Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Abbreviated text/text talk
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Abbreviated text/text talk Post 302123451 by Perderabo on Monday 25th of June 2007 06:52:57 PM
Old 06-25-2007
I agree with you on all of your points. People who use language like "ur" are in violation of the rules which state:
(9) Edit your posts if you see spelling or grammar errors (don't write in cyberchat or cyberpunk style). English only.

Many of our users have English as a second language and spellings like "ur" make things very difficult for them. Politeness is also required:

(2) No negative comments about others or impolite remarks. Be patient.

I also dislike threads with titles like "help". At least I assume that I dislike them. Over the past couple of years I have usually ignored threads like that. I have learned that when I dislike the title of a thread I am usually not going to like the content either.

I don't know what to make of the debugging skills that a few of our questioners seem to have. I wonder if they treat their automobile mechanics the same way... "Hey, I tried to drive to store, but my car could not complete the trip. What could cause that? And how can I fix that? Please respond quickly...this is urgent!"

My advice is to ignore threads that you don't like. I don't have enough time to help everyone who follows the rules and posts reasonable questions. So I don't want to waste time with people who won't follow the rules or spend a little time composing a reasonable question.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep text matching problem with script which checks if web page contains text.

I wrote a Bash script which checks to see if a text string exists on a web page and then sends me an email if it does (or does not e.g. "Out of stock"). I run it from my crontab, it's quite handy from time to time and I've been using it for a few years now. The script uses wget to download an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencon
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text between regexps and write into files based on a field in the text

Hi, I have a huge file that has data something like shown below: huge_file.txt start regexp Name=Name1 Title=Analyst Address=Address1 Department=Finance end regexp some text some text start regexp Name=Name2 Title=Controller Address=Address2 Department=Finance end regexp (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r3d3
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search String, Out matched text and input text for no match.

I need to search a string for some specific text which is no big deal using grep. My problem is when the search fails to find the text. I need to add text like "na" when my search does not match. I have tried this command but it does not work when I put the command in a loop in a bash script: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojojmac5
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to skip lines find text and add text based on number

I am trying to use awk skip each line with a ## or # and check each line after for STB= and if that value in greater than or = to 0.8, then at the end of line the text "STRAND BIAS" is written in else "GOOD". So in the file of 4 entries attached. awk tried: awk NR > "##"' "#" -F"STB="... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
xliff2oo(1)						      Translate Toolkit 1.9.0						       xliff2oo(1)

NAME
xliff2oo - convert XLIFF localization files to an OpenOffice.org (SDF) localization file SYNOPSIS
xliff2oo [--version] [-h|--help] [--manpage] [--progress PROGRESS] [--errorlevel ERRORLEVEL] [-i|--input] INPUT [-x|--exclude EXCLUDE] [-o|--output] OUTPUT [-t|--template TEMPLATE] [-l|--language LANG] [--source-language LANG] [-T|--keeptimestamp] [--nonrecursiveoutput] [--nonrecursivetemplate] [--skipsource] [--filteraction ACTION] [--fuzzy] [--nofuzzy] [--multifile MULTIFILESTYLE] OPTIONS
--version show program's version number and exit -h/--help show this help message and exit --manpage output a manpage based on the help --progress show progress as: dots, none, bar, names, verbose --errorlevel show errorlevel as: none, message, exception, traceback -i/--input read from INPUT in xlf, po, pot formats -x/--exclude exclude names matching EXCLUDE from input paths -o/--output write to OUTPUT in sdf, oo formats -t/--template read from TEMPLATE in sdf, oo formats -l/--language set target language code (e.g. af-ZA) [required] --source-language set source language code (default en-US) -T/--keeptimestamp don't change the timestamps of the strings --nonrecursiveoutput don't treat the output oo as a recursive store --nonrecursivetemplate don't treat the template oo as a recursive store --skipsource don't output the source language, but fallback to it where needed --filteraction action on pofilter failure: none (default), warn, exclude-serious, exclude-all --fuzzy use translations marked fuzzy --nofuzzy don't use translations marked fuzzy (default) --multifile how to split po/pot files (single, toplevel or onefile) Translate Toolkit 1.9.0 xliff2oo(1)