Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Is there a tutorial on how to create RAID 1 on top of lvm? Post 302123256 by porter on Sunday 24th of June 2007 10:27:33 PM
Old 06-24-2007
That's the wrong way round to build RAID.

The idea behind RAID is that it can survive disk failure. If you have a disk failure LVM may be trashed first so it can't find the segments that make up the parts of the volume. If RAID is directly on a disk and a few tracks get trashed, RAID can still step over those and recover data either side.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

RAID 1 + 0 with LVM

Hi, I am on Solaris 9. I have 4 disks that I want to mount in RAID 1+0 with LVM First I initialize the devices ; for example : metainit d102 c1t2d0s6 metainit d103 c1t3d0s6 metainit d104 c1t4d0s6 metainit d105 c1t5d0s6 then I make the mirrors : metainit d120 -m d102 metattach d120... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
7 Replies

2. Solaris

raid 5 using solaris 9 LVM

if i want to create a raid 5 device on 3 disks I have, can I make multiple metadevices? all the example i see on the internet make use of the slice 2 placing the entire disk into the raid5 device. what if i make 3 identical slices on each disk, and make 3 raid 5 metadevices? will that work? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

create /var lvm during install

Hi All, How do I create /var as LVM type during install? I want my new OS to have /var as LVM so that I could extend it on the fly. Thanks for any comment you may add. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition management: lvm? fdisk? parted? (on RAID)

Hello, I have a RHEL system with two 500GB hard drives in RAID 1 (I think hardware, but not 100% certain - any way to tell?). It looks like it was just set up in default configuration with a small boot partition and one huge partition for the rest, which composes a LVM volume. I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: builder88
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris LVM Raid 0+1

Hi, I tried to setup a Riad 0+1 but I found no step by step manual to follow so I tried on my own ;) I'd already configured a mirror for the OS on my Solaris machines so I had an idea where to start. I have 9 drives in the server. 1. I configured the first two as a mirror for the OS. 2. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RoiDanton
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Create volume using LVM over 2 physical disks

I wanted to know how we can combine volumes over 2 physical drives. # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 42.9 GB, 42949672960 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 5221 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sda1 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikn3
16 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create LVM snapshots?

Please suggest me how do I create LVM snapshots in linux. Best regards, Vishal (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
5 Replies

10. Linux

Centos 7.2 Convert single LVM to RAID Mirror Reinstall BootLoader

Hello, I am trying to convert a single-drive Centos 7.2 installation with LVM into a two-disk mdadm mirror with mrrored LVM. I was able to follow the excellent instructions at: http://www.dgoradia.com/creating-a-raid1-mirrored-on-an-existing-centos-on-lvm/and did create a two-disk mirror... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
1 Replies
IIR(4)                                                     BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                                                     IIR(4)

NAME
iir -- Intel Integrated RAID controller and ICP Vortex driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device pci device scbus device iir Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): iir_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The iir driver claims to interface with the Intel integrated RAID controller cards, and all versions of the ICP Vortex controllers (including FC). HARDWARE
Controllers supported by the iir driver include: o Intel RAID Controller SRCMR o Intel Server RAID Controller U3-l (SRCU31a) o Intel Server RAID Controller U3-1L (SRCU31La) o Intel Server RAID Controller U3-2 (SRCU32) o All past and future releases of Intel and ICP RAID Controllers. o Intel RAID Controller SRCU21 (discontinued) o Intel RAID Controller SRCU31 (older revision, not compatible) o Intel RAID Controller SRCU31L (older revision, not compatible) The SRCU31 and SRCU31L can be updated via a firmware update available from Intel. SEE ALSO
cam(4), pass(4), xpt(4), camcontrol(8) AUTHORS
The iir driver is supported and maintained by Achim Leubner <Achim_Leubner@adaptec.com>. This manual page was written by Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org> and is based on information supplied by the driver authors and the website of Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>. BSD August 8, 2004 BSD