Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting to see space, tab, end of the line chracters Post 302120337 by convenientstore on Tuesday 5th of June 2007 10:10:12 PM
Old 06-05-2007
to see space, tab, end of the line chracters

what can I use ??
In vi, I can use :set list <-- and see end of line $.. or use cat -A but I am wondering if there is command or program that allows me to see all the hidden characters( space, tab and etc)

Please help

thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how can I read the space in the end of line

cat file1|while read i do echo "$i"|wc done with this command the space in the end of the line not considered how can solve that for example: read h "hgyr " echo "$h"|wc 4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ehab
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add white space to the end of a line with sed

Im trying to add 5 blank spaces to the end of each line in a file in a sed script. I can figure out who o put the spaces pretty much anywhere else but at the end. thanks Karl (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlanderson
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace new line ( \n ) with space or Tab in Sed

Hi, how to replace new line with tab in sed ... i used sed -e 's/\n/\t/g' <filename > but its not working (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed : replace space and end-of-line

Hi ! I'm rather new with sed ... learned a lot already by googling etc ... The following script should replace all spaces and ends-of-lines with "something (see below). #!/bin/bash i=0 while read line do fam="H`printf "%06d" $i`" echo $line | sed -e 's//\t'$fam'\n/g' i=$(($i+1))... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jossojjos
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace end of line with a space

for eg: i have i/p file as: ================ i wnt to change end of line ================= my require ouput is like: i wnt to change end of line ==================== (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line starting from space till end.

Hi, I have a code tag, from which i have the below snippet: intelrpt.GetCMB_FB type=ODBC> intelrpt.GetCMB_FB type=SYBASE> I want the output like: intelrpt.GetCMB_FB intelrpt.GetCMB_FB That is remove the lines starting from WHITESPACE till end. Please help. I am new to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Add space at the end of each line in linux

hi,. I am writing a small script in csh... Can any one tel me how to add space at end of each line in a file (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manju87
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove tab space and new line from a file using sed?

i am using the default sed package that comes with solaris. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding tab/new line at the end of each line of a file

Hello Everyone, I need a help from experts of this community regarding one of the issue that I am facing with shell scripting. My requirement is to append char's at the end of each line of a file. The char that will be appended is variable and will be passed through command line. The... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sourav Das
20 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing tab spaces at the end of each line

I have a file which contains the data lines like below.I want to remove the tab spaces at the end of each line.I have tried with the command sed 's/\+$//' file.but it does not work.Can anyone help me on this? 15022 15022 15022 15022 15022 15022 15023 15023 15023 15023 15023 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
16 Replies
XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)										 XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)

NAME
XmTabListInsertTabs -- A convenience function that inserts tabs into a tab list SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> XmTabList XmTabListInsertTabs( XmTabList oldlist, XmTab *tabs, Cardinal tab_count, int position); DESCRIPTION
XmTabListInsertTabs creates a new tab list that includes the tabs in oldlist. This function copies specified tabs to the tab list at the given position. The first tab_count tabs of the tabs array are added to the tab list. If oldlist is NULL, XmTabListInsertTabs creates a new tab list containing only the tabs specified. oldlist Specifies the tab list to add the tabs to. The function deallocates oldlist after extracting the required information. tabs Specifies a pointer to the tabs to be added to the tab list. It is the caller's responsibility to free the tabs in tabs by using XmTabFree. tab_count Specifies the number of tabs in tabs. position Specifies the position of the first new tab in the tab list. A value of 0 (zero) makes the first new tab the first tab in the tab list, a value of 1 makes it the second tab, and so on. If position is greater than the number of tabs in oldlist, then the tabs will be inserted at the end. If position is negative, the count will be backwards from the end. A value of -1 makes the first new tab the last tab, and so on. RETURN
If tabs is NULL or tab_count is 0 (zero), this function returns oldlist. Otherwise, it returns a new tab list. The function allocates space to hold the returned tab list. The application is responsible for managing the allocated space. The application can recover the allocated space by calling XmTabListFree. RELATED
XmTabList(3) and XmTabListFree(3). XmTabListInsertTabs(library call)