EXAMPLES
The following example encodes a file (using the historical algorithm) with as the intended name on the remote system and saves the output in Similarly, the following example uses the option to encode a file (using the MIME Base64 algorithm) with as the intended name on the remote system and saves the output in The following example shows how to encode and send a compiled program to user After receiving the mail message, user can decode the program to a file with the same name as the original file by first saving the message in a file and executing the command: Similarly, the user can also decode the program to a file named by first saving the message in a file and executing the command: WARNINGS
The file is expanded by 35% (three bytes become four plus control information) causing it to take longer to transmit. The user on the remote system who is invoking (often must have write permission for the specified file. If an encoded file has the same name as the destination name specified in it, starts overwriting the encoded file before decoding is com- pleted. SEE ALSO
elm(1), mail(1), mailx(1), shar(1), uucp(1), uux(1), uuencode(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
uuencode(1)