Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: append file with tar command
Operating Systems AIX append file with tar command Post 302121509 by infierno on Friday 15th of June 2007 04:36:28 PM
Old 06-15-2007
to append content into an existing tar file or tape you should try the "r" option. At your own risk!

tar rf <tar file or device> file_to_append

Code:
       r       The named files are written on the end  of  the	tape.	The  c
	       function implies this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress the file using Tar command

Hi, When i am tar the file particular ,csv file format in a folder i am receiving the error Command: tar cf New_data.tar /new/file/mari/getdata/small/*.xml Arguements too long But sometimes i am able to compress other folder but the tar folder contains all the file format and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: marivinay
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with tar --append command output redirection

I am using tar command to append daily database backups on tape. "tar --append " command help me to do this. But tar --append command does not produce any output on stdout if it succeed. I want the output for that appended command to a log file. This log file should contain only the name of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pganguly46
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to run .tar file

How to install a file in unix with an extension .tar? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manisham
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append files to a existing tar file.

Hi all, I want to check whether tar file exists in the directory or not. If tar file exists in the directory then I want to append the files to it. I am using the below command to tar files if the file does not exist. tar zcvf <tar file name> <Files to append> However, if want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a file from ls -l command and append additional info to results

I need to be able to take the results from ls -l command and modify the output as follows: I will run ls -l *.mak My results will be aa.mak bb.mak cc.mak I then need to take those results and create a file that has the following info: dsjj/ubin/aa dsjj/ubin/bb dsjj/ubin/cc ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append command and strings to a text file

hi gurus, I'm executing some commands and I want to append both the command and output to a text file. Example: echo "strings -a wicmex.o|grep '$Header'" >> tmp.txt strings -a wicmex.o|grep '$Header' >> tmp.txt echo "strings -a libwip.a|grep '$Header'" >> tmp.txt strings -a libwip.a|grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donisback
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append files (backup .tar)

Hi all, I have to write a script which will keep for a particular user (username is first argument) backups of the account area to another. The script should accept as the second argument is a directory (or file), create one by storing a copy of the argument (using tar) and copies it to the list... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter20
0 Replies
TP(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TP(1)

NAME
tp - manipulate tape archive SYNOPSIS
tp [ key ] [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tp saves and restores files on DECtape or magtape. Its actions are controlled by the key argument. The key is a string of characters con- taining at most one function letter and possibly one or more function modifiers. Other arguments to the command are file or directory names specifying which files are to be dumped, restored, or listed. In all cases, appearance of a directory name refers to the files and (recursively) subdirectories of that directory. The function portion of the key is specified by one of the following letters: r The named files are written on the tape. If files with the same names already exist, they are replaced. `Same' is determined by string comparison, so `./abc' can never be the same as `/usr/dmr/abc' even if `/usr/dmr' is the current directory. If no file argument is given, `.' is the default. u updates the tape. u is like r, but a file is replaced only if its modification date is later than the date stored on the tape; that is to say, if it has changed since it was dumped. u is the default command if none is given. d deletes the named files from the tape. At least one name argument must be given. This function is not permitted on magtapes. x extracts the named files from the tape to the file system. The owner and mode are restored. If no file argument is given, the entire contents of the tape are extracted. t lists the names of the specified files. If no file argument is given, the entire contents of the tape is listed. The following characters may be used in addition to the letter which selects the function desired. m Specifies magtape as opposed to DECtape. 0,...,7 This modifier selects the drive on which the tape is mounted. For DECtape, x is default; for magtape `0' is the default. v Normally tp does its work silently. The v (verbose) option causes it to type the name of each file it treats preceded by the function letter. With the t function, v gives more information about the tape entries than just the name. c means a fresh dump is being created; the tape directory is cleared before beginning. Usable only with r and u. This option is assumed with magtape since it is impossible to selectively overwrite magtape. i Errors reading and writing the tape are noted, but no action is taken. Normally, errors cause a return to the command level. f Use the first named file, rather than a tape, as the archive. This option is known to work only with x. w causes tp to pause before treating each file, type the indicative letter and the file name (as with v) and await the user's response. Response y means `yes', so the file is treated. Null response means `no', and the file does not take part in whatever is being done. Response x means `exit'; the tp command terminates immediately. In the x function, files previously asked about have been extracted already. With r, u, and d no change has been made to the tape. FILES
/dev/tap? /dev/mt? SEE ALSO
ar(1), tar(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Several; the non-obvious one is `Phase error', which means the file changed after it was selected for dumping but before it was dumped. BUGS
A single file with several links to it is treated like several files. Binary-coded control information makes magnetic tapes written by tp difficult to carry to other machines; tar(1) avoids the problem. deprecated TP(1)