Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Networking issue with Fedora 5 Post 302123375 by Cameron on Monday 25th of June 2007 10:30:34 AM
Old 06-25-2007
Question Networking issue with Fedora 5

Hello all,

Am new to the linux game and have successfully installed FC5 onto an Acer Veriton 5100 series (P3) pc. Am having to install some RedHat servers in a few weeks running SAMBA, so I thought it would be a smart idea to start learning (well a similar OS) of how the package hangs together for when the hardware eventually arrives for the RedHat installs.

I've connected (cabled) it to my home router, but I've not yet been able to establish a connection to the LAN (or WAN).

The NIC adapter is built-in:: Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller.

Am very lost in knowing what to do from here to resolve.
Any help really appreciated.

Cheers,
Cameron

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Knoppix Live Networking Issue

So yeah, I have knoppix live and can't seem to set the devices on the network... I configured the IP, and the server sees it, I configured DNS and I can access some websites, and I still can't access the shared folders on the system. Did I miss something here? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Itsaboutme
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wierd networking issue

I have Debian Etch release as a fresh install on a PIII to be a router/firewall. I've configured networking, and utilized Shorewall to set up iptables scripting. I've installed dhcp3, both client and server, to pull an ip from my broadband cable modem, and dish out ip's to a switch for other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pflink
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Networking issue

Oh people of expert i have proplem related to networking i wanna setup a computer as a web server and giving that server a real ip address The details here as follows the location of that computer is a lab full of computers attached to local lan each lab is attached to a smart switch ( not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Fedora 11 installation issue

Hi, I have installed fedora 11 Alpha i386 in my desktop. After installation and reboot my pc I got error says : Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while... Found volume group "vg_group" using metadata type lvm2 2 logical volume(s) in volume group vg_group now active mount :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peac3
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

network connectivity issue between vista and fedora

Hi guys, I had two computer which is one with vista and other one with fedora and they are connected via one router. from vista to fedora is fine.. I can ping or connect via putty using Ip address but I couldn't connect putty using hostname/domain. If I typed in fedora the hostname,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peac3
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Fedora 9 issue

Hi, I have dual OS on my system. Have XP and fedora 9. i would like to access windows partition from linux. I know we get a RPM package for that. But I am not able to find. Please can some help me on this. As well if we have FAT file system on windows, will that OS be accessible on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prakash.kudreka
1 Replies

7. AIX

AIX Networking Issue

Hello, I'm trying to set up an internet connection on an IBM RS/6000 7043-140 machine with AIX v 5.1. The problem is that no matter if it is setup to receive an IP address from another DHCP server or has a static IP set, it seems to act as a DHCP server that assigns a random IP address with a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xsystem
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Fedora 16 (i686) DVD boot issue in x86 (32bit)

Hi, I'm using fedora for 5 years. recently i decided to install new version (16). after i reboot the computer and want to boot from dvd nothing happen's and system boot's from hard disk (i have setup the bios to directly boot from dvd-rom and my dvd-rom is ok). i have downloaded (again) fc16 dvd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ba$h
3 Replies

9. AIX

Networking Issue (Cant Ping the gateway)

Hi, I installed AIX 7.1 on a blade though (hmc with vio). I can ping the IP address, but not the gateway. Is there anything that I should configure? Is there anything that I have to check with vio setting or Am I missing any configuration? Please let me know further. Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
5 Replies

10. Fedora

Fedora 17 LVM Issue

Hello, I tried to add more space to my Volume Group in Fedora 17 and the process seems to have borked: LVM did not restart. I booted into partition manager and deleted the new parition but that seems to have compounded the problem. Now when I try and restore the Volume Group I get this message:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies
SMCINIT(8)							    Linux IrDA								SMCINIT(8)

