Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Manipulating a text file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Manipulating a text file Post 302123131 by komalkg on Saturday 23rd of June 2007 12:19:46 PM
Old 06-23-2007
wow!!!

u mean its this simple.. thank u so much... Smilie
just one query.. would this command automatically read each line and identify if the line starts with REC- or INV-

and secondly "file" is the filename right..

Last edited by komalkg; 06-23-2007 at 01:26 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Manipulating output file

I have a file containing two fields, Name and Time, with about 57 lines in this file. I am struggling to create a loop that will cut out the first ten lines of this file and echo it to the screen. Can anybody help me please. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mariner
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Manipulating File

Help...please. I have a log that contains Warning Authentication Failed: User GHDT88998HS doesn't exit: The User GHDT88998HS could not be found Mar 22, 2008 5:22:22AM com.hometel.ttm.auth.userlogin. about maybe a thousand entries failed user acct message How can I grab just the username... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rivendell500
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help!! manipulating file

Hi all, I need help manipulating the file below. Here is what I needed to do. First, I have to replace INSUPD to DELETE. Then I need to change the content of the file around by flipping the contents in the file from the bottom to the top (start from "CMD") How should I attack this? Here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirrtuan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh: manipulating text files - please help!

Hi All, I am trying to manipulate a text file in a csh script I am writing. I just started scripting a few months ago and have NO idea how to get this to work. My ultimate goal is to turn a text file that looks like this: 4 ep2d_diff_mddw_20_p2-MOD err 128 128 64 62 52611737 2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Torinator
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a file and manipulating the contents

Hi I have a text file as follows BOB 14/14 TOM 94/94 SAM 3/3 CRIS 13/13 TOM 6/6 CRIS 27/27 SAM 2/2 JACK 25/25 CRIS (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellignorant
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating the etc/passwd file with sed

How can i use sed to extract the user name and home directory from the /etc/passwd/ file on my server. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauline mugisha
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating a file

Hi everybody, I need an urgent help with a BASH script. I have file which contains (besides the other data) the lines with the following structure identified by with keyword PCList: <PARAMETER NAME="PCList" TYPE="LIST_STRUCTURE" MODEL="{,}" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameucho
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating csv file

We need to convert a field in a csv file which is in cents to dollars.(divide by 100) in our shell script. Can some body help me? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepthz
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help on manipulating a file

Hi, I need a shell/command to achieve this task. I've a delimited unloaded file from oracle in a scrambled format as shown below with many blank lines in it, I'm just trying to tailor it in a format that would be compatible to view and load it to a IDS db. Here is the problem ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: divak
1 Replies

10. Programming

Python for text manipulating

Dear All, I am trying to write a python code for reading a fixed number of lines from a big file then save those pieces into another file as columns. I think sample file is necessary for understanding: Sample Input file: Epi. dist.(km)= 0.8100E+02 0.7466E-07 0.4942E-07 0.7133E-07 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: johankor
10 Replies
crashdc(8)						      System Manager's Manual							crashdc(8)

NAME
crashdc - Diagnostic data collection for a running or crashed system SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/crashdc [system-kernel] [core-image] DESCRIPTION
The crashdc utility examines the core image of the operating system to extract critical diagnostic data. This utility is a shell script that invokes several tools and commands that extract selected parameters of a running or a crashed system (for example, system configura- tion, running processes, and panic messages). The arguments to the crashdc utility are the system kernel and the core image. The default values are /vmunix and /dev/mem, respectively. If you specify no arguments, the crashdc utility examines the running system. The system usually invokes the crashdc utility during system startup. If the most recent core dump has been saved by the savecore command, both the core image and the system kernel (respectively vmcore.n and vmunix.n, where the variable n is the crash number) are saved in the crash directory (by default, /var/adm/crash). Also, the crashdc utility saves the output as the file crash-data.n (where the variable n is the crash number) in the crash directory. The crashdc utility is invoked only if crash-data.n output in the crash directory does not exist or is not from the most recent crash. FILES
Default core image Default system image Output from crashdc SEE ALSO
Commands: dbx(1), kdbx(8), savecore(8) crashdc(8)