Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Confusion over a small conditional script Post 302121318 by amit4g on Wednesday 13th of June 2007 05:21:00 AM
Old 06-13-2007
Confusion over a small conditional script

Hi,

I was going through a file containing hundreds of lines of codes having conditional statement written as:

log()
{
echo $@
}

num=$(/usr/bin/rsh <one_machine> -l root 'ls -d /home/user/db* 2> /dev/null' | wc -w)
(( num > 0 )) && log "db info:"

so,if here the return value(stored in variable "num" is greater than 0) then
"db info"will be echoed on the screen.
But if i need to do more commands execution if the return value is > 0 then how can i add more statements here.

In past i've used something like this:
num=$(/usr/bin/rsh <one_machine> -l root 'ls -d /home/user/db* 2> /dev/null' | wc -w)
if [ "$num" -gt "0" ]; then
statement 1
statement 2

statement N
fi

but how this can be used here ?

~amit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in a small script

Hi all, I have a file of the following format - EXPRPT:SCN:1.1706E+10:SEQ_START:121652:SEQ_END:121664:0 ( This file name is variable and changes daily) Now in the same directory I have another set of files of the format - EXPRPT.log.0001.0000121669 Now what I am trying to do is to ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: super_duper_guy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

small script help

here is a small script: if ; then echo please enter an argument fi if [ "$1" = "tom"; then a=$1 echo $a fi here is my question. if the script name is j.sh and I run it : j.sh from shell prompt: without a parameter: it prints please enter an argument but if I go with . j.sh (current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkl1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional Date Script

I am learning Unix for the first time. I am playing around with my default profile file to add some script in the KSH. The time format is GMT and I am in eastern time zone. I am trying to script some greetings based upon the time of day using the IF/ELIF conditions. I am getting errors. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpd259
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

small script

Hi, I am new to unix shell scripting. I just want a little script to check the no. of processes are equal to 8, then echo a successful message otherwise echo a unsuccessful message. Please help. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: everurs789
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with small script

Hi I have the below file Name=abc Yr=2011 Mon=05 My script should be in such a way that whenever I run it then Month should increment by 1 and if the month is 12 then when I run the script then year should incremented by 1 and month Should become 01(I.e jan) Thanks for the help in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishu
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

conditional confusion

Hell Unix.com Community: I am working on a personal project using yad v0.12.4 (zenity fork) and have hit a wall on how to show a progress bar while my function is processing. I have been all over the ABS Guide, googled 21 Linux-specific sites that I revere. I even asked on the yad-common... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If Then ElseIf Script - Confusion Around Expression's Syntax

Hello, I am relatively new to UNIX scripting and am learning a lot. I have already tried several searches on this website and have tried various syntax options suggested to no avail. I am obviously not writing the script correctly. I really do appreciate any and all the help. Below is an... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dqrgk0
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron confusion - scheduling a script

I have a script that backs up a directory, creates a log file and mails the log file to us. find . -print | backup -ivqf/dev/rmt0 | tee backup.log cat backup.log|mail -v -s "Tape backup log" maillist This script works fine from the console. When I schedule it in cron, I never get the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landog
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional Execution of a Script.

I have a unix shell script Test.sh more Test.sh echo "Calling dbquery1.sh...." ./dbquery1.sh echo "Calling dbquery2.sh...." ./dbquery2.sh more dbquery1.sh sqlplus -s user1/password1@DB_SID @/tmp/storedprocedures/Hello.rcp I run Test.sh However, I do not want dbquery2.sh to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conditional Script

Hi, I have a script file which has some simple commands. I want these commands to be executed based on the input. Ia m good with IF statement also. At the end it has to be based on incoming value. Example CASE 1 : Execute some commands where Input value as 1 CASE 2 : Execute... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrupatel
5 Replies
nislog(1M)						  System Administration Commands						nislog(1M)

NAME
nislog - display the contents of the NIS+ transaction log SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/nislog [-h num | -t num] [-v] [directory...] DESCRIPTION
nislog displays the contents of the NIS+ server transaction log on the standard output. This command can be used to track changes in the namespace. The /var/nis/trans.log file contains the transaction log maintained by the NIS+ server. When updates occur, they are logged to this file and then propagated to replicas as log transactions. When the log is checkpointed, updates that have been propagated to the replicas are removed. The nislog command can only be run on an NIS+ server by superuser. It displays the log entries for that server only. If directory is not specified, the entire log is searched. Otherwise, only those logs entries that correspond to the specified directories are displayed. OPTIONS
-h num Display num transactions from the ``head'' of the log. If the numeric parameter is 0, only the log header is displayed. -t num Display num transactions from the ``tail'' of the log. If the numeric parameter is 0, only the log header is displayed. -v Verbose mode. FILES
/var/nis/trans.log transaction log ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnisu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nis+(1), rpc.nisd(1M), nisfiles(4), attributes(5) NOTES
NIS+ might not be supported in future releases of the SolarisTM Operating Environment. Tools to aid the migration from NIS+ to LDAP are available in the Solaris 9 operating environment. For more information, visit http://www.sun.com/directory/nisplus/transition.html. SunOS 5.10 12 Dec 2001 nislog(1M)