Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 0x20 and such
Top Forums Programming 0x20 and such Post 302123272 by Octal on Monday 25th of June 2007 01:32:12 AM
Old 06-25-2007
0x20 and such

I'm looking at some code, and I'm seeing alot of things like 0x20, 0x60, 0x10, 0x0f, and 0x5f (just to name a few). I've seen really long ones, 0xb8000, and 0xc0000 to name two. What are these things called? I believe they are called 'bits'? How can I use them? Is this actually C, or does it something to do with assembly?

I might have more questions,
Octal.

GENCCODE(8)							 ICU 50.1.2 Manual						       GENCCODE(8)

NAME
genccode - generate C or platform specific assembly code from an ICU data file. SYNOPSIS
genccode [ -h, -?, --help ] [ -a, --assembly name ] [ -d, --destdir destination ] [ -n, --name name ] [ -e, --entrypoint name ] [ -f, --filename name ] [ filename ... ] DESCRIPTION
genccode reads each of the supplied filename and writes out a C file containing a compilable definition of the data in the data file. The C file name is made by taking the base name of the data filename, replacing dots by underscores, and adding a .c file extension. If the -a option is used, platform specific assembly code is generated instead of C code. Most C compilers will accept both C and assembly files. Instead of writing a filename with a .c file extension, a filename with a .s will be written instead. If genccode is called with no filename it terminates gracefully. OPTIONS
-h, -?, --help Print help about usage and exit. -a, --assembly name Output assembly code instead of C code. Use -h to see the list of available types of assembly to generate and to specify for this option. -d, --destdir destination Set the destination directory to destination. The default destination directory is the current directory. -n, --name name Set the data name to name instead of the default. This name is also used as the base name of the output. The default name is made of the icudt prefix, followed by a two-digit version number corresponding to the current version of the ICU release, and a single let- ter indicating the endianness of the data (the letter b indicated big endian data, and the letter l indicates little endian ones). -f, --filename name Normally, an ICU data file such as mydata.icu will be turned into mydata_icu.c and mydata_icu.o. However, if this parameter was set to "somedata", the output files will be somedata.o and somedata.c, respectively. -e, --entrypoint name Set the data entry point (used for linking against the data in a shared library form) to name. The default entry point name is made of the data (set by the -n, --name option) followed by an underscore and the type of the data (set by the -t, --type option). VERSION
50.1.2 COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2004 IBM, Inc. and others. ICU MANPAGE
11 March 2004 GENCCODE(8)