Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Problem with HPUX as NIS-Client Post 302122129 by qfwfq on Tuesday 19th of June 2007 09:13:35 AM
Old 06-19-2007
The fact that you have a /tcb directory structures usually indicates that this system is trusted. Also look at the password file, if there is no password and you see a * sign, then the system is trusted system or the shadow password depot is installed and activated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Unregietred a nis+ client

Hi, How can I unregistered a nis+ client. I want it works without nis+. Bests regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omainfroy
2 Replies

2. AIX

Use AIX as NIS client

Hi everyone. Has anyone here used AIX as a NIS client to a Linux server? If have configured this setup and cant get it to work. I have verifyed that the NIS server is working since other machines are able to connect to it and users to log in on other clients. On the AIX machine the users are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprellari
0 Replies

3. AIX

AIX NIS client

All, I have just started using AIX (Solaris admin here) and I need to setup my new AIX box as an NIS client. Where would I do this? Thanks for the help! -Kevin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to configure a NIS client bound to the NIS server in another subnet?

Hi, all. I have a Solaris client here needs to bind to NIS server in another subnet. Following is the configuration i made on the client, 1) edit /etc/inet/hosts to add an entry of the NIS server -- nserver01 2) execute `domainname` to set local NIS domain to the domain of the NIS server.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sn_wukong
1 Replies

5. Solaris

NIS - Client Not loggin in

Friends n Gurus I am creating an NIS farm(Solaris only) in my office. I have successfully configured the NIS master and slave servers and a few NIS clients. However i am not able to log into a few of my NIS clients. The commands "ypcat passwd" is displaying the NIS user. However when i try to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
5 Replies

6. Solaris

NIS Client issues

Hey All! Today I am getting an error with my NIS client From what I understand, my server is running properly... on my client side.. online 2:01:12 svc:/network/nis/client:default # ps -ef |grep ypbind root 2745 1 0 02:01:12 ? 0:00... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
12 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 10 NIS Client

Hi all, Recently i have implemented NIS functionality in solaris 10 and i have created server and client with user in server side by giving useradd -d /export/home/user1 -m -s /bin/sh user1 after that I went to /var/yp dir and give /usr/ccs/bin/make so that it will refelect to client... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: esungoe
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Problem with NIS client

Hi All, In my network infra, there is a NIS master server and many more NIS slave servers. Now, I want every client to set with master server and one possible slave server so that if master goes down, client could still get info from slave server. The servers will be listed on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with NIS client

Hi All, I have a new server on the network, I did configure the NIS. ypwhich is working and ypcat all are working. But when I log in as me, home directory is not coming up. I looked at other servers we have at work to see what's under /etc/fstab. I don't see anything for home directory. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

NIS Master and Client problem

I have a NIS Master server and NIS Clients. But when I started the service all the process and files that should be owne by root apper by the owner 0 This is an example 0 1709 1708 0 10:06:10 ? 0:00 /usr/sbin/nfsd 4 0 1710 1709 0 10:06:10 ? 0:00 /usr/sbin/nfsd 4 0 1708 1 0 10:06:10 ? 0:00... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCSG
2 Replies
getspent(3C)															      getspent(3C)

NAME
getspnam(), getspnam_r(), getspent(), setspent(), endspent(), fgetspent() - access shadow password entries SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The routines and return a pointer to a shadow password entry. Each shadow password entry is an structure, declared in the header file, with the following members: The routine returns a pointer to a structure containing an entry from the shadow password database with a matching The routine is similar to except that it does not work on systems which have been converted to trusted mode, and it has three extra parame- ters. updates the structure pointed to by and returns a pointer to that structure. Storage referenced by the structure pointed to by is allocated from the memory provided with the parameter, which is in size. A buffer length of 2048 is recommended. The initial call to returns a pointer to the first structure. Subsequent calls return pointers to successive structures. Repeated calls to can be used to search all entries in the password database. The routine searches password entries from beginning to end, until a login name matching name is found, and returns a pointer to that entry. The routine is used to reset access to the shadow password entries. After is called, the subsequent call to returns the first shadow pass- word entry. This mechanism is used to allow repeated searches of the shadow password entries. The routine is used to indicate that process- ing of password entries is complete. unlike the other functions above, does not use and does not access NIS. It returns a pointer to the next structure in the standard I/O stream. The I/O stream should be open for reading and its contents should match the format of Notes Shadow password entries normally reside in However, there are two exceptions to this. On a standard system with no file, the password and aging information is obtained from and translated into an structure. If the system has been converted to a trusted system, the password and aging information is obtained from the Protected Password Database and translated into an structure. If the fields corresponding to or are not specified in the entry, they default to If the returned value of or is then the feature associ- ated with that field is considered to be disabled. The routines and depend on the configuration of the file. See nsswitch.conf(4). Entries may reside in any repository specified in These routines use the switch for the database; for example, an entry in would contain Programs using these routines must be compiled with APPLICATION USAGE
In a multithreaded application on standard systems, and are thread-safe, but not async-cancel-safe. A cancellation point may occur when a thread is executing any of these interfaces. On systems which have been converted to trusted mode, only is thread-safe. RETURN VALUE
If an EOF or error is encountered while reading, and return a pointer. Otherwise, the return value points to a valid structure. In the case of and the structure resides in an internal area. In the case of the structure resides in the structure pointed to by the argument. WARNINGS
HP-UX 11i Version 3 is the last release to support trusted systems functionality. FILES
system password file. shadow password file. protected password database, for trusted systems. SEE ALSO
getpwent(3C), getprpwent(3), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), shadow(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
: SVID3 getspent(3C)