Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Difference between <stdin> & terminal Post 302124269 by bigearsbilly on Friday 29th of June 2007 09:01:06 AM
Old 06-29-2007
well,
terminal generally means from the keyboard
<stdin> can be from a piped in file or terminal etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

what is the difference between Unix & linux, what are the advantages & disadvantages

ehe may i know what are the difference between Unix & Linux, and what are the advantages of having Unix as well as disadvantages of having Unix or if u dun mind i am dumb do pls tell me what are the advantages as well as the disadvantages of having linux as well. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cybertechmkteo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between Unix & linux

:confused: Hi All Can anyone help me in finding the answer of the question mentioned below. What is the difference between Unix & linux ? Thanks in Advance to all CSaha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaha
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between ./ & . ./ ???

For executing a shell script, i know 2 ways: 1) using sh command 2) making the script file executable & then use ./ But i can across another way for executing the scripts... using ". ./" I tried this way.. but i was able to understand the difference between "./" and ". ./" I would be very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abishekmag
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between && and -a

I've come stuck when I was making sure the hour of the day was not been two times so that the rest of the script could not be executed. Seems simple enough. I used the -a to join the two conditions together and it would run if the conditions was t/f ( it is only supposed to run if was t/t).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spookyrtd99
3 Replies

5. Programming

C++ How to use pipe() & fork() with stdin and stdout to another program

Hi, Program A: uses pipe() I am able to read the stdout of PROGAM B (stdout got through system() command) into PROGRAM A using: * child -> dup2(fd, STDOUT_FILENO); -> execl("/path/PROGRAM B", "PROGRAM B", NULL); * parent -> char line; -> read(fd, line, 100); Question:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal.

I am trying to automate a SSH login using Keys using the following command ssh -i id_rsa usernamw@ipaddr. I am successful in doing this and i am getting the Warning Screen and I logon successfully. but when I am executing the command tail -1cf put.dat | ssh -i id_rsa username@ipaddr > get.dat ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Difference between sudo & RBAC

Hello Everybody I would like to know any major difference between sudo & RBAC as I am bit familiar with RBAC but not with sudo (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDERR to file & terminal using tee

Hi All, Solarix/Bash v3x Im trying to output any standard errors created by the script to a file using the below command: . runDTE.sh 2> "$DTE_ERROR_FILE" however the errors do get written to the dir/file stored in $DTE_ERROR_FILE but the error does not appear on the terminal screen in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between console and Terminal.

I see these terms used all the time with hardly any distinction between the two. Any clarification would be appreciated!:) I could only get emacs to open in console so I was also wondering what are the common applications to use in console.:wall: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between & and nohup &

Hi All, Can anyone please help me understanding what the difference between the below two? 1. script.sh & 2. nohup script.sh & (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies
MSET(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MSET(1)

NAME
mset - retrieve ASCII to IBM 3270 keyboard map SYNOPSIS
mset DESCRIPTION
Mset retrieves mapping information for the ASCII keyboard to IBM 3270 terminal special functions. Normally, these mappings are found in /usr/share/misc/map3270 (see map3270(5)). This information is used by the tn3270 command (see tn3270(1)). Mset can be used store the mapping information in the process environment in order to avoid scanning /usr/share/misc/map3270 each time tn3270 is invoked. To do this, place the following command in your .login file: set noglob; setenv MAP3270 "`mset`"; unset noglob Mset first determines the user's terminal type from the environment variable TERM. Normally mset then uses the file /usr/share/misc/map3270 to find the keyboard mapping for that terminal. However, if the environment variable MAP3270 exists and contains the entry for the specified terminal, then that definition is used. If the value of MAP3270 begins with a slash (`/') then it is assumed to be the full pathname of an alternate mapping file and that file is searched first. In any case, if the mapping for the terminal is not found in the environment, nor in an alternate map file, nor in the standard map file, then the same search is performed for an entry for a terminal type of unknown. If that search also fails, then a default mapping is used. FILES
/usr/share/misc/map3270 keyboard mapping for known terminals SEE ALSO
tn3270(1), map3270(5) BUGS
If the entry for the specific terminal exceeds 1024 bytes, csh(1) will fail to set the environment variable. Mset should probably detect this case and output the path to the map3270 file instead of the terminal entry. 4.3 Berkeley Distribution November 16, 1996 MSET(1)