NAME
smcinit - initialize the SMSC IrDA controler on various laptops SYNOPSIS
smcinit [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
Toshiba Satellite 1800, Satellite 5100, Tecra 9100 laptops and may be many other models are provided with a SMCS LPC47N227 SuperIO chip which is IrDA SIR/FIR capable. The IrDA subsystem of the SuperIO chip is supported by the smc-ircc Linux kernel module. Unfortunately the BIOS neither configurates the SuperIO chip IrDA subsystem (SIR port, FIR port, dma, irq, IrDA mode, power) nor sets the PCI-ISA bridge to decode any usable port. Linux kernel is thus prevented to detect the second UART making impossible to use it in SIR mode. For the same reason, the FIR mode smc-ircc is able to detect the SuperIO chip but, once found the IrDA subsystem unconfigured, fails to install. While this problem will be fixed in Linux 2.6.x kernel series, the 2.4.x users are frustrated. Daniele Peri, Rob Miller and Paul Hampson mananged to build little utilities that initialize the LPC47N227 SuperIO allowing smc-ircc IrDA kernel driver to detect and use the SMSC chip. My sole work was to put these utilities as one package, easy to install and use. OPTIONS
-V, --version Show program version and exit -h, --help Show a little help on options and exit -v, --verbose Increase the details about actions performed -t, --tty=device If specified, the serial device will be unbound from the kernel stock serial driver. It is there to replace an external call to setse- rial(1) to unset the UART of the device. There is no default value. -s, --sirio=IO Set the SIR (serial infrared) I/O port address to IO. Default value is 0x3f8. -f, --firio=IO Set the FIR (fast infrared) I/O port address to IO. Default value is 0x130. -i, --firirq=IRQ Set the FIR (fast infrared) IRQ line to IRQ. Default value is 3. -d, --firdma=DMA Set the FIR (fast infrared) DMA channel to DMA. Default value is 3. CONFIGURATION
When system startup a script is run from /etc/init.d and which run appropriate SMC intialization utility. This is done before PCMCIA startup because on Tecra 9100 and other models the orinoco_cs wireless driver will block the I/O region used 47N227 SuperIO. The only configuration file is /etc/sysconfig/smcinit and the variable SMCCONFIG can be set to "1800" or "5100". By default "5100" value is used. 1800 for Toshiba Satellite 1800 5100 for Toshiba Satellite 5100 and Toshiba Tecra 9100 The next step is to configure the kernel IrDA stack package to attach the smc-ircc driver. This is Linux distribution specific. The main thing is that the device should be set to "irda0". Run the following command: irattach irda0 -s Distribution specific configuration: SuSE Edit the /etc/sysconfig/irda and set IRDA_PORT=irda0 RedHat Edit the /etc/sysconfig/irda and set DEVICE=irda0 NOTES
The smc-ircc driver is preloaded in kernel. I tested the package only on Tecra 9100 without any additional step, but for Toshiba Satellite 1800 Daniele Peri sugest to put the following line in your /etc/modules.conf (on one line): options smc-ircc ircc_dma=3 ircc_irq=7 ircc_cfg=0x2e ircc_sir=0x2e8 ircc_fir=0x2f8 After that run the command: prompt# depmod -a If the laptop enter suspend mode, then resume operation the smc-ircc driver will stop working. You need to stop IrDA service, then SMCINIT, start SMCINIT, and finally start IrDA service. Simply put, the kernel driver must be unloaded, then reloaded. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/smcinit Configuration file for SMCINIT startup script. It's shell script. AUTHOR
This document is made by Claudiu Costin <claudiuc@kde.org> The utilities authors are Daniele Peri, Rob Miller and Paul Hampson. Thomas Pinz made improvements to tosh-smcinit (the former tosh5100-smcinit) to expand the number of Toshiba Satellite models supported. SEE ALSO
smcinit(7), tosh1800-smcinit(8), irattach(1), irdadump(1), http://irda.sourceforge.net/smcinit/ the SMCINIT package home page. 0.4 April 2004 SMCINIT(8)