Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Split and recombine question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Split and recombine question Post 302120497 by white_raven0 on Wednesday 6th of June 2007 05:20:44 PM
Old 06-06-2007
Split and recombine question

Hi guys

I would like to be able to split a large file into many smaller part. Then, these smaller files will be transfered onto a windows machine where they need to be recombined.

I think tar files may be the best to do this. How can I tar a large file into many small tar files which can be untared back into the large file in windows?

Thank you

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

split question perl

I am interested in 2 and 36th fields in this input file. I was wondering if there was a more efficeint way to do this. ($pt1,$bkup_name,$pt3,$pt4,$pt5,$pt6,$pt7,$pt8,$pt9, $pt10,$pt11,$pt12,$pt13,$pt14,$pt15,$pt16,$pt17, ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggiej
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split question

hi, I have a seemingly really stupid question, but here goes! What do you enter into split delimiter to seperate something like this "December 12, 1995" and get December 12 1995 ? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ade214
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File split question

I have a flat file in UNIX and I have to perform two tasks based on the below data. The data I have printed here is just sample the original data is too long. The position 110 to 111 (two digit value I have bolded the values) theygives the record type detail in the sample above the record types... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: techsavvy007
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple awk question: split field with :

Hi, Probably a very weak question.. but I have tried all I know.. BPC0001:ANNUL_49542 0.0108 -0.0226 -0.0236 0.0042 0.0033 -0.0545 0.0376 0.0097 -0.0093 -0.032 Control BPC0002:ANNUL_49606 0.0190 -0.0142 -0.0060 -0.0217 -0.0027 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to split one field and print the last two fields within the split part.

Hello; I have a file consists of 4 columns separated by tab. The problem is the third fields. Some of the them are very long but can be split by the vertical bar "|". Also some of them do not contain the string "UniProt", but I could ignore it at this moment, and sort the file afterwards. Here is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Perl Question - split function with csv file

Hi all, I have a csv file that appears as follows: ,2013/03/26,2012/12/26,4,1,"2017/09/26,5.75%","2017/09/26,1,2018/09/26,1,2019/09/26,1,2020/09/26,1,2021/09/26,1",,,2012/12/26,now when i use the split function like this: my @f = split/,/; the split function will split the data that is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
2 Replies

8. AIX

LV split...

Hi all, I have a strange problem that I have finally given up on and thought id start hitting the forums.. Any help is greatly appreiciated. I have recently attached two new physical disks to my system and created a new volume group which inlcude these. My aim, is to create a logical volume of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dansey
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split and Rename Split Files

Hello, I need to split a file by number of records and rename each split file with actual filename pre-pended with 3 digit split number. What I have tried is the below command with 2 digit numeric value split -l 3 -d abc.txt F (# Will Produce split Files as F00 F01 F02) How to produce... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: techedipro
19 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. AUTHOR
Written by Rene Scharfe. DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by David Greaves, Junio C Hamano and the git-list <git@vger.kernel.org[1]>. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.7.1 07/05/2010 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)