Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to solve restarting problem Post 302121338 by porter on Wednesday 13th of June 2007 07:48:50 AM
Old 06-13-2007
This can happen when

(a) start up scripts are screwed

(b) required volumes cannot be mounted

I suggest

1. you boot it in single-user mode and try and mount every volume in /etc/fstab or it's equivalent.

This may require doing fsck on each volume.

2. do a back up of the system.

3. try and guide it into multiuser mode step by step, this may require going through /etc/inittab with a fine tooth comb and confirm everything works.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How can I solve this problem?

I'm now designing a server application which can serve large number of clients' request. I've a question to ask, that is, main process will block when invoke the "accept" function, if a client request comes, main process should be separated into 2 processes by invoking "fork" function, the parent... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acqy
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can't solve that problem [PLEASE HELP]

well, my internet brakes down every day because of my server, i don't have troubles with RAM or anything i think... that problem started since i am running an unrealircd server... well, my internet brakes down and when i try to access the inside ip from the server on http port 80, it says that:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AiRkO
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron restarting problem

Hi I have a script on Solaris 5.6 to restart cron /etc/init.d/cron. I have trouble restarting cron. It's all beacuse of the line: pid=`/usr/bin/ps -e | /usr/bin/grep cron | /usr/bin/sed -e 's/^ *//' -e 's/ .*//'` which returns not null. This is because of the system return two process which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
4 Replies

4. Programming

Can any one solve this Problem...!!!

Try to solve this.....It's a nice program..... #include<stdio.h> void change() { /*Write something in this function so that the output of printf in main function should give 5 . Do not change the main function */ } void main() { int i=5; change(); (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Baba B. Saheb
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

use two unix commands to solve the following problem

Hi, all, The following commands could compute the 10 most frequent bigrams from a input sequence which is in a file infile. I would like to know whether there is somebody who can use only two unix commands to do the same work. -------------------- tr " " "\012*" <infile >out1 tail +2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vicky20000
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how would you solve this problem?

I have a file process.txt I wanted to just grab data in "process" column. Name process process_id status Adminserver adminserver 22669 Running Browser Engine browserengine ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: soemac
7 Replies

7. AIX

Problem with IP address when restarting AIX

Hi! I have useud SMIT to configured my static adress for AIX but when I restart the AIX the ipadress is not shown when I print netstat -in or ifconfig -a. I have to configure the ip whit smit to have it start! How can I starting the ip during boot? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.olofsson
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unknown Problem. I really want your help to solve this!

Take a look on this code: #!/bin/sh currentpath=`pwd` if ; then #Normal user if ; then "$currentpath"/.cleaner else ./runit fi else #Root user if ; then rm -r /some fi mkdir /some cd /home/ echo "`ls --group-directories-first -1`" > /some/allusers cat /some/allusers | sed 's/... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me solve this scripting problem please

Hello, I would really appreciate some help into approaching this problem: - i have a random txt file with x lines and y rows following this pattern: ex: ip1 | user1 | command ip2 | user2 | command ip3 | user3 | command - i need to telnet/ssh into these ip's, login with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalinstk
7 Replies
vx_emerg_start(1M)														vx_emerg_start(1M)

NAME
vx_emerg_start - start Veritas Volume Manager from recovery media SYNOPSIS
vx_emerg_start [-m] [-r root_daname] hostname DESCRIPTION
The vx_emerg_start utility can be used to start Veritas Volume Manager (VxVM) when a system is booted from alternate media, or when a sys- tem has been booted into Maintenance Mode Boot (MMB) mode. This allows a rootable VxVM configuration to be repaired in the event of a cat- astrophic failure. vx_emerg_start verifies that the /etc/vx/volboot file exists, and checks the command-line arguments against the contents of this file. OPTIONS
-m Mounts the root file system contained on the rootvol volume after VxVM has been started. Prior to being mounted, the rootvol volume is started and fsck is run on the root file system. -r root_daname Specifies the disk access name of one of the members of the root disk group that is to be imported. This option can be used to spec- ify the appropriate root disk group when multiple generations of the same root disk group exist on the system under repair. If this option is not specified, the desired root disk group may not be imported if multiple disk groups with the same name exist on the sys- tem, and if one of these disk groups has a more recent timestamp. ARGUMENTS
hostname Specifies the system name (nodename) of the host system being repaired. This name is used to allow the desired root disk group to be imported. It must match the name of the system being repaired, as it is unlikely to be recorded on the recovery media from which you booted the system. NOTES
HP-UX Maintenance Mode Boot (MMB) is intended for recovery from catastrophic failures that have prevented the target machine from booting. If a VxVM root volume is mirrored, only one mirror is active when the system is in MMB mode. Any writes that are made to the root file sys- tem in this mode can corrupt this file system when both mirrors are subsequently configured. The vx_emerg_start script allows VxVM to be started while a system is in MMB mode, and marks the non-boot mirror plexes as stale. This prevents corruption of the root volume or file system by forcing a subsequent recovery from the boot mirror to the non-boot mirrors to take place. USAGE
After VxVM has been started, various recovery options can be performed depending on the nature of the problem. It is recommended that you use the vxprint command to determine the state of the configuration. One common problem is when all the plexes of the root disk are stale as shown in the following sample output from vxprint: v rootvol root DISABLED 393216 - ACTIVE - pl rootvol-01 rootvol DISABLED 393216 - STALE - sd rootdisk01-02 rootvol-01 ENABLED 393216 0 - - pl rootvol-02 rootvol DISABLED 393216 - STALE - pl rootvol-02 rootvol DISABLED 393216 - STALE - sd rootdisk02-02 rootvol-02 ENABLED 393216 0 - - In this case, the volume can usually be repaired by using the vxvol command as shown here: vxvol -g 4.1ROOT -f start rootvol If the volume is mirrored, it is put in read-write-back recovery mode. As the command is run in the foreground, it does not exit until the recovery is complete. It is then recommended that you run fsck on the root file system, and mount it, before attempting to reboot the sys- tem: fsck -F vxfs -o full /dev/vx/rdsk/4.1ROOT/rootvol mkdir /tmp_mnt mount -F vxfs /dev/vx/dsk/4.1ROOT/rootvol /tmp_mnt SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), mkdir(1M), mount(1M), vxintro(1M), vxprint(1M), vxvol(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vx_emerg_start(1M